“Gorgeous setting, safe operation, top notch guiding”
Review of Ko'KayaK

Ko'KayaK
Ranked #1 of 42 Tours in Puerto Varas
More attraction details
Owner description: Outdoor specialists in Puerto Varas area since 1999.Rafting rio Petrohue, Sea Kayaking Patagonia Fjords, Canyoning - Canyoneering, Trekking.Great service with our base beside the river Petrohue.Check our videos on our website
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I set out with KoKayak on a 3 day, 2 night trip on the Reloncavi estuary...which, according to the map, is a small arm of the larger Reloncavi Fjord. In a word...excellent. The scenery was jaw dropping with the azure blue water and snow capped peaks. The equipment (I shared a double kayak) was in really good shape and all the safety and camping gear in fine condition. The estuary did have clusters of habitation along the coastline, which surprised me at first. It turns out this was great as we made stops for camping and lunching at some of the original farm houses in the fjord and got to interact with the families living on the land (and eat from their gardens!). Richard, the guide, was very pleasant (and funny too) and a good coach for me and my novice kayaking skills. The trip was a perfect amount of physical exertion....I was working hard paddling each day, but not to exhaustion. I slept like a baby every night with a happy fatigue and pumped shoulders!

All reviews
"safety aspects"
"unbelievable views"
"base camp"

Reviewed January 6, 2013

I found KoKayak during my search of things to do around Puerto Varas. It looked like there were fantastic options, and my family and I were not disappointed.

I was concerned that we might not find an outdoor activity to do during our stay on Christmas day. Before we headed down to Chile, I contacted KoKayak for information about activities that might be available. I received an email back from the owner, Richard, that we could bike and do white water rafting that day. He was prompt with his information and gave nice details about our options. It was great that he was flexible about the type and kind of trips we could take with him. We were concerned about the weather and didn’t know whether the bike ride or rafting trip would be a good idea in bad weather. Richard was informative and patient with our questions.

Once we arrived in Puerto Varas, Richard followed up and provided us with more details about our options and made suggestions as to how we should plan our day. Even though the weather was supposed to be rainy and in the 50’s (F), we ultimately decided to go biking in the morning with a raft trip in the afternoon.

The bike trip was outstanding. My wife, kids (ages 15 and 17) and I enjoyed biking the hills and trails at the foothills of the volcano in the area. The views were spectacular. We biked for about 3-4 hours and enjoyed every bit of it. Richard kept a good pace and kept us all in a great mood, even with the rain. The kids loved it.

We didn’t find the ride to be too tough and Richard can tailor the ride to suit the riders in the group. If you want a harder ride, Richard can take you further up the hills in the area. If you need an easier ride, you could tell him and he’d keep in you flatter terrain.

Biking -- The Good: We loved all of it. The bikes were in great shape. The trails were nice to ride in. The trails were more like hiking paths than the stone downhill trails you might have for mountain bikes in Colorado. You’re given a water bottle and you’re off on your biking trip. Richard’s information about the ride was great. Richard took pictures of us during the ride and was kind enough to send them to us later that day by email -- a nice touch. The cost of the trip was reasonable considering the quality of the bikes, the time on the bike ride and the experience of our guide.

The Bad: We really didn’t have anything negative to say about our bike experience. The food for lunch could have been different. We were given a vegan salad with quinoa, banana and orange juice, plus some chips to munch on. In the cool wet weather, it would have been nice to have a hot drink and a place to dry our clothes. Only one of my son’s would not touch the salad. We also thought that we had a bit too much downtime between the biking and the rafting. We waiting about one hour before we went rafting after finishing our lunch. The wait was due to the time it took to bring a second group in that was also scheduled to go rafting.

The rafting was unbelievable. We’ve rafted in North Carolina, and these rapids were more fun and enjoyable. The water level was quite high and we were told that the rapids were between a class 3 and 4. I believe it. But we felt safe and wore wet suits. The water was quite cold and the weather didn’t help any, but the wet suits kept us plenty warm even when the water hit our bodies during the ride.

The rafting trip was one of the highlights of the trip to Puerto Varas and Chile. We had a tremendous amount of fun and loved every minute of it. We would truly recommend it.

During the raft trip, a photographer was as ahead of us on a kayak. He took some amazing photos. I’d recommend you buy the disk. He sells the disk for about $40-$60. Considering we’ve been to other attractions in the US, where you pay $20-$30 for one photo, it’s well worth the memories. The disk we purchased contained several hundred photos.

Rapids -- The Good: The rapids were great. The rafts, paddles and life jackets were in great shape. Some of the wet suits were somewhat worn, but you’re not in the water long enough for the condition of the suit to affect the experience. The cost of the rafting trip is reasonable considering the transportation to and from the hotel and the time on the river.

The Bad: We really didn’t have anything bad to say about the rafting trip. We all loved it and enjoy seeing the pictures of the trip.

1  Thank S T
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

I am not an expert kayaker and probably a bit out of shape. My husband is more of an expert, so he signed us up for an all day kayak trip with ko kayak, where we shared a kayak(double). Ko kayak took us to an untouched gorgeous area, outside of Puerto Varas. It was either a fjord or estuary, with beautiful views of the mountains, fresh/clean water, birds, sea lions, flowers and crisp air. Our group was small with 5 people. The company picks you up and drops you off at your hotel. We kayaked in the morning, had a 1 hour lunch break (they provided the food), then kayaked again. The driver drops you off in 1 place with the guides and then picks you up at another place at the end. As an inexperienced kayaker, I felt great afterwards and it helped that my husband kayaked behind my seat in the double. The only annoyance on the trip is one of nature. I December and January, an annoying huge biting fly called a tabano hatches and they swarm and can bite you on land. They do not bother you when you are on water, kayaking, but do bother you if you are on land, walking, biking or eating.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Selected this company based on the previous good reviews and had a good time. The weather was not great but the rain of the previous weeks gave us an additional boost since there was more water in the river.
The guys made sure we enjoyed and were calm and experienced and gave me a safe feeling. This is a great activity to do when you are around and you will have a great experience and the guys take pictures which you can buy for some fee. This is great to show your friend the great time you had. I am not that sportive but had no problem during this activity so go and enjoy.