“Excellent Stay in Santiago”
Review of Casa Provence

Casa Provence
Ranked #36 of 160 Santiago B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 21, 2011

We are a couple from NZ doing a round the world trip. This b&b is one of the nicest on our trip so far (4 months). It's more like staying at a friend's house. Made very special by the friendly staff, especially Maria Teresa who made us home made empanadas to share Chilean food with us! She spoke excellent English and was very kind and helpful.

Set in a renovated villa, the rooms are large, kitted with a basin and tv and wifi throughout. We had 5 nights here at the upstairs double room with a balcony for 32000 pesos/night with breakfast inclusive. Breakfast is very good with bread, jam, ham, cheese, fruit and eggs.

The bathrooms are shared but they are modern and cleaned daily. One bathroom between every two rooms so wasn't a problem at all.

The place is secure, and the nearest metro is 15min walk away (Salvador) and services town centre, single fare 700 pesos so very convenient. There is a supermarket and laundromat three blocks away. There is a well kept garden with gazebo to sit under as well as a space to hang washing.

Overall, an excellent place to stay in Santiago, thanks guys!

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Kiwiworldtour
There are newer reviews for Casa Provence

Reviewed September 26, 2011

I spent about a week at this great bed and breakfast (I would not consider it a hostel because the feeling was much more that of a home and there was a lot of privacy and comfort). Maria Teresa was the caretaker at night and in the early mornings and she made my stay incredibly comfortable. There were a few issues with the electricity and the room when I arrived (it was winter and I wanted to make sure the heat would work!) and she was attentive and quick to resolve the problem. She was consistently kind and generous and even gave me detailed directions (after spending quite some time doing online research) to a local market where I could find rare ingredients for making a specific meal for my grandmother who was sick. The place was clean, comfortable and conveniently located close to my family's residence in Santiago. I recommend this place completely. And I thank Maria Teresa immensely for her special way of making sure guests were happy here.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank rebecacristina
Reviewed September 3, 2011

The hostal is in a converted house, but it is quite cold and noise travels, so the 24 hour reception can be quite disturbing at night. There are some nice members of staff, who are helpful. There was a member of staff, possibly the owner, who was not particularly friendly, very clinical and cold. The hostal is situated in a quiet neighbourhood, quite far from the centre of the city.
I probably would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 27, 2011

we spent 4 nights here and it wasn´t long enough! the hostal is set in a beautiful converted house and provided the perfect base for our stay in santiago. the owners were super helpful - the chattiest, loveliest people you could hope to meet. they organised a great all-inclusive skiing day trip (which we highly recommend), ordered numerous taxis for us, and generally helped us with our every need. breakfast was plentiful and the communal dining area was great for meeting fellow travelers. the area of providencia is a great neighbourhood with restaurants and cafes not far from romandia. it was a great choice for us!

Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank daveandrol
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Very helpful people, comfortable beds, enjoyed the breakfast... felt like going to a friend's home!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank sandpitrun
Reviewed March 5, 2010

Im staying in Hostal Romandia for 3 month now. It is a beautiful hostal, great location, nice area here in providencia and the owners of the hostal are very very friendly and helpful people.
Last weekend the earthquake in santiago was a big shock for me because I never experienced something like that before.
But I was surprised when I left the house two days later to go downtown. I havent seen any destroyed or damaged buldings and the city just didnt looked like an earthquake had taken place.
Eventhough many tourists cancel their trip to Chile, friends from Germany will come to visit me. The highways to the coast arent damaged, nor any streets in the city and even the airport works normal again so that we have the possibility to travel.
I also saw many tourists in the center of the city behaving as if nothing happened and enjoying their vacations in Santiago.
So if you planned a trip to Chile and Santiago dont be afraid of the bad news and horrible pictures you see in tv. Its something horrible that happened last week, but people try to go back to normal life.
So enjoy Santiago, because its worth visiting =)

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank lenitaFrankfurt
Reviewed August 11, 2009

My two friends and I stayed at this hostel for a few days in July. It was the nicest hostel we stayed in during our travels. Very clean, good breakfast with a nice variety, accomodating staff. It's on a safe, quiet street near the Italian Embassy. The bus picks up a few blocks away with easy access to the Metro. I'd happily recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends