“Fly Fishing and Touring with John Joy and Teresa”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Varas
Tres Rios Lodge Fly Fishing & Adventure
Colorado
“Fly Fishing and Touring with John Joy and Teresa”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

My father-in-law took his four son-in-laws and his grandson fishing and we stayed with John and Teresa at the house for 5 days. The fishing was great with a ton of time on the water and great scenery. For those who didn't want to fish everyday, John put together a tour of the area for my wife (who came down in the middle of the trip), my father-in-law, and another sister-in-law and they had a great time. John and Teresa were great. The house was wonderful. The food and wine were spectacular. We had the trip of a lifetime at the Tres Rios Lodge and if you have the means, you need to stay here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank WeberClan

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My family of 4 spend 3 nights in one of their cabins over winter break vacation. It is on a gravel road to nowhere nestled in the foothills with breathtaking views of 3 volcanoes. It is remote and beautiful. We had breakfast to order each morning at the "main house" at a time we set. The advice we got from the owners was valuable to help us tweak our vacation once we arrived "on ground". My only suggestion is to get directions ahead of time. We also had the Verizon data plan international so we used google maps while driving in real time so that helped a ton. A great experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
New York
Reviewed December 3, 2012

The accommodations, fishing, guiding and location offered by the Tres Rios Lodge are top notch. My wife and I spent part of this November fishing the Petrohue and Maullin rivers with John, and he delivered on our expectations by consistently putting us into position to hook and land some truly huge brown trout. He's been fishing those rivers for 20+ years and it shows. I heard about Tres Rios from a friend of mine who used to guide down in Chile. I had asked him where I should go to fish in Chile, and his advice to me was simple, "Fish the Petrohue with John, you won't regret it." The lodge is an experience unto itself, with an unbelievable view of a massive volcano, beautiful rooms and just-right hosting. I plan to make fishing out of Tres Rios an annual event.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mimo E
San Clemente, California
Reviewed April 6, 2012

I am a beginner fly fisherman and my boyfriend was a fly fishging guid for a couple of years. This part of our trip was his decision and I could not have asked for a better experience. John was extremely helpful and efficient. He took care of all our travels to and from the airport as well as picked us up and dropped us off at our hotel. We went fishing for 2 full days (December 2011) and it was hands down the best part of our trip to Chile! Not only did we catch incredible (HUGE) rainbow and brown trout, but John Joy was the perfect guide and now a friend! We went down 2 different rivers with amazing views of the Volcanoes, white water rapids in parts and numerous fish. Delicious homemade lunch each day, beers on the river, lots of fishing and great company made for the best experience. John is extremely knowledgeable about the rivers and the surrounding area, has all of the gear that is needed and is prepared for everything! He knew when to teach and when to let us figure it out on our own. I would highly recommend going fishing with John – it made our trip! We will definitely be back again!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SPBR10
ny
Reviewed March 5, 2012

I was in Puerto Varas, ahead of a planned week-long fishing trip south of the Lake region, and arranged to stay for two nights at the lodge, and another night at the b & b, on my return. The owner, John Joy is a remarkably skilled, astute, but low-key and bilingual fly-fishing guide, who rivals the best guides this long-time fisher has experienced in Montana, Colorado or Alaska. He easily maneuvers a substantial cataraft, consistently placing the angler in the best position to make the cast, which is reflected in the substantial and numerous trout that we landed.

As for the food and accommodations, the lodge is secluded on a dirt road off of the main road, and is beautifully landscaped(John was formerly a horticulturist), with superb views of the lake and volcanoes. Its interior is equally handsome.

As for the meals, which were prepared by John’s welcoming wife, Teresa, a native Chilena, I have nothing but praise- home cooked, delicious, well seasoned, using fresh ingredients. The Chilean red wines poured by John, usually after a great Pisco Sour, were deeply flavored with spice, and not your run-of-the-mill Cabernet or Merlot.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at both the lodge, and at their beautifully furnished and landscaped b & b, which is John and Teresa’s home in Puerto Varas. I was fortunate to be invited into their home, and would do so again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
newjersey
Reviewed February 20, 2012

My wife and I were vacationing in Puerto Varas,and I wanted to get in a day's fly fishing.We did not stay at the lodge. Our day with John Joy was fabulous. John is a very pleasant and excellent guide and whitewater rafter. The fishing with streamers was great. The views were spectacular, and my wife who doesn't fish enjoyed it as much as I did. I hope to fish with him again.

Room Tip: We did not stay at the lodge