“A dirty place”

and 1 more site!
Casa Margouya
Ranked #13 of 43 Puerto Varas B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

To be really honest, the place was not clean at all. The bedrooms have dirty sheets, there are dead bugs in the floor and the bathroom is full of hairs, dust and full of tissues, etc. It gives de impression that no one cleans them at all.
When you open de beds to sleep, the sheets are old, with hairs and a bad smell... I think they don't change them between visitors.... its seems there is no hygiene in the place.

• Stayed: February 2013

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Friendly and helpful staff. However, the quality of your stay will depend completely on the other guests because the walls are paper thin so you hear everything around you, even breathing! I stayed in a single room, and while it was cute and comfortable the noise was too much. It is a very social place, so do not stay here if you want to get to sleep before 1 am, and people come back very drunk from their nights out at 4 or 5 in the morning, ring the doorbell, make noise and will wake you up! All the rooms are organized around a central common room, which is cosy, and serves as a social hub - and apparently as a convenient location for people to have loud sex at 5 am. If you like to party and meet people, this is a good place for you, best for people in their early 20s and under - which is not me!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 12, 2012

I spend 2 nights in this hostel and I realy like it. The hostel is in the center and the lake. I slept in a single room, because there was no other bed available and I realy liked it. My room was low ceiling, so I felt a little bit like Snow-white sleeping in a bed of the 7 dwarfs ;-), but I realy liked my room and it was clean. The staff is very friendly and helpful. They speak ceverals languages and the atmosphaer is nice.

The kitchen is very clean and has everything you need for cooking a meal. You can take the hole day coffee and the. The breakfast is very good and varied.

The bathrooms including toilets are big and nice. Unfourtunately there are only two of it. But the other guests know that and respect not the spend hours in the bathroom.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 16, 2012

We spent several days in january 2012 in a 6-bed dorm at casa Margouya. The facilities are good, part of the staff very helpful and friendly and the location is quite nice, BUT: In one bed (both upper and lower bed) there were bedbugs and told about this the staff didn't even want to see it and didn't care about it. I had 1 week problems with it.
Additionally, another negative thing that unfortunately determined the stay was the false weight of our laundry. We paid 3 Kilos more which we found out later, having washed all the clothes again.
Nice atmosphere but they should care for their house better and change their laundry service.

Room Tip: Don't take the right bed in the 6-bed dorm on the right side...or ask if they have cleaned it...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
margouya, Owner at Casa Margouya, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2012

Hi
would like to answer at the last review particulary and some olds one.
For the bedbugs , I m really sorry about that , we are working hard on those case , I wasn t here when this happen .I would like to make clear than we are making our best to have a clean and relax hostal , people are working every day to clean it , but with so many backpackers coming from camps, mountains and traveling around the world, some bugs are arriving and are very difficult to destroy. We are working on that , I promiss it.
For that we ask to everyone to help us , by let us know if something is wrong at the moment .
For the smoking area , the problem is fixed because it s a No Smoking hostal know.
For the problem with the receptionist 2 years ago, it s fixed too, because she is not working with us any more.
For the problem with me, Nicolas the owner, I would like to apologize , if I had bad moment o mood at this time...won t happen again .
Our new manager is working with our receptionist to give the best as we can.
So , critical are good , when apropriate , we have to accept them , but I hope too, people have to understand and believe than we are human and we always try to do our best for our clients.
Have a nice journey in Chile and South America
Nicolas.

Reviewed October 4, 2011

Smoking in front of the rooms therefor you sleep in the smoke, small noisy rooms for that money no value. Expensive!

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed November 26, 2010

this place could be great but has some downfalls. the place itself is a trendy little spot with high wooden beams and a comfy common area. the kitchen is big and the rooms are comfortable. the breakfasts are great, big variety and very filling. on the down side, the staff is a bit strange, the vibe set is one of over-calmness with trippy indian lounge music and sometimes it feels as if the sheets haven't been cleaned. plus, if you're looking for a quiet night, dorm or not you're unlikely to get one. all the rooms are set around the common area and the walls are far from sound proof.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2010

I only stayed one night, but really enjoyed the atmosphere of this hostel - very laid back, but the staff were always there and were very helpful. Breakfast was great. Good location right in the middle of the town and close to the lake. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo