“Great place ... but mainly outside the room!”
Review of W Santiago

W Santiago
Ranked #36 of 202 Hotels in Santiago
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I love the feeling of the W but unfortunately ... outside the room! I have stayed several times at the hotel over the past 2 years and whatever the room type, the problem is always the same. Very little light in the room and - a lot worse - in the bathroom too. No way to know whether you are well shaven and, for the ladies, how the make up looks like! I have complained several times about this issue in the past but they just do not care! A real pity as the problem could be solved easily without affecting the overall feeling in the room. There is also no steam extractor in the shower and as a result the bathroom quickly fills with steam and humidity. A pity as the shower is nice and spacious and one would love to stay longer.
The rooms ending in .18 (718, 818, etc.) can be noisy as they are located by the elevators and people talking while waiting for the elevator can clearly be heard in the room. Heavier doors would probably have fixed this issue.
On the positive side the rooms are rather large and clean and the bed sheets are a real pleasure. The rooms are well equipped, all with ironing table and iron as well as with ipod/iphone deck.
Wi-Fi is good and fast, no problem. The restaurants are good too and breakfast is excellent if you manage to get a table (the last two times I had to queue for over 15 minutes to get a table).
Overall the feeling that the W Santiago could be a great place if more attention were paid to details and customer needs.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,751)

Reviewed December 6, 2012

This is honestly the worse stay I had in W hotels and in any hotels arround the world. I was shocked by how pushy and bluntly lying the doormen ("W ambassadors) were. Every time when I walked out of the hotel and asked for a TAXI, the doorman pushy me onto a hotel car because according to them this is the TAXI. There were 4 of them at the door and none of them was willing to go on the street to hail a taxi for me. Later, I learned to tell them I need a regular taxi but a hotel car still showed up everytime. And they told me oh it's short distance, hotel car and taxis are similar price. Please, your guests are not stupid. After taking hotel car to my destination, I took a taxi back and it cost 1/5 of the hotel car price. I have never ever stayed in a hotel where the doormen make such a push for hotel cars. It just shows how inconsiderate and greedy your hotel staff are.

Seperately, every time I requested room service, it took 20-30 mins for the items to arrival. Never had such long wait in 5 star hotels before either.

Other than that, the rooms are not the most innovative among W hotels and the SPA is shared with the W residence so it feels more like a gym than a sanctum. Nothing special. The swimming pool on the terrace looked old (comparing to the W taipei's swimming pool, this one is really dodgy)

Overall the building is quite new and the night clubs/restaurants are hopping. I thought it was a good idea to stay here to have easy access to nightlife. Yes, this is true but I'd rather stay in a place where you are well taken care of next time!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Chance_is_everywhere
WSantiago, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at W Santiago, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Hello chance_is_everwhere,

First of all we would like to thank you for comments. We are so sorry that your stay was not up to your expectations and that you were left with a bad impresion of W Santiago. We have taken note of all your comments and are working on making sure situations like yours don't occur again. This way we can constantly be improving.

We hope if you're ever in Santiago again you will give us a second chance to wow you.

Once again, thank you for feedback.

Best,

Reviewed November 28, 2012

As stylish as all W hotels, with good facilities, great breakfast etc. Great location next to many restaurants and bars. Superb wine shop and cafe in the same building.

Sometimes, there is a tendency for style over practical substance, e.g. when the only place that the maid can hang the dressing gown is on the only hooks in the bathroom that are, unfortunately, directly below the shower, you know that the design "isn't quite right"

Very close (~15 minutes walk) to the newly opened mega (=nothing distinctive) Costanera shopping mall

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 24, 2012

This hotel is wonderfully decorated. Pool is awesome. Our room was huge. Breakfast (included in rate) was copious. Nice walking area. We loved the W. Service was quite efficient (one episode of room service bizarreness). I know others have complained but we were farily well attended to during our stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 24, 2012

We stayed in the W for thre nights. In general this hotel is very good. We stayed in a Cool corner room which was large and comfy - could not be faulted. The pool was also superb, it is on the rooftop with great views of snow capped mountains (we did virtually have it to ourselves though -as it is quite small if there were more people could soon become crowded). The bar is ok, if expensive and the staff generally very helpful.

The one major issue. Is the complete lack of information. There was apparently three restaurants, but no information about them, where they were or when they were open (two closed on a Sunday, and the other was hidden away). In addition, great though it is, no hint in the room that therewas a pool, or that it had to be accessed by a different lift set. Simple things like this would have improved the experience.

It is a nice safe area with lots of restaurants nearby (even on a Sunday although the concierge may say otherwise). The metro is also only 5 mins away if you want to get to he centre.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark G
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I stayed one night at the W on my way to Patagonia. I was upgraded to a "Fanatastic" suite. The room had great windows with views of the city and the mountains. Great walk-in shower and a large tub. I ordered room service and the service felt very personalized. There was some language confusion on the phone regarding my order but it just lead to an opportunity to learn for both of us. I tried and enjoyed Austral beer and Lucuma ice cream with coconut and enjoyed both additions to my meal.
I asked about a taxi when checking in and had one reserved for very early the next morning. I had not realized that they added the taxi charge to my room. This was actually convenient but since it was not made clear to me I tried to pay the taxi driver. Luckily he was honest and refused the additional payment.
I ran into a problem when I left the hotel about 4 am. I walked out of my room and went to the elevator but it turned out to be a service elevator and the door opened to an area that clearly was not for guests. After a couple attempts I ended up in the lobby of the W Residences and then had to find my way back to the hotel lobby. There were few people around and the ones I found did not speak English but I finally managed to find someone to lead me to the front desk of the hotel and then wait for me and escort me to the waiting taxi. It was a disconcerting experience. So don't get in an elevator that looks in the least odd.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 22, 2012

The hotel room was spacious and clean, and service was good (although you'd think they would deliver jam with the rather tasteless pastries, but otherwise food was really good).

There was nothing wrong with the hotel, but it just wasn't my style. The room is designed with style in mind, not function. The room is super-dark which is unfortunate because I like to wind down by reading at night. Reading is impossible there. And there are no comfortable chairs in the room so you can relax and/or watch TV.

The bar looks like it is for the in-crowd, but not for un-trendy types like me.

Beds were comfortable. The room serves its function and I don't have anything against the W, it just isn't my type of place.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are pricier but larger.