“excellent steak, great atmosphere, good value for money”
Review of El Fogon de Pepe

El Fogon de Pepe
Ranked #1 of 145 Restaurants in Puerto Montt
Cuisines: Chilean
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
London
“excellent steak, great atmosphere, good value for money”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

After several very poor steaks recently I decided to go to El Fogon de Pepe which I visited a year ago. Having liked it previously I was surprised it is now No.7 on TripAdvisor – perhaps because the El Fogon web site is down (it’s easy to locate as their road runs parallel to the Promenade). It still has bags of character and this time I took my camera – see photos. I didn’t order a starter but some Chorizo arrived along with “fluffy” rolls (sopaipillas) plus tomato and onion salsa; a good start. I ordered a 350-gram rib-eye, sweetcorn, avocado and fat chips. The steak was superb, such a delight after recent disappointments – I had a glass of house red and was too full for a desert. It seats circa 70 and was turning around tables on a Tuesday evening – all clientele apart from me were locals. It has a great atmosphere prompted by the staff who also clearly enjoyed the evening. The bill was 17,300 Chilean pesos (circa UK£ 25.) not including service. My faith in Chilean steak is restored!

• Visited March 2013

“Wonderful food and friendly staff to non Spanish speaking patron”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

While the food was very tasty( I had the ribeye steak), what I enjoyed most was the friendly and attentive staff. As a non Spanish speaking individual, they were very helpful and patient to make sure I knew what I was ordering as well as making friendly conversation. I will be eating here again before I leave.

Ghent, Belgium
“Excellent restaurant also appreciated by the locals”
Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

After 4 days on the Chiloe island where had fantastic fish every single day we were looking for some good meat.
The interior is very cozy and the staff extremely helpful. You have all kind of meat but I recommend the beaf specially the "picaña". It is cooked on the charcoal and you get exactly your meat cooked as you request. The side dishes are also excellent.
The price is also correct for the quality.

Nashville, Tennessee
“Great Food; Friendly Staff”
Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

Situated on a quiet street, warm interior. Food was excellent, fresh, and cooked to order. The pork and venison sausage were big and juicy. My short rib was served simply with potatoes - cooked to perfection. Fresh salads. Great wine list. The owner went from table to table throughout the evening to make sure everyone was happy. Smoking is permitted in dining room, but was a minor nuisance.

Santiago
“Less Than I Was Led To Believe”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

El Fogon de Pepe was recommended to me as a great steak place, but I found it only average and inferior to others in southern Chile. The steaks are ok, but not top, and the service was very slow - they seemed to forget about the guy alone in the corner both with the main course and dessert.

• Visited August 2012