“Wonderful Experience”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
New York City, New York
“Wonderful Experience”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We love food and without a doubt our trip to Chile was highlighted with a visit to Astrid & Gaston. Our hotel made a early reservation (7:30 P.M) for dinner and we walked 2 blocked on a nice summer night to the restaurant.

The hostess spoke English which was nice since our Spanish is very limited. The place was not very crowded since it was a Wednesday and it was still early. The atmosphere was upscale but not overly stuffy. The service was just right for us. We are the type of people that likes our privacy and do not need overly attentive service. Our server knew exactly how to approach us and let us order and then left us alone unless I made eye contact and waved.

We choose to have the tasting menu since it was going to be a little bit of everything. The tasting menu had 6 courses and every one of them can stand up by itself. The best was definitely the pasta dish with crab. We both would not have minded if there was a whole plate of it. Also loved that they incorporated hominy in the dishes. The ultimate sign of a great meal is that at the end we were so full but had to finish every single bite of the dessert.

Overall I would definitely recommend Astrid & Gaston. Its one of the best places I have been to.

Sao Paulo, SP
“Great food, but poor overall experience”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I am spending the weekend in Santiago, as I had to go there for some business meetings. I took the opportunity to try the Chilean branch of the famous Astrid y Gaston restaurant. The food was great, amazing with a lot of creativity and very well prepared. However, that was it; all the rest and I really mean everything was very disappointing.
First, the decoration was old style and charmless.
Second, the service was very poor (the waiters were doing the minimum necessary to introduce the dishes), during my dinner no one offered more water when my glass was empty and all the times I had to serve myself for more wine, and the maitre had never come back to my table to ask how the dinner was going.
Third and most disappoint of all was the wine list, with a lack premium wines from Chile, basically there were only second labels of the great wineries from the country. A poor wine list is not acceptable for a restaurant that was elected the best in Latin America and which is located in one of the best places to produce wine in the world.

• Visited February 2014
4 Thank Hellomoto011
Sydney, Australia
“I've seen some negative review. this is not one!”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I have read some bad review of this world standard resteraunt here and I use trip advisor but I.ve just got back from the vresteraunt and I rate it 3 hats. I was dining solo. Got the booking just today and I had the tasting plates with matching wines. I can't praise it enough. Yes I drank a little too much but the dishes went from interesting to plain amazing and I got to taste alot of Peruvian wines that I hadn't seen. This is a foodies resteraunt and if you come to Santiuago and don't do this one your just a bloody fool!. Goodnight.

Los Angeles, California
“Don´t bother”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

We had looked forward to dinner here, but did not enjoy it at all. The service was poor, and the food was mediocre. We had the goat (one of their signature dishes) and it was dry and not flavorful. I think this restaurant is resting on its reputation, and no longer trying. The other customers seemed to be small groups of coworkers, maybe from nearby offices. We recommend trying Aqui esta Coco or Blue Jar or Bocanariz instead for a good dinner in Santiago.

1 Thank Benny207
“Overrated, but great staff”
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Friends in New York touted this restaurant, so we went on an important day. The chefs and kitchen are visible through glass from the dining room. Regretfully, I had a spaghetti dish with crabs which the chef completed by burying in a glue of cheese! I tried to peel the cheese from the seafood, the spaghetti was awful.
All the dishes had too much sauce, an Asian dish w rice, and chicken too well done. Perhaps they had a bad day? We skipped desert.

Visited December 2013