“Twice!”

Cuisines: Chilean, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed November 13, 2013

My wife and i ate here twice. The maincourses are an excellent size so depending on how hungry you are,you might simply split one between two people. Both times we had Machas Parmesanas first and I would highly recommend them. The staff were extremely helpful.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,670)

Reviewed October 1, 2013

This was so good that we actually went back again during our stay in Pt Var. I had a mariscos al pil pil (or some such), which was a soccer ball sized portion of shrimp, locos, crab claw, mussels, scallops, pulpo, calamari, king crab, and that barnacle pico-loco thing.

I ordered the same dish again later in the week, and there were giant crab claws vs earlier in the week, and no pico loco (fine with me).

The place gets PACKED. Our second visit was for an early lunch (by Chilean standards), and there were already cars lines up to get in...so we had to return a few hours later.

When you enter, there is a smaller room when you first walk in, and then a larger room at the end of the hall that reminded me of a summer camp dining hall. We had a better experience in the bigger room service-wise. The smaller room seemed more chaotic, without dedicated servers assigned to specific tables (or at least that was our experience).

This would have received a 5 rating if not for the poor service on our first visit....but man, the food was incredible. I put a "Chilean" $$$, though in the US this would be a $$ relative to what you get.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

We had a pair of great entrees locos and centolla (abalon and spider-crab).
main dish we shared merluza and chilean tomato-onion salad.
Great meal.
PLace is very family oriented, so it´s not in any way romantic.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

this is a tough one,
a lot of people love this place,

I can't, for the life of me, understand

not cheap
not inexpensive
service is pushy, hurried, heavy on the upsell
the atmosphere is overlit, smelling of the food preparation area

a few dishes are tried and true,
but in my opinion, not worth the drawbacks

there are better places in Puerto Varas

1  Thank ABIIIChile
Reviewed May 4, 2013

When staying in Puerto Varas we asked the manager of our hostal where to go for good seafood. He immediately replied that La Olla was the best in town for seafood. The cook at the hostal, who has lived in this town all her life, seconded his recommendation as the undisputed best. We gave it a go on the basis of such strong recommendations and the restaurant didn't disappoint. The seafood was excellent, across our 3 different dishes. We started with a salmon ceviche that was very good. I had a mixed seafood dish called Paila al Pil Pil. It was 11.000CLP - about $22 US. My dish was huge and contained at least 10 different varieties of fish/shellfish ranging from Oysters and shrimp to crab legs and scallops. It was all served in an olive oil sauce with a little bit of spicy aji for flavor. This was one of the most exotic dishes I have had since being in Chile and I would definitely suggest it to anyone who likes seafood or trying new foods. There were several types of shellfish that I didn't recognize but were delicious. My wife had the Salmon Grille, salmon topped with creamy cognac sauce and shrimp. I tried some and it was excellent as well. My two friends each ordered the salmon topped with cognac sauce and crab. They were also very satisfied with their dishes. I think the salmon dishes each cost about 10.000 - $20 US. All the dishes were very large portions. The atmosphere is decent. The atmosphere and wait staff are just fine, but both give the impression of an established joint that is known for its food above all else. Great experience overall, one of my favorite meals I have had in Chile.