“It was a bust”

Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Vancouver
“It was a bust”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We had some superb meals in Santiago. Astrid y Gaston wasn't one of them. The colonial house has charm, but it's a rabbit warren, a hodge podge of rooms. You can land a great table downstairs with a view of the kitchen, a table in a corridor, adjacent to the bar, tucked away in a niche, next to the bathrooms, it's a crap shoot. The food was good, not brilliant, acceptable. Not what we expected based on reviews and not as good as elsewhere in Santiago. The service was very good, in that it was formal, the wine steward really knowledgeable. But oh-my-god did it take forever to get food. FOREVER. All around us people waited and waited and waited for food. Everyone was antsy and picking at bread and bored. At one point I heard an American a few tables away say quite sternly "I'm not going to sit here all night!" Hear hear.

It took a long time to get starters, which I thought might be a glitch, but when I saw all around the same thing happening it was painful, tiresome and ruined the evening, which was a special birthday night. It took, from the time we sat down until the time we were served our mains, 102 minutes. For a deuce! And this is one of the best restaurants in Santiago? Give it a rest.

The service staff are professional. That wasn't an issue. You can see through a glass wall the large, well-staffed kitchen. They were working. So either they have too many tables or are disorganized or, and this is what it seemed to us, there are some serious communication issues at stake between kitchen and floor staff. It reminded me of the Seinfeld episode with the car rental: You know how to take the reservation you just don't know how to [serve] the reservation.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Overseez

new york city
“Outstanding in everyway”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

In March my wife and I had dinner at Astrid and Gaston. it had a lot of hype on different websites and we were hesitant to go there since we were sure it was a tourist trap. We were wrong. The restaurant is in a very beautiful colonial style building and inside it has a big windowed kitchen that dominants the downstairs restaurant and can be felt and seen on the upstairs balcony. There is a more private room upstairs but to get the feel of this special place one should ask for a table next to the windowed kitchen. The food is Peruvian and delicious. The waiter was helpful but not intrusive and we loved everything they recommended. the wine list was extensive and reasonable. It is a must go to restaurant!

• Visited March 2013
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Disappointed”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had high expectations of this restaurant given the reputation of the others in the group. I agree that the setting is lovely and that the menu is interesting. For an appetizers my wife had pescado frito which was uninteresting and bland (but very large), while I had croquetas de camarones which were lightly breaded and fried, and served on a puree of sweet potato (or something similar)--again good but nothing special (and too big). For main courses she had a veal dish (good, not great) and I had the corderito de Patagonia--again I had high expectations given the fame of this Chilean dish. It was very good, not memorable, and the best thing about the plate was the selection of croquettes made of mashed potatoes and stuffed with chorizo or mincemeat.
We had indifferent service and felt ignored at times. For example, we ordered coffee that never came. And, the sommelier who gave us great advice on wines by the glass (excellent choices) seemed to lose interest once it was clear that we were not getting an expensive bottle--he never returned.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Steve P
London, United Kingdom
“It was ok.”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

It is a cool little restaurant, but I was not impressed with the food at all. The food was a bit salty, but it seems to be the norm in the South American countries I have been to. My friend accompanying me is vegetarian and loves salty dishes, but even to her, the food was too salty. Service was ok, the sommelier was moody, but we chose to overlook this then. A bit overpriced in my opinion.

• Visited February 2013
Singapore, Singapore
“Enjoyable meal & attentive service”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Having missed this restaurant whilst in Lima, I booked the Santiago sister on line for a Saturday night about a month in advance on line and received a response the same day.

Sitting downstairs, we had a full view of the kitchen - separated by a full glass wall. We shared the 3 ceviche appetizer, 3 different styles and had differing fish main courses - all enjoyable and well presented. The sommelier was excellent, especially as we were not that familiar with Chilean wine - he recommended an excellent red (de Martinio), most enjoyable, which didn't break the bank.

The restaurant was full, but the atmosphere quite subdued - the tables are well spaced apart, so you don't get to hear other diners' conversations. It's not a cheap restaurant, but it is in a lovely building and a beautiful room in which to enjoy the flavours.

I would return.