“The best hotel in Santiago de Chile”
Review of W Santiago

W Santiago
Ranked #36 of 202 Hotels in Santiago
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I have been in this hotel more than one time and the experience is always great.
The best location, great rooms W style, the restaurants are fantastic and the personal are helful and friendly all the time. Breakfast is certanely one of the best in town.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank patricio s

Reviewed September 26, 2012

We just got back from our South American trip and loved every minute of our stay at the W Santiago! Located in the very upscale neighborhood of El Golf, we could walk to the city's best restaurants, nightlife and even the metro for sightseeing. Because of my Starwood Gold status, we were upgraded to a corner room (Room 1107) with a huge wrap around balcony that overlooked the city and the snow-capped Andes mountains. The rooftop pool was amazing with even more spectacular views and we danced the night away at their Whiskey Blue club on Saturday night. I loved the food and drinks at all of their bars and restaurants and the customer service was friendly and definitely lived up to their Whatever/Whenever manta. Thank you W Santiago and I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank 5_Star_Holly
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I have mixed feelings about this place. The staff was really friendly and helpful as was my experience with everyone in Santiago. When I had had an issue they seemed genuinely concerned and interested in helping me. However I did have issues with my stay. The hotel itself is nice, the rooftop pool was a great location to relax after a long trip and work week in Santiago (although the rooftop bar was closed unfortunately but they still had service for the pool via a woman who would take orders and bring it up from the lobby bar). The lobby was typical W style, nice and modern. The room was a bit odd. The door opened to a long narrow hallway to access the main part of my room. It wasnt a large room but fine for a single person. The bed was typical hotel comfy. The strangeness however really peaked in the bathroom. For the most part it was again, typical W, modern and clean. However someone thought it would be a great idea to have a shower with a large floor to ceiling window looking out onto the street. This was, to the best of my ability to judge, a normal window, not a one way window. So in other words as you entered the shower, presumably naked, anyone looking into your window from the street could see you naked. Now maybe the window was reflective and I couldnt tell but it was a bit shocking at first. Even when you are actually in the shower area you are still visible, while naked, to the street (or at least the street is to you). Now I am not a shy person so I didnt really care much, not enough to ask for another room but I figure it is something to mention as most people I am sure will have an issue with this. I am sure if I did ask they would have moved rooms for me but nonetheless it is one of those ideas that sounds great for an architect but not for a person actually using the room.

The real issue came with my booking. I was hosted at the hotel by a partner company who I had come to work with and made my reservations. They had booked my room for Wednesday night through Friday night with checkout Saturday. Since I had made such a long trip I decided to stay on my own dime for another night and made a reservation with my Starwood points. Originally I made my reservation for 2 nights because I misunderstood my contact from my partner company and thought I would have to take care of my Friday night stay. So after arriving at the airport and my contact meeting me and told me of my reservation dates I wanted to try to cancel one night of my reservation from my starwood points reservation. Now when I arrived after 20+ hours of travel at midnight I was a bit tired and out of it. My contact was talking to the front desk person (In Spanish) to check me in. I handed two copies of my starwood reservation and asked the front desk person (in English) to cancel one night from my reservation but keep the second night (Saturday night) unaltered. I then asked if it was possible to not move rooms through my stay. The front desk person acknowledged my request nodded and took my confirmations, gave me my key and I thought I was all set.

After a nice week in Santiago I went to the front desk Sunday night (my flight was a redeye so I hung out in Santiago during the day after leaving my bags at reception) to get my pholio. It was then that I was told that I had to close my account and was handed a bill for my room Saturday night. I was a bit surprised and started to explain my situation. They again were very friendly and seemed to genuinely want to fix the issue. Apparently there was a misunderstanding which was understandable given the language difference (I spoke english not spanish) and they had cancelled my starwood points reservation and thought I wanted them to bill my room at the standard rate to my credit card.

