“Great value, perfect if you have a vehicle and plan to go to the mountains.”

Santiago Hillside Hotel
Ranked #159 of 202 Hotels in Santiago
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Quaint, clean, and full of character. The service was excellent, except for the manager who even charged us extra for coffee on our 6th morning. Veronica was totally different and super helpful. And... Good luck turning your car around, and they need a mirror to help with turning back onto the dangerous mining road. All in all, would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Fishador
There are newer reviews for Santiago Hillside Hotel

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We also experienced payment issues at this hotel in mid January. In some ways we're reassured that we're not alone.

We settled our bill for three days stay in cash (US$) on our last evening. Checking our credit card account two days later, a similar payment had been taken from our credit card (number supplied as a guarantee against non arrival) by Robinson Crusoe Hotel, which appears on the invoice letterhead alongside Santiago Hillside. We contacted the owner who simply referred us to our credit card company stating he had sold RC two years ago (so, how did they have our details?). After a further unsatifactory and fruitless exchange, we've heard nothing. We are still travelling and will pursue this issue on our return, particularly given that we understand from others in Chile that there are reputational issues. Watch out too for the breakage deposit of 100,000 pesos charged on arrival. I learned from the owner in our email exchange that this was against damage to the 'many valuable items' in the hotel. A ludicrous levy.

So, if you do stay here, be very careful. It will our first, and last visit - a shame because the rooms, the hotel, the pool and much of the service were very good. Our only other concern was the distance from the centre of Santiago. If you're not using a car, you'll need a taxi and two buses or bus and Metro to take you there - around 45-60 minutes.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JenksBrighton
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed here for Valentine's Day & had a lovely time! The hotel is BEAUTIFUL with the most comfortable beds imaginable! However there were a few issues. Our room was covered in ants, all over the walls in the bedroom & floor in the bathroom. They were also in our bed & not just a few, a lot! If you don't speak Spanish you will struggle a little to communicate with the staff. We emailed in advance to enquire about the cost of an airport transfer as we landed at 23:30 but never heard back from the hotel so after much haggling spent 20,000 pesos on a taxi (£27 or $42). During our 2 night stay we had 6 cans of Coca Cola & 2 small bottles of water. We were shocked when we came to pay the bill of 19,000 pesos (£25 or $40) for these drinks & then to be told we had to pay cash only as they don't take cards!!! My husband then had to find an ATM so we could pay for our ridiculously overpriced drinks! All in all we had a lovely stay & the place IS beautiful! The staff recommended an excellent restaurant to us (Doña Tina) which was in walking distance. I'm just a little disappointed that there were a few issues, otherwise it would have been perfect.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank ToriaSScott
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We mid morning and stayed one night after our long not so restful flight from the US. We were able to check in early and take a nap before we headed to town. The hosts were fabulous, and bed was excellent. We also had plenty of water pressure and hot water. We sat out on the patio by the pool with a bottle of wine from the supermarket and were able to just relax. Breakfast was very good. The location is a bit away from the city and you most definitely need a car. We missed the turn first try, but after turning around, it was very easy to find.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed at the Santiago Hillside Hotel for one night in January, 2013 after making a reservation online. While very difficult to find, once there we enjoyed the beautiful surroundings and quiet setting. I would agree with other reviewers that there is noise transfer, in our case from the hallway to the room. We also had an incident with payment. We guaranteed the room with a credit card, but once we arrived, the owner insisted that we pay in cash. We needed to leave at 6 AM for a flight and although she was up to check us out, she seemed annoyed by our early departure. The gate is a an annoyance, creating a situation in which you must ask permission to leave.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mary M
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We were attending a sporting event in Nov 2012 and this hotel was one of 2 hotels on the outskirts of Santiago near the venue. In Oct 2012, we booked 2 rooms for our family at this hotel for a 9 night stay. The other hotel was sold out. I emailed the hotel and got a courteous and prompt reply from the hotel owner who answered my question that in fact the hotel was within walking distance to the sporting event.

However, the situation took a dramatic turn when our credit card bill showed up not long after the first email exchange (and weeks before planned stay). Not only were there 2 charges for the 2 rooms we booked, but one of them was couple of hundred dollars over the quoted rate. Next there were 2 more charges at their sister hotel Robinson Crusoe in Valparaiso. When I emailed the manager that I needed to refute these charges with the credit card company he quickly replied back and cancelled my reservations - with no explanation.

I tried in vain to contact him but he refused to return any messages or long distance phone calls. We needed a place to stay close to this event and next closest hotel was miles away. We were hoping to avoid car rental, or taking taxis and/or using the limited public buses. I decided to take it up to the next level and ask for booking.com help where we originally booked through. After weeks of attempted contacts, turns out booking.com's efforts were futuile too. The hotel manager refused to cooperate. Sadly the contract between the hotel and booking.com was severed. We were relocated to a hotel further down the road and had to take taxis and buses to/from the event.

Since we started refuting the credit card charges back in Oct 2012, the credit card company finally settled our fraud claim Jan 2013. Frustrating business to deal with.

Buyer beware when making bookings as the financial service dealings with this hotel are sketchy.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank carrie_levin
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stayed at the Santiago Hillside in November 2012, and ideally would have highly recommended this hotel. But I feel like I've had two radically different experiences there. As other reviewers have said, the hotel is beautiful and quiet, the staff helpful, and it feels like a very special place. The rooms and public spaces are full of folk art, and the grounds are lovely in a intimate way. I and my family enjoyed our time there. The hotel was booked with other families who were attending the same event.

But the business side of the experience was very different. I booked the reservation online, and the room was charged to in full to my credit card weeks in advance, which was somewhat surprising to me. However, the hotel answered my email about it after a delay of a few days, and had a reasonable explanation. Other emails, inquiring about other logistics, went unanswered. When I arrived, I realized that the staff, except for the owner, spoke limited English, and thought that might have explained the lack of email replies. When we checked out, we were very surprised to be given a bill that showed an amount that was literally twice the quoted, and paid-in-full price of the rooms, and tried to communicate that, showing the original confirmation. The staff acknowledged the confirmation, and the issue seemed to be resolved.

When I returned home, I found a credit card authorization on my card for an amount roughly equivalent to the bill, to a person whose name I had never seen (not the hotel owner). I sent a cordial email to the hotel, asking about this amount, which went unanswered, so I notified my credit card company. They said it was just an authorization, not an actual charge, and we should just monitor it, so I thought that perhaps it was a security deposit type of hold, and indeed, the authorization disappeared in a month. The only place I'd used this credit card was at the hotel, so I know that the charge came from that source.

I was surprised and very unhappy this week, two months after our stay there, to find a four figure charge on that credit card for yet a different amount, to the Hotel Robinson Crusoe in Valapairso, which is a sister hotel to the Santiago Hillside. My credit card company has filed a fraud case. I would like to believe that this is some sort of mistake, but other families from the trip have reported similar experiences with extra charges. Even if this was some kind of billing error instead of intentional fraud, I must now exert myself to contest the charge.

The hotel itself is such a gem, it's a shame that I feel I must warn other travelers away from it, but it sure is a way to ruin a lovely memory.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank MATraveller200
Also consider these accommodations in or near Santiago
Chalet Valluga
Hotel Plaza El Bosque Nueva Las Condes
Hotel Tres Puntas
Hotel Tres Puntas
#3 of 3 in Valle Nevado

Been to Santiago Hillside Hotel? Share your experiences!