“Overrated”

Ranked #41 of 196 Hotels in Santiago
Singapore
“Overrated”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Yes it is a modern nice building. As you expect from any W's - it is artsy, classy and chic. Beautifully adorned with modern art paintings and sculptures. Rooms are good size. Buffet breakfast has a good offering. We also tried the restaurant at the basement call Coquinara (i think) - it is a grocery/restaurant - nice ambience, excellent menu range and good food, nice service. Location - it is located in the modern spanking new and chic chic part of the city. That means - safe to walk around. lots of cool bars and restaurants within walking distance.

Downside? - I am all for modern artsy look. However it must be matched by practicality. Obviously someone overlooked this when designing the rooms and corridors. The corridors are dimly lit and depressing. The rooms were so dim and you cannot do anything meaningful. For the ladies - good luck in trying to put on your makeup. Simple reading is a challenge.I have never a room with so many mirrors yet most are of little use - too dark. The other pet hate is - why can't they have a door between the room and the bathroom? It means when you are done with showering, you feel cold from the aircond draft from the room.
I am not impressed with the front desk service either. Maybe someone told them that to be chic and cool they have to be haughty.

Oh yes before I forget - they advertise afair bit about their roof top bar and their rooms with a view of the Andes. They've some excellent pictures to show. The reality is this - you can only see the Andes during the very clear days of winter. Most of the other time - it is hazy. You won't miss much staying somewhere without the so-call Andean view.

Would I recommend this W? - No. I have been others, they are much better all around incld practical stuff and service level. In Santiago, if I am back, I probably pick a location closer to Bella Vista - that area is more bohemian, and much more character then the sterile environment of W and its surrounds.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed here for a business trip for 3 nights. The hotel is nice and modern although its hard to navigate at first as the reception is on the 4th floor and then a different set of elevator shafts take you up to the rooms.

My room was nice if a little dark. The walk in shower was cool and the bed was very comfortable. Everything was very clean too.

Service was hit and miss. When I arrived at 1pm I was told I would have to wait at least an hour for a room as they were doing some work. Officially check in was at 3pm so I guess that is fair but usually hotels can be more accomodating. After spending 20+ hours travelling from London all i wanted was a shower. In the meantime I had a very nice lunch at the terrace.

Anyway at 3pm i asked for a room and was told it wasnt ready yet so I flatly told them I wanted a room and mysteriously they found me one! They said my bag would be sent straight up to the room but 25mins later I am still waiting then I call them and they say it will be sent up, 10 mins later no sign...in the end I had to go back down and get angry and demand my bag before it appeared. So 2 and a half hours after arriving I finally got a shower.

Other than this the service wasnt too bad and my breakfasts were delivered on time. But as a place to stay on business I dont recommend the W. The Ritz Carlton in Santiago has far better service even if the rooms arent as cool.

Also note the roof top bar is currently closed which was a shame. I still went up there for the fabulous views but you cant get a drink.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Massachusetts
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We debated between the W and another high-end hotel in Santiago. So glad that we picked the W. It has an outdoor infinity pool on the roof looking out towards the Andes. It also has umbrellas and cabanas to hide during the heat of the day. The boutique in the hotel is fabulous. Breakfast was the best we have ever had in any hotel. (They even have complimentary vodka and champagne for morning cocktails!) The hotel has a tremendous sushi/Peruvian restaurant. It is also within walking distance of other great restaurants and some pretty good shopping. It is not in the downtown - a plus for us, but maybe not for everybody.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Virginia
Reviewed February 16, 2013

The corner room was ok. We knew in advance that the bathtub would be in the middle of the room, and found it to be more of a trip hazard at night than a romantic element. Overall, the hotel hallways and our room were very dimly lit. It was tough to find a place to read. Thank goodness we had lots of windows. We ate in the hotel several times. The buffet breakfast was very good, with made to order eggs available and lots of juices and fruits. I would avoid the outdoor terrace because of all the smokers. At dinner one evening, we were presented with the wine list on an iPad. We ordered a couple of glasses and were dismayed when the wines presented were a few years younger than indicated in the wine list. Since there are not very many wines offered by the glass, it should not be hard to keep the data base current.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bill H
WSantiago, Guest Relations Manager at W Santiago, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Hello!
Thank you so much for your review and feedback.
Maybe next time you visit us you can ask for a different cool corner so the bathtub isn´t in the middle of the room! We have three options of this room =)
Also big thanks for the feedback on the wine list on our iPads. Our Beverage and Food team will look into that immediately.
All the best,
Natalia
W Insider
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed February 15, 2013

The W in Santiago is missing the W wow factor. The service overallis quite average - from the check in to the bar. I called the what ever line to ask about the fitness area and the answer was "I think so". I must say the spectacular room is nice and the terrace certainly is a big plus, however, two people getting ready is simply not possible - the sink area in the bathroom is quite tight. Had lunch at one of the restaurants - Osaka, Food was quite good but service was not the best. Sitting now at the bar - quite poor service and a little bit irritating. The bar tender, Rosa, caters to the older male client and pays little attention to females (solo or group) sitting at the bar. In short, nice but I definitely miss the wow of other W hotels like the in Boston.

Room Tip: Ask for direct mountain view. If you are two people, ask for a room with a double vanity.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Hong Kong
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I stayed at the W Santiago for a total of three nights over two separate stays over the the Christmas and New Year period.

Property is a nice location, slightly away from the centre but pretty well connected. There are a lot of decent restaurants/cafes within walking distance.

The building itself is ok, however the lay-out is a little confusing and some parts, e.g. corridors are starting look a bit worn and grubby. Some weird design features as well - make sure no one is taking a shower in the bathroom when you open the room door - there is a window into the shower right next to the entrance in the standard rooms and so people can see in.

As with a quite a few Ws the big issue here is service; it is pretty poor and it seems, surprisingly for an international hotel, that if you speak Spanish fluently or are local you get better treatment and service than if not.

Some examples:
Getting drinks or any kind of service at the poolside bar is tortuously slow - the girl on duty gave the impression it was a major inconvenience to speak to you let alone take your order
At breakfast we were told that the restaurant was full and that our party of two would have to sit outside in the bar area. This was closely followed by ~6 other parties of 2 - 4 people who were ushered straight inside. Never experienced this before.
At the hotel late bar we were welcome in at the front desk, however then the waitress tried to seat my girlfriend and me at table with only one seat despite almost all other tables being empty - we tried to reason with her but she told us all other tables were taken, eventually after complaining to the bartender he spoke to her fairly directly and we were grudgingly shown to a table
On arrival we asked if we would be upgraded - line with the SPG membership policy if there are free rooms. The receptionist told me the hotel was "100% full" and so this was not possible. I clarified this with her and she again assured me this was not possible and repeated that the hotel was 100% full, however Bell boy confirmed then told me they were running at about 50-60% occupancy. Again, eventually after a phone call with the Manager we were very grudgingly we received an upgrade to a slightly better room.

The constant attitude and sloppy service leaves a very poor taste and would not recommend staying here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank donnytrvl
Reviewed February 14, 2013

The rooftop pool (although the bar was closed and no alcohol could be served) saved what threatened to be a washout at this property. Room wasn't ready when we arrived (in the evening, not at noon), we were put on a smoking floor, and on a lower floor without a balcony, despite our requests. Stylish, if you like that sort of style. Wouldn't stay there again, but wouldn't turn down an afternoon at the pool, either.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple