“expensive”

Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centro Histórico
Reviewed October 31, 2012

because of its location, you would think it would be cheaper... good food, but if you go to a expensive place like Astrid y Gaston you will spend more or less the same amount of money and will have a much better time. If you never had king crab, that´s the only reason to go and even so.... too much of a tourist trap!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,526)

Reviewed October 31, 2012

THE GOOD: The service. The cleanliness. The empanadas (good price and portion size).

THE BAD: The price. The food portions. The quality of the meal you're actually eating (poor at best)

Mercado Central is a place you must go and visit while staying in Santiago. It is the fresh fish market for locals. But try and get in through the north-side entrances and you will be met by one of the very friendly and pushy Galeon hosts trying to convince you to get in the restaurant for lunch...

So no wonder you see lines of people at the doors of this restaurant, most of them tourists lured in by the great sales pitch given by the hosts. I was there last Sunday and my host count was 9: NINE hosts all lined up outside the market in front of the restaurant talking to everybody on the street (even guys getting out of a cab) pushing them -in a really nice way, of course- to go and eat at the Galeon.

The place is clean. The food is just average. I had a chupe de Jaiba (crab) and my girlfriend a couple of empanadas. If not for the cheese they added, I swear it felt like eating pure Alfredo sauce with some tidbits of crab. That plus a bottle of water and a soda: $32!!! There was a group of Americans next to me which ordered a Centolla (huge crab with spikes). I think it was $30 each and I can tell it was the smallest centolla I've ever seen! And, as you can expect, all the other tourists, seeing the centolla and the happy gringos picking on it, wanted to order it too. This place was built having the tourist in mind: and you'll pay like a tourist too!

Most people writing these reviews are/were tourists themselves, so my question is: was the food really good or were they just sold on eating at this place? And if it was that good, did you try some of the other restaurants inside? I have.

If you want service and to be treated like the special tourist you are, The Galeon is for you. If you want, however, to eat great food of great portions and with decent prices (think 50% less on the bill) then I recommend you venture INSIDE the market, try one of those ugly restaurants inside, and see what good Chilean fish food really tastes like. I have my favorite but won't mention it over here.

1  Thank jr10275
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Inside the Market, El Galeón restaurant is a must in terms of fresh seafood.
the service is efficient and the waiters give you friendly recommendation about what´s best in the moment.
Tip is not included in the bill- should add 10%- Count around 30€ per person

1  Thank Jolive75
Reviewed July 21, 2012

In a country where service is not a top priority, we were pleasantly surprised to find this jewel in the heart of the Mercado Central. I am very selective about food and when I explained what I wanted to eat, Sebastian, who speaks perfect English, made sure that I got what I asked for. The chef made me a special crab soup that was out of this world! The pisco sour was one of the best we had in Santiago. I highly recommend this restaurant for both the food and the service!! Thanks Sebastian for the experience.

Reviewed June 30, 2012

A very busy restaurant on the edge of the market. Their speciality is the giant crab which is done before your eyes ! Although a small crab is £40 it was well worth it and it was delicious- must be one of the most expensive things in Santiago ! There is an upstairs where the tourists are put- but ask for a downstairs seat with the locals. An experience!!