“Tranquil but hard to find”

Santiago Hillside Hotel
Ranked #158 of 202 Hotels in Santiago
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed at the Santiago Hillside Hotel for one night in January, 2013 after making a reservation online. While very difficult to find, once there we enjoyed the beautiful surroundings and quiet setting. I would agree with other reviewers that there is noise transfer, in our case from the hallway to the room. We also had an incident with payment. We guaranteed the room with a credit card, but once we arrived, the owner insisted that we pay in cash. We needed to leave at 6 AM for a flight and although she was up to check us out, she seemed annoyed by our early departure. The gate is a an annoyance, creating a situation in which you must ask permission to leave.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mary M
There are newer reviews for Santiago Hillside Hotel

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We were attending a sporting event in Nov 2012 and this hotel was one of 2 hotels on the outskirts of Santiago near the venue. In Oct 2012, we booked 2 rooms for our family at this hotel for a 9 night stay. The other hotel was sold out. I emailed the hotel and got a courteous and prompt reply from the hotel owner who answered my question that in fact the hotel was within walking distance to the sporting event.

However, the situation took a dramatic turn when our credit card bill showed up not long after the first email exchange (and weeks before planned stay). Not only were there 2 charges for the 2 rooms we booked, but one of them was couple of hundred dollars over the quoted rate. Next there were 2 more charges at their sister hotel Robinson Crusoe in Valparaiso. When I emailed the manager that I needed to refute these charges with the credit card company he quickly replied back and cancelled my reservations - with no explanation.

I tried in vain to contact him but he refused to return any messages or long distance phone calls. We needed a place to stay close to this event and next closest hotel was miles away. We were hoping to avoid car rental, or taking taxis and/or using the limited public buses. I decided to take it up to the next level and ask for booking.com help where we originally booked through. After weeks of attempted contacts, turns out booking.com's efforts were futuile too. The hotel manager refused to cooperate. Sadly the contract between the hotel and booking.com was severed. We were relocated to a hotel further down the road and had to take taxis and buses to/from the event.

Since we started refuting the credit card charges back in Oct 2012, the credit card company finally settled our fraud claim Jan 2013. Frustrating business to deal with.

Buyer beware when making bookings as the financial service dealings with this hotel are sketchy.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank carrie_levin
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stayed at the Santiago Hillside in November 2012, and ideally would have highly recommended this hotel. But I feel like I've had two radically different experiences there. As other reviewers have said, the hotel is beautiful and quiet, the staff helpful, and it feels like a very special place. The rooms and public spaces are full of folk art, and the grounds are lovely in a intimate way. I and my family enjoyed our time there. The hotel was booked with other families who were attending the same event.

But the business side of the experience was very different. I booked the reservation online, and the room was charged to in full to my credit card weeks in advance, which was somewhat surprising to me. However, the hotel answered my email about it after a delay of a few days, and had a reasonable explanation. Other emails, inquiring about other logistics, went unanswered. When I arrived, I realized that the staff, except for the owner, spoke limited English, and thought that might have explained the lack of email replies. When we checked out, we were very surprised to be given a bill that showed an amount that was literally twice the quoted, and paid-in-full price of the rooms, and tried to communicate that, showing the original confirmation. The staff acknowledged the confirmation, and the issue seemed to be resolved.

When I returned home, I found a credit card authorization on my card for an amount roughly equivalent to the bill, to a person whose name I had never seen (not the hotel owner). I sent a cordial email to the hotel, asking about this amount, which went unanswered, so I notified my credit card company. They said it was just an authorization, not an actual charge, and we should just monitor it, so I thought that perhaps it was a security deposit type of hold, and indeed, the authorization disappeared in a month. The only place I'd used this credit card was at the hotel, so I know that the charge came from that source.

I was surprised and very unhappy this week, two months after our stay there, to find a four figure charge on that credit card for yet a different amount, to the Hotel Robinson Crusoe in Valapairso, which is a sister hotel to the Santiago Hillside. My credit card company has filed a fraud case. I would like to believe that this is some sort of mistake, but other families from the trip have reported similar experiences with extra charges. Even if this was some kind of billing error instead of intentional fraud, I must now exert myself to contest the charge.

The hotel itself is such a gem, it's a shame that I feel I must warn other travelers away from it, but it sure is a way to ruin a lovely memory.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank MATraveller200
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I really loved this little hotel. It was the nicest accommodation I stayed in during my trip in Chile, and also the best value.

