“Delicious and fresh cuisine”
Review of Matsuri

Matsuri
Ranked #76 of 4,862 Restaurants in Santiago
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Las Condes
Description: Widely regarded as one of the best Japanese restaurants in Chile, Matsuri offers diners a truly unforgettable culinary experience. With an innovative, design-led interior as backdrop, Japanese-born chef Roberto Yagui creates dishes that have won acclaim from critics and diners alike. Matsuri also has two private Tatami salons, a sushi/sashimi bar and two Teppanyaki tables. It is recommended to ask for Teppanyaki and Tatami at the time of reservation. Groups over ten people can request a special menu up to 48 hours ahead of the reservation.
Reviewed April 10, 2012

The restaurant Matsuri has no equal, I have never eaten such good sushi and sashimi. The atmosphere in this restaurant is pleasant, the staff very friendly and helpful.
We have taken a mixed variation of the kitchen, because I could not decide. The dishes are served with a lot of love. I can only recommend this place.

1  Thank mustangconny

Reviewed January 15, 2012

We have been going to the Matsuri for many years and it never dissappoints. The food is always fresh and delicious, the decor is very attractive and the service is good. In summer it is our favourite restaurant to enjoy the long summer evenings sitting and dining on the terrace overlooking the lovely gardens, swimming pool and waterfall. The head chef is Japanese and the food is as authentic as it can be in Chile.

Reviewed December 27, 2011

Located inside the hotel Hyatt Santiago. Great service and food. Definetly recommended.

Reviewed November 13, 2011

I am a Japanese food lover and the experience at Matsuri was really nice. I left the food selection to the main chef and he really surprised me.

1  Thank WorldTravelerTuscany
Reviewed October 29, 2009

My wife and I dined at what was described as "the best Japanese" in Santiago. If this is the best Japanese, then my advice for all visiting in Santiago is to avoid all Japanese food in Santiago. We also ate at Kintaro (which was even worse).

Matsuri tries to combine a Teppanyaki restaurant with a sushi bar. We did not try the Teppanyaki, just the sushi bar. Initially we wanted to sit at the sushi bar and have omakase, given the three Chilean sushi chefs didn't know what that was, should have been our cue to turn and leave. As I surveyed the fish in the display case, I only saw tuna, salmon, eel and tilapia. I asked if they had uni, or Erizos (name in Chile), which is served at every seafood restaurant, and I figured they should have some fine uni here. No luck...

My wife and I decided to forgo nigiri and just get a roll plus soba with tempura. We ordered cold soba with shrimp tempura. We had to explain that we wanted the soba served cold with a dipping sauce and the tempura on a separate plate. Our waitress said they had never seen it served that way and usually just stir fry the soba. I told her that was yakisoba. After about 5 minutes the waitress returned and said they don't have soba but udon, which tastes the same. I told her that it couldn't possibly as one was made from buckwheat and the other from wheat. Being really hungry, I accepted the substitution. When the dish finally arrived, it was rice flour noodles - the type used in Pad Thai!

The bill came to CLP 50.000 (~$US 100) for 1 unagi/avocado roll, 2 orders of cold noodles, 1 tempura plate, 1 Asahi beer, 2 martinis, and 2 green teas. This restaurant serves terrible food with a nice decor and a friendly waitstaff. Come for a drink and enjoy the room, but DO NOT EAT HERE. YOU WILL NOT BE SERVED AUTHENTIC JAPANESE FOOD FROM THE KITCHEN.

5  Thank BanhBeo