“Great service and location”
Review of W Santiago

W Santiago
Ranked #38 of 196 Hotels in Santiago
San Francisco, California
“Great service and location”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed 5 nights for work and received one of the best services at the W so far. Staff were very friendly, arranged my transportation during my stay and upgraded me to a suite. Breakfast buffet is descent and they have amazing bars throughout the hotel serving tasty cocktails. The rooms are nice and clean but the only complaint I have is the lighting. It's very difficult to figure out the light switches and even if you turn on all the lights the room is dark. The living room had only 2 light bulbs and was so dark that I didn't even bother sitting there at night.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
WSantiago, Guest Relations Manager at W Santiago, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Hello Cardinalbeagle

Greetings from W Santiago!

Thank you for sharing your comments concerning your stay at W Santiago!

Thank you for your feedback concerning the illumination in the rooms. Guest comments are very important to us, we will be taking it into consideration.

We are very happy to know that you had a wonderful time. We thank you for pointing our the friendly staff and service given. We are glad to know you enjoyed our facilities.

We hope to see you soon.

Best Wishes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Turkish first
Vina del Mar, Chile
Reviewed September 3, 2013

What a shame. This hotel could be really good but, unfortunately, fell way short of the big dollars it charges in cleanliness and organisation. Check-in was run by amateurs trying to appear ¨very cool¨ but at 35 mins. this was the longest check-in I have ever experienced. To find our room we were escorted by a friendly, English speaking "assistant" who informed us that: whatever we needed we were to call 0. I needed medicine or a pharmacy close by. I rang "0". No answer. I called again to be told the Hotel could NOT help me. Arh huh!. It is never ideal for guest to have to leave their hotel in order to get some service a purported 4/5 star hotel should normally provide.

The beds were extremely comfortable, though. The room itself was very average with filthy drapes. It wasn´t particularly spacious. It reminded me of a Best and Westin. It was a good thing we could open a window because the air-conditioning had one setting. Cold. It was freezing when we first walked in. It couldn´t be fixed.

The hotel is supposed to be dimly lit - I get that. But when you can´t actually see your way down the corridor, or when there isn't sufficient light to see oneself in the bathroom mirror (hello. We girls need to apply make-up!) the "hip " Hotel quickly loses its hipness. There were simply to many impractical design features to make the experience enjoyable.

Room service did take the 40 mins. they said it would and, the snack I ordered was delicious. But why would they serve it on the oldest, tatty stained linen. The tray was also not wiped clean. Something so basic!

There was no finesse to this Hotel. Superficial-scratch-the-surface and you found a very tired impersonation of a 5 star hotel. For me it was a Hostel for those more interested in being seen than in service.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Kate A
WSantiago, Public Relations Manager at W Santiago, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Hello Kate A,

I would like to start by apologizing for all the things you have mentioned, these events surely do not reflect the type of service we are used to give. We regret greatly knowing that we could not meet your expectations, especially because of service related circumstances.

I have shared your comments with the rest of the W Santiago team in order to work on improving all the points indicated.

We hope on some future stay we can amend this situation

Warmest Regards,
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed September 3, 2013

W Santiago is a great, modern hotel. Big room, big bathroom, good space to setup your office-on-the-road.
The only nuissance I found is that access to the hotel requires to use two elevators: as there is a shopping center in the same building, you have to get an elevator to reach the reception, then another one to reach your room. Nothing very bad, but be advised when you come in carrying many bags!

Hello Rocmayer

Thank you so much for sharing at Tripadvisor your experience in W Santiago!

We appreciate greatly your comments and the fact that you enjoyed your time at our hotel.

Warmest Wishes!
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the hotel for 5 nights (3 day work and 1 weekend for pleasure) with my fiancee.

We loved the hotel. Great, spacious rooms and exceptional service.

The concierge gave us great tips about plans for the weekend. They booked for us a great winery tour (ruta del vino).

We asked for a sewing kit and it was delivered slmost instantly.

The restaurant is great, and the breakfast is the best of all w hotels i have been to.

It has a very nice lounge bar, with sophisticated ambience at night.

The location is in the financial district, near a metro station.

Highly recommended for business or also for tourists.