I left with things unresolved, as they pointed out starwood was a separate company from The W and they couldnt simply charge me directly for my Saturday stay with points since that had to be done through starwood. They said they would sort out the issue when the manager came in the next morning and would talk to starwood and get everything settled and email me later to give an update and explanation. It has been over a week and a half and no word from them. My 24,000 points for my 2 day reservation have not been returned to my account so I am not sure what is going on. At the same time I have not been charged for my Saturday night stay on my credit card either. While I would like to get my 12,000 points back from my Friday stay that I did not use and asked to have cancelled when I checked in I supposed I should be thankful I didnt get charged 24,000 points and a full night stay on my credit card.

All in all I would recommend this hotel, it is in a good location, near metro stop and restaurants and offers a friendly staff and other typical W amenities/expectations. I just caution that when you do make alterations to your booking that you make an effort to confirm your wishes have been communicated correctly. Ultimately I feel like the onus is on me, to communicate clearly and confirm that what I am saying is being understood since I am not speaking the local language. However I would still appreciate an update to my situation so I am not sitting in limbo so to speak.

Room Tip: Ask about the bathrooms, specifically the showers and if you are a shy person ask for a room without...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
WSantiago, Guest Relations Manager at W Santiago, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Hello EsteM18,
First of all thank you very much for taking your time to give us a review on your experience with us and we apologize for this confusion.
I have forwarded your comments to our SPG/Welcome Desk team and hope that this has been solved, if not we will make sure to do so A.S.A.P.
If not please do not hesitate to contact us at the hotel and ask to speak with our SPG Champion.
Regards,
Natalia
W Insider

Reviewed September 17, 2012

I was at the W last week.
The location was perfect for many of my customer visits.
I was able to walk to several locations (engineering firms) and overall very productive.
It is a bit pricing, but honestly, I felt it was solid value for the dollar.
There were also good places to eat - all within walking distances.

The breakfast was very good. The staff was excellent!
I will stay there again.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Well positioned in a clean and nice area surrounded by good restaurants.
Not addicted by W but I enjoyed it. I was in business trip and stayed 3 nights. Rooms are spacious, fancy bathrooms wth good toiletries, slippers and bathrobe. At the 9th floor I has a little mountains view in the mornings, before fog/smog covers it.
Extremely friendly and useful personnel, speaking good English. Typical breakfast but good with fresh squeezed juices.
The rib steak I had in the restaurant was prepared as requested, of course, the local wines…..
Got late checkout (USD 50 charge without SPG status) but not applied on the bill.

Room Tip: high floor gives you a wiew otherwise the sourounding buildings obstruct it
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We spent an overnight at the W before heading to the wine country outside Santiago. It was my wife's 50th and we were treated like royalty (they brought, to our room, a celebratory B-day cake after we returned from dinner, around 10:00PM... just one example of the efforts they made to make our brief stay an absolute pleasure). They upgraded our room (we used a travel service to book the room) to an immense and beautifully appointed suite with a spacious balcony/patio (all this for an additional charge of 50.00 USD... unbelievable!). The local area is both charming and safe. The breakfast was best I/we have ever had in a major urban hotel anywhere in the world (many times better than anything I have experienced in the US). I wouldn't think of staying anywhere else!!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChusyTravellers
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I stayed here this past weekend with my brother while he was visiting me in Chile. We found the hotel over decorated and over the top. The rooftop pool was obviously stunning with the view of the Andes and we had a decent ceviche at the bar but aside from that, we found the whole place lackluster.

The club was incredibly lame and full of fat old businessmen hitting on young foreign girls. On top of that, the elevator situation was kind of ridiculous. To get anywhere you had to take two separate elevators which after a while just got kind of annoying. I understand Las Condes is a wealthy, beautiful residential area close to art galleries but I would have preferred to have been a little closer to an area like Lastarria or Bellavista for the dining and going out options for young people

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Hello Michelle,
Thank you for your comments, it is a shame your experience didn´t live up to your expectations.
We have shared your comments with the team and we hope you give us a second chance if you are ever back in Santiago!
Regards,