“A hidden treasure”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Varas
Tres Rios Lodge Fly Fishing & Adventure
ny
“A hidden treasure”
Reviewed March 5, 2012

I was in Puerto Varas, ahead of a planned week-long fishing trip south of the Lake region, and arranged to stay for two nights at the lodge, and another night at the b & b, on my return. The owner, John Joy is a remarkably skilled, astute, but low-key and bilingual fly-fishing guide, who rivals the best guides this long-time fisher has experienced in Montana, Colorado or Alaska. He easily maneuvers a substantial cataraft, consistently placing the angler in the best position to make the cast, which is reflected in the substantial and numerous trout that we landed.

As for the food and accommodations, the lodge is secluded on a dirt road off of the main road, and is beautifully landscaped(John was formerly a horticulturist), with superb views of the lake and volcanoes. Its interior is equally handsome.

As for the meals, which were prepared by John’s welcoming wife, Teresa, a native Chilena, I have nothing but praise- home cooked, delicious, well seasoned, using fresh ingredients. The Chilean red wines poured by John, usually after a great Pisco Sour, were deeply flavored with spice, and not your run-of-the-mill Cabernet or Merlot.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at both the lodge, and at their beautifully furnished and landscaped b & b, which is John and Teresa’s home in Puerto Varas. I was fortunate to be invited into their home, and would do so again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
newjersey
Reviewed February 20, 2012

My wife and I were vacationing in Puerto Varas,and I wanted to get in a day's fly fishing.We did not stay at the lodge. Our day with John Joy was fabulous. John is a very pleasant and excellent guide and whitewater rafter. The fishing with streamers was great. The views were spectacular, and my wife who doesn't fish enjoyed it as much as I did. I hope to fish with him again.

Room Tip: We did not stay at the lodge
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City
Reviewed December 3, 2011

We didn't stay in the lodge but our hotel arranged a fly fishing tour for us. It was a full day tour with John who is such a great and sincere man and he knew the lakes very well. We caught many fish in the river and released them. Lunch was included and his wife prepared it which was one of the best meal I had in Puerto Varas!

If you're looking for a great experience and enjoying the lakes in Puerto Varas - I highly recommend you to use John as your fishing instructor or guide. We didn't find the agents from Grey Adventures or Orvis to be helpful plus they were charging for equipment while John included that in his price!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 5, 2011

This lodge is so wonderful-I stayed here with my husband & we were truly sad to leave. It is set about 4km off the main road which makes for a great setting, peaceful and scenic. There are fantastic views over the lake and the volcanoes, lots of bird and wildlife and lovely gardens.we were staying for b&b but we decided to try a day fishing which John kindly organised and he took us.we had a great day rafting and fishing down the river,stopped for a picnic lunch (wonderfully prepared by Teresa) and continued into the early evening. It was a great first time for us. Whilst at the lodge John also organised for us to go horse riding. This was great-we went about 2hours uphill and did some cattle herding on the way with the farmer and then 2hours back down.very good horses and a fair price.

Breakfast was the best we had experienced in Chile- really nice coffee, eggs, toasts, fruits, jams,honey etc- a filling start to the day.

The lodge is cozy, homely and the beds are super comfy. It's nice to sit out in the evening with a beer and watch the sunset.

Although it is off the main road we found it convenient as we had our own hire car. Once back onto the main road the town of ESenda is just a few kms away and there are small supermarkets and restaurants there. Fresh breads are available.

We ate at the Bordelago restaurant a few times-it is a buffet (salads, bread and desserts, and then a choice of meat or fish (cooked to order for the main). It was good.

In summary the thing that made this stay so special for us was the way we were looked after by the hosts. We felt at home.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Outstanding location, scenery and hospitality. Amazing to sit eating a meal with views of snow-capped volcanoes and a lake. Just a short drive from Porto Varras but in splendid isolation. The owners are fantastic hosts and the standard of the food and presentation were excellent. Highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2011

John and Teresa's Tres Rios Lodge is in a wondeful location overlooking a lake and volcano in the Chilean Lake District. We didn't go for the fishing but just to chill out for a few days in a tranquil place. And what a place this is. The lodge has been designed and bullt to create a uniique environment where you feel at home right away and are made to feel welcome by Teresa's great chilean cuisne and John's local knowledge of landscape, flora and fuana. Teresa's garden is also a peaceful and colourful place to explore. Very highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed March 23, 2011

My husband and I arranged to stay with John and his family in Puerto Varas for a week, which I would also highly recommend. My parents and sisters liked the idea so much, they decided to join us for New Years. John and his wife were so accommodation and we were set up at the Tres Rios Lodge, which is usually used for fishing groups. The main Tres Rios house is a dream and the setting is unreal. Because we were a last minute overflow accommodation, his wife stayed back at the B&B, but they provided us with tons of yummy food, and directed us to the most amazing cheese place. I was recovering from surgery, but my husband hiked all around, and the weather was unbelievable. The main house is ideal and had tons of books for us to read, lovely sitting areas, and was nice and warm at night (a function of the wood it is built out of). They were perfect hosts and made our New Year’s unforgettable, we were completely immersed in nature, waking up at the foot of a volcano. My husband and I stayed in the 2nd cabin at Tres Rios and woke up to a picture perfect view of the Volcano. I don’t have enough good things to say about this place, it’s location, and the owners. Please remember to expect a house, not a hotel, which is exactly what we wanted and got.

There are many places to hike, fish, horeseback ride, explore, including tree houses, but I was resting my hip, so I can't comment on that. Knowing the area, I'd guess they are equally amazing.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family