“What a lovely place!”

and 1 more site!
Estancia 440
Ranked #4 of 43 Puerto Varas B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Absolutely stunning! We spent Christmas at Estancia 440, and it really was the perfect place for the festive days. The house is super-lovely decorated, really smelt like Christmas during these days, had an impressive breakfast with everything you would need freshly made to order, and we even got little Christmas presents! Rebeca is really the "good soul of the house" and made everything to make us feel comfortable with a very charming attitude - we felt very welcome! With all this, it's not even worth mentioning that it takes a short walk to reach the city center. Definitely one of the accommodation highlights on our journey!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Estancia 440

Reviewed January 4, 2014

My wife and I enjoyed Puerto Varas. The weather was drizzly but we still were able to walk around town and on the promenade along the shorline of Lake Llanquihue. The town is a vacation destination for Chileans and there are many restaurants, tour operators and hotels. We stayed for one night at Estancia 440 and had a pleasant experience. The B&B is an easy 10 minute walk from the center of town. We liked the location since it was very quiet, without the noise which is present at night in the center of a city. The house is well-kept, the rooms small but adaquate and very clean. Rebecca was an excellent hostess. Breakfast was good but not exceptional.

We would certainly return if there is the opportunity.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DoctorPaul
Reviewed December 7, 2013

The Estancia is located slightly outside the center of Puerto Varas but easy to find nonetheless and there is ample parking space in the quiet street. Access to the town center is easy with a short cut that runs through the former train station and a 10 min walk gets you in the heat of things. The house was recently refurbished and offers a lot of wood (floor, ceiling) for a homey feeling and lots of photographs referring to sheep raising life. It is very unique in its own way although the common room and our bedroom were just too crammed for my taste. The back of the coin with these refurbished old houses is the creaky floor and paper-thin walls that let the slightest noise through. Our room was small but comfortable, the mattress just the right firmness for us and the bathroom absolutely spotless. Shower water was deliciously warm any time of the day. The staff was very friendly and helpful. My only issue with the Estancia is breakfast. I had mentioned ahead of time my allergies to gluten and dairy, and upon arrival the owner told us they had special food for me. I was therefore very disappointed the next morning when I was given 3 rice cakes, along with 3 slices of cheese and a piece of cake from Danes, that would have sent me directly to hell. They did not even suggest eggs or veggies. This went on for the length of our stay and I left the breakfast table still hungry. I ended up in the town supermarket to buy my own stuff and was surprised to see it was well supplied in gluten free goods, so I feel the management just let me down here. If you do not have any allergies, I guess the breakfast is rather nice with cake, bread, granola, yogurt, drip coffee, and some mornings a few fruits. There is also fruit juice that's made from frozen slabs of mixed fruits, that is rather too sweet for a morning drink. The choice of teas and herbals is fairly depressing as well. The kitchen is accessible to guests any time of day and we enjoyed the possibility of storing our own fruits in the fridge. Another nice thing is the possibility to pay with credit card, which was unusual in the other B&B we stayed at during our trip.
The breakfast issue apart, we had a nice stay at the Estancia. It is somewhat unfair to give a rating of 3, but I do not feel 4 (very good) is appropriate to describe my experience. 3.5 would be fair but technically not possible...

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Dr_Pea7
Reviewed November 11, 2013

A short stay of only one night but after driving across the Andes to reach Puerto Varas, this place was a great treat. A lovely conversion retaining lots of original features with lots of style and absolute comfort and the breakfast was excellent. We also enjoyed an excellent restaurant and a tour of Puerta Varas which we must go back to - a wonderful experience. Thanks Christie

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2013

The Estancia 440 is one of the most beautiful B&B houses we have ever stayed at. Its design is very tasteful and Rebeca was always more than happy to help and let us feel comfortable. The breakfast was delicious - homemade cereals, cake, fresh juices etc. It is only a shot walk to Puerto Varas downtown. In case you arrive by car, you can park at the private parking area.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Martin-7777777
Reviewed October 19, 2013

There is a prized excellence in the structure and flow in this wonderfully restored house. The floor wood, the ceilings, the stairway, the colors in the bathrooms create a setting for the photographs, the references to sheep, the Estancia in Patagonia, where Christie, the owner- manager comes from. Her ancestors, Scots who dared to bring their cattle raising culture to the windy plains in the fiords of Magallanes, provide the aroma of the house. She and Rebeca, the omnipresent saviour and hostess, became facilitators for our perfect enjoyment. The photographs in the rooms and on the public areas were shot by Christie`s sister in law. Whoever has gone to the cattle areas and their rites, their dogs, their horses, their wide windy horizons and hard living men and women, recalls his or her own experiences. So, in the end, this is not a place you just stop by, it becames a Place. My wife and I were delighted and hope we can return.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NicolasAlgernon
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I stayed for close to 3 weeks in Estancia 440, I liked it from the start and grew fonder of the place with every day. This is a uniquely, tastefully restored old house. The attention to details, materials and the use of the old recovered materials is outstanding. Rooms are big, spacious, comfortable. The place is clean. You can put on weight on the home made breakfast alone. Good wi-fi. Great (short!) walk into town through the old railway station (that looks as if a steam engine is going to roll in any minute). Lovely and quite at night. Highly recommended for those who want a personal experience in comfort.

Room Tip: In this hotel the downstairs is just as good as the upstairs.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business