The hotel is situated on a hill overlooking a gorgeous valley in the foothills of the Andes about 30 minutes outside of Santiago. The area appears to be fairly exclusive, with many wealthy Chileans having homes nearby. It is also on a very popular cycling route up into the mountains (I am a runner, so one of my highlights was running the road outside of the hotel trying to find out where the cylcists were going...absolutely stunning hill running). The hotel itself is quite beautiful, with high vaulted ceilings and a grand fireplace in the common room. The rooms are all lovely, especially those with views of the valley (I would recommend requesting one of these if you can. You won't be disapppointed). The hotel is surrounded by gorgeous cobblestoned terraces which offer multiple places for privacy to read, talk with others, and just relax. The pool is very nice, facing out over the valley and the snow capped peaks of the Andes in the distance. I sat there for hours relaxing and tanning.

Breakfasts were also very nice, usually consisting of a fruit smoothie, omelette, bread and cake, with real french-press coffee. Though I did not eat other meals here, I heard from a local person that the woman who cooks is known for her gourmet meals. I had no trouble finding other restaurants. Within a 5 minute walk there are 2 grocery stores (both also having wines from small exclusive wineries that I was not able to find elsewhere in Chile, much to my chagrin). There is also a fantastic restaurant about 5 minutes away featuring local Chilean dishes, and other restaurants (and a gallery a short walk into the neighbourhood).

Though the staff do not speak English (except for the owner), we had no trouble communicating, and they helped me with everything I needed. If I wanted a restaurant, they recommended one. If I needed an adapter for my cellphone charger, they lent me one. They ordered me a taxi or a rental car whenever necessary. I found the staff to be exceptionally kind.

So, if you are looking for peace and quiet away from the smog and congestion and noise of Santiago, where you will be catered to when needed and left alone when needed, then this is the place for you. Truly.

If you are looking for easy access to the city, and to be part of the hustle and bustle, then this is not the place for you. If you are looking to have your needs catered to in perfect English, then this is also not the place for you (and good luck finding that place in Chile).

By the way, cellphone and internet connections were not a problem. Also please note, my experience in Chile is that noise transfer between rooms was different from what I am used to at home, and a problem. There is noise transfer between rooms in this hotel and from the hallways into the rooms. However, it is a quiet hotel, so sleeping at night was not a problem at all. Please also note, the driveway is quite steep and requires a bit of driving skill to negotiate.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank aeusher
Reviewed September 12, 2012

If the traveler looking to be in peace and quiet ... This is the place! . We were looking for a hotel to have privacy but while the romance flowing. My boyfriend and I had an excellent stay in Santiago, Chile. It's a totally secluded from the noise and traffic of a chaotic city. wonderful place!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank shannon m
Reviewed July 13, 2012

This hotel is located just outside the city of Santiago, was exactly what I and my colleagues were looking to focus on our business talks. The site is situated approximately thirty minutes from the city, this hotel is for people who need peace and quiet of the chaos and traffic of the city.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

So happy!!!! Our beautiful Hotel was and excellent choice for your business purposes. We truly enjoyed your visit and providing you and colleagues the best of hospitality and service. Hope we see you again. Thank you.
Andrea, Manager

Reviewed July 2, 2012

The hotel is in a remote part of the city, on a steep and narrow road. There are no signs and the hotel's address does not show up on GPS. I drove back and forth several times until I spotted the hidden entrance. When you arrive, you are greeted by a massive electric gate. You need to get out of your car and press an electric buzzer, then wait several minutes until someone answers and opens the gate. The same ritual needs to be repeated every time, when entering or exiting. When the gate finally opens, there is steep 45 degree cobblestone surface with deep trenches which you are expected to drive up. The undercarriage of the car scrapes up and down this. In the hotel, the doors of the rooms have decorative perforations (!) or air vents which means that people in the hallway can see you moving inside and hear every word you say. Because the hotel is built on the side of a hill, there is no cell phone reception. And the wireless signal is too weak for computing. When I checked out the next morning, they charged my credit card for my ENTIRE scheduled stay, saying that the card had been charged by a company in the USA and there was nothing they could do about it. It's a creepy place! Be smart and stay at the Radisson!

Room Tip: Don't stay there! Go to the Radissson!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Moshe S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Santiago
Chalet Valluga
Hotel Plaza El Bosque Nueva Las Condes
Hotel Tres Puntas
Hotel Tres Puntas
#3 of 3 in Valle Nevado

Been to Santiago Hillside Hotel? Share your experiences!