“Very enjoyable but didn't blow our minds” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Astrid & Gaston - CLOSED

Astrid & Gaston
Cuisines: Peruvian, Latin, Seafood, Chilean, South American
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Toronto, Canada
“Very enjoyable but didn't blow our minds”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

Service was excellent and set the tone for formal dining. Although our server's English was minimal and our Spanish non-existent, we managed to communicate just fine. We had a great table with a view of the kitchen. I enjoyed my shrimp appetizer more than my duck breast, which although flavourful wasn't as tender as I expected. My husband's scallops were delicious.

As stated in my title, we enjoyed it very much, but it didn't blow our minds. Somehow, after reading previous reviews, I was expecting just a bigger Wow.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

London, United Kingdom
“Excellent fine cuisine and thoughtful wine list”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

This restaurant is highly recommended. Service is courteous and efficient. The wine list is locally representative and features some wonderful Reservas wines. The food was beautifully prepared

1 Thank FoodCriticGuardian
Sydney, Australia
“Good but not life changing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

We had organised dinner at Astrid y Gaston prior to our trip to Chile as a belated wedding anniversary night out. I was really excited about the evening especially after some of the other foods we had already tried in Santiago.
The entrees were both delicious and HUGE! We were pleasantly surprised by our choice of the tasting plate and the scallops and couldn't wait for our mains.

Unfortunately, while the mains were very beautifully presented, we found that they weren't the standard we were expecting. My husband had the lamb which was delicious but didn't come with any real sides other than some small fried croquets. We would have much preferred some simple vegetables. As for my fish, it was interesting but slightly dry and the "mixed seafood" it was supposed to come with was actually just a tiny piece of octopus tentacle and a mussel.

The night itself was still very pleasant and the staff are very professional however overall, I didn't feel that it lived up to my expectations. The price was reasonable by western standards but definitely expensive for Chile.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Sarah H
Manaus
“very nice food not impressive place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

We loved the food and we had the tasting menu, staff was great also but we were not pleased by decoration

Visited May 2014
SAO PAULO
“best lamb ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

ordered patagonia lamb. Best lamb of my life so far. The wine list is fantastic and the sommelier will help you pair the wine and food. Don't miss the experience.

Visited April 2014