• Stayed August 2013
Hello Mbarallat

Greetings from W Santiago!

Thank you for writing about your experience at our Hotel.

We are very thrilled to know you enjoyed your time with us. Thank you for acknowledging our concierge team and the different services we offer.

We hope to see you soon for another W Santiago experience.

Warmest Wishes
New York
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Conducted a business conference. Outstanding organization!
The rooms, meetings area and restaurants are great!
The hotel management has been kind enough to upgrade rooms. The corporate team was attentive and understood our special needs.

Room Tip: Look for a suit if you can afford it
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
WSantiago, Guest Relations Manager at W Santiago, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Hello openhorizon

Greetings from W Santiago!

I would like to start by thanking you for taking your time to write about your experience at our hotel. We are very glad to know that you enjoyed the Banquets services as well as the rooms. Its very important for us to know that our staff was helpfull with your needs and that you also enjoyed our restaurants.

Thank you once again for your comments

Wishing you a lovely day.

Best Regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2013

This was my second stay and I was looking forward to return here, as its probably one of the better hotels I get to stay in for work. As an SPG Gold you get options for free wifi or extra points.
Location is perfect for the finance district. There are lots of good and varied restaurants on the main road and the mall for shopping is easy to walk to. The centre is not that close, but a short taxi ride as is the restos/bar/shopping area of Bella Vista.

Great things W hotel does:
- Pillows, comfortable huge beds;
- Luxurious soft furnishings;
- Use of the O2 gym downstairs
- Spacious rooms (WONDERFUL ROOM)
-Takeaway breakfast option
-Great restaurants - Osaka & NoSo
-Whatever whenever service - including fixing my shoe in an emergency!
-huge showers with nice smelling toiletries
-nightly chocolate Alfajora
- Oh and did I mention the spa. The massages are great value and amazing.

Things to grumble (slightly) about. They will not ruin a stay, but are just a little exasperating:
- Aloofness of some staff, particularly at breakfast. If you're there for more than a week I expect some recognition and a few smiles;
- Inability of breakfast staff to make a proper cup of tea. You do not pour milk and hot water in a cup then give me the teabag. Please educate all the staff on how to make a proper cup of English tea. Otherwise I will do it myself.
- This is a point I made in my last review of the hotel. There is not enough of a healthy choice selection for breakfast cereals. All the cereals are overladen with sugar. The one semi-healthy option constantly ran out. I expect for this class of hotel a choice of healthy options, gluten free to cater for international tastes, not just the sweeter tastebuds of the region.
- Not serving breakfast before 6.30. I had 2 early flights during my stay and had to leave at 6am yet no ability to grab something quick unless I chose room service & paid extra. Given the number of early international and national departure, I think the hotel could do a little better.

Minor grumbles aside, the W exudes a cool vibe and for a few days this rubs off on you, making you feel more like a international jetsetter than a weary business person in another city and another hotel. Kudos.

Room Tip: Higher floors give better views.
1 Thank NiaNat
Hello NiaNat

Thank you so much for that great detailed feedback. Its nice to know that you enjoy staying at our hotel.

I have informed the Beverage & Food Department about your points concerning the breakfast. It is true that our breakfast starts serving at 6:30 am, though we have a coffee station next to the Welcome Desk ( Reception) that is set up at 5 am. We will though consider a better option.

We re very happy to know that you enjoy all the services that our hotel offeres. Thank you, once again for all your comments

Hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Arrival close to midnight... and nobody at reception for 15min
Voicemail not working ... and hotel policy not allowing to take a message from somebody calling for a guest
Room not made by 6PM ... and still not by 10PM
Check out not possible for hours due to a systems upgrade...
And not once did we hear the word
Sorry

So next time we will be in Santiago, we will spend $290 per night in another hotel, sorry

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
3 Thank Lata67
Hello lata67 ,

Thank you for selecting our Hotel and for sharing your experience with us. We are truly sorry for the situations you mentioned, it surely does not reflect the type of service we are used to give. Please know that we will take corrective actions in order to improve in all the points you mentioned.

We are truly sorry that these situations affected your overall experience.

I would like to also thank you for your feedback, it will surely help us imporve.