“Beautiful Building, Fantastic Hosts”

Hostal Rio Amazonas
Ranked #1 of 160 Santiago B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Beautiful Building, Fantastic Hosts”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Stayed here in January 2011 enroute to Easter Island. Beautiful building with plenty of character. Efficient and friendly transfer service to and from the airport. Great hosts and plenty of information on things to do and places to eat nearby. Easy walk to galleries and museums and city centre. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Upstairs facing the courtyard is quiet. Just have to lug your suitcase up a flight of stairs.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank kayehm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Rio Amazonas is a great place. Its a really cool, old building, oozing with character and the staff are as friendly as they come. It has everything you need, wifi in the rooms, nice linen, comfortable bed, nice bathrooms, tv etc. Sure, the water could do with being a little hotter maybe and if I was really picky, I´d like a newer tv but all in all, I really loved staying here. The neighbourhood is great, 5 minutes walk to Bellavista, 2 minutes to the subway. Breakfast was plentiful and varied and in all honesty, I could have stayed another week. I defy anyone to get better value for their money when staying in Santiago. And, trust me, stay in Santiago, you should.

Recommended.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dr0ct0pus
Cobar, Australia
Reviewed June 4, 2012

This hostal has a lot of character, serves a great breakfast, a very good hot choclate and the best Pisco Sours! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Rio Amazonas and found the staff extremely helpful. Santiago has a very easily navigated metro train system and the station is a short walk from the hostal.There are many attractions close by and I would recommend this as a very pleasant and well placed hostal.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
San Jose, California
Reviewed May 30, 2012

We were only a few blocks away from the Metro station and not far from the Bellavista neighborhood, which was wonderful! No need for taxi, just walk to a subway station. Well, actually, the whole city is very walkable and the location is great so I think we ended up going places by foot more than anything else. The staff members are amazingly helpful with things, even if their English wasn't the greatest. They were full of enthusiasm for Santiago. What I didn't like was the very small bathroom, especially compared to the size of the room. When sitting down to use the toilet, my legs were under the sink. The shower curtain was moldy and disgusting. Taking a shower in that small space and trying not to get the whole bathroom wet was impossible! The lack of elevator and having to go up flights of stairs was also not fun, especially since we were on the last leg of our trip and were fully loaded with things to take back home. What a workout that was.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 22, 2012

My girlfriend and I were finishing off a jaunt in Argentina and Chile at the Hostal Rio Amazonas in the Plaza Italia neighborhood of Santiago. The hostal's location is fantastic, being within walking distance of the Cerro Bellavista and the Baquedano metro station, making it very easy for one to explore Santiago. It was highly recommended by a journalist friend of ours who stays there whenever work brings her to Santiago.

The building itself is beautiful, even if the rooms are a little worn. Still, as a base, it is unbeatable. The staff, however, were superb. Unfortunately, my girlfriend and I both succumbed to horrible food poisoning (completely unrelated to the Hostal) and were not able to see much in Santiago beyond our room. We needed to go to a hospital, and even though the Universidád Católica hospital is within walking distance, the owner graciously volunteered to drive my girlfriend and I to the hospital, where we got the medical attention we needed.

In addition, despite being fully booked (Lollapallooza and the Santiago Marathon both happened on the same day), they shifted some reservations around and allowed us to have a late check-out without changing our rooms (we did pay an extra night for this, but it was absolutely reasonable considering their rates and our imposition; we wouldn't have felt right otherwise).

This is a wonderful place to explore the city and meet kind people. I absolutely recommend it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bob V
Porto Alegre, RS
Reviewed May 12, 2012

- Perfectly located: 3 blocks away from Baquedano metro Station; a walking distance away from a lot of great places, including the restaurants of Calle Constituición (Barrio Bellavista).
- Very friendly staff, always smiling and willing to help you (without being intrusive).
- Wonderful building. If you like old buildings architecture, you will like it.
- Good rooms. No frills, clean and spacious (at least my room was like this).
- Very good price among hostels in Santiago. This means it has a very good price/quality relation.
I definetly would stay there again in Santiago.

Room Tip: My room was the 31 - but it is a room for 5, so I think they may not give it to couples frequently.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed May 4, 2012

I stayed in a single en-suite room on the second floor in late March. The room was very small, but it was an excellent value for the price and it was very clean. There wasn't any place to stash your suitcase, so you should be nimble to get around the single room. I really liked staying in an older historic building. The staff is very helpful and friendly.

Rio Amazonas draws an older clientele. This is a good thing as it is located very close to an area chock full of bars and nightclubs, but it is reasonably quiet at night here. If you have a room opening onto the interior courtyard, it will be noisy when breakfast is served.

The breakfast is comparable to other places I stayed in Chile, but nothing special. I wouldn't call it abundant by American standards, but it is adequate. It consists of rolls and yogurt along with juice and coffee/tea.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo