“Good food, awful service”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Confiteria Torres

Confiteria Torres
Ranked #223 of 4,526 Restaurants in Santiago
Cuisines: Cafe, Latin, Chilean, Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Centro Histórico
Santiago, Chile
“Good food, awful service”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

The first visit of this restaurant was satisfactory, however the second one was absolute failure.

I am not going to comment on fact that instead of grilled potatoes my friends received potato mash, and once they asked waiter to change it he told them that they should try this instead because it is good - and since it took some time for them to do the potatoes, my meal got cold meanwhile.

When I asked the waiter to recommend me some whine to fit our meat choice, naturally he brought me the most expensive one (since I am gringo I think) and when I told him I was something a bit cheaper, you can guess, he tried to mock me by coming with the CHEAPEST one. I tried to stay calm in front of my girlfriend though.

Once we finished the meal, we still had half of the bottle left. Because we didn't want dessert the waiter, from his own initiative, brought a bill with a card terminal for us to pay. I say: "I didnt request the bill Sir". But he tried to make me pay anyways by telling me they are closing up the cashier - I would believe this if other group of 4 people would not sit next to us and just start to eat their meal.

In the end, once paying the bill, we tried to mirror the bad service in the tip left - we said we are giving less than 10% saying exact amount. The waiter however put into card terminal the 10% of whole amount to be left as a tip and passed me the terminal like if nothing happened.

The food was fine, I enjoyed the meat quality but I will never visit this restaurant again because of its service and attitude towards foreigners. Trust me, there are dozens of restaurants with such menu in surrounding so you are definitely better off by trying something different.

• Visited February 2013

cyprus
“Elegant, excellent”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Stumbled upon this place in the center of Santiago. Had lunch which was excellent. I had a fillet mignon, my partner had ribeye steak , both items from their grill page. I had a green side salad, my partner mixed salad. Both salads were good size and delicious, birth steaks absolutely perfect. Wine was god and reasonably priced. It was nice to eat somewhere where the interior is as beautiful as the food is good. Nice to have white starched tablecloths too...passing trade nowadays. Waiter attentive. All good, will definitely be back.

• Visited February 2013
Perth, Australia
“choose carefully to choose well”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I loved this elderly lady. She is creaking but her old time tune is engaging.

Waiters are formally turned out and I got the feeling they had a job for life at this restaurant. The menu has all the classics, but the clientele was all ages and my salmon ravioli was to die for.

This was a great experience, another side to dining in Santiago the opposite to the trendy spots in Bellavista.

• Visited September 2012
Melbourne, Australia
“Nice setting for a meal.”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Food and wait service typically Chilean style in a very pleasant surround. This was not the original Torres restaurant but the one located at: Isidora Goyenechea 2962 Las Condes, Santiago. No complaints.

• Visited December 2012
Santiago, Chile
“Great Sandwich: The standard Barros Luco is measured”
Reviewed December 6, 2012

This is an old traditional place which I have had never been fortunate enough to pay visit. They invented a classic sandwich in honor of a Chilean President in early 20th century naming it after him. It might be like a visit to mecca, as I've been eating the sandwich all my life, with different levels of success. This is the one, it must be the one, the source, the fountain of all sandwiches, the origin.

But let's disect it. Barros Luco is a simple sandwich. Melted cheese, steak and bread. May sound pedestrian but they can really screw it up if not careful. If well done it is sublime. This was the case.

I was not dissapointed with the visit. Waiters garmeted in classic white suits, a big and old hall from a former high class residence. Price doesn't come cheap, and they advertise the sandwich it in the top of the menu as "Presidente Barros Luco". As usual in chilean sandwichery you have a choice of bread. My pal's choice was marraqueta (sort of a baguette, but sweeter and less crusty and shaped differently) and mine in pan de molde (a non industrial pullman loaf). The size was not impresive, but it was not tiny. Cheese melted perfectly and tasted a bit sharp but not overwhelming. The beef was the star here, cooked to perfection, a tender as tender can be pieces of sirloin, also seasoned with salt letting the taste go and not underpowering the juicyness. It was juicy to the point the bottom bread was soaking, but still the upperhalf was toasted and crunchy. A little bit of aji diaguita (a chilean chili sauce) made a useful counterpoint. I also love it with a little mustard, but this wasn't the case.

So in a nutshell, it is a must to go there, feel the old time feel, taste the old time taste. Some things deserve to be tradition, luckily this one is well preserved and safe.

• Visited December 2012