“The ferry never left!!”
Review of Navimag

Navimag
Ranked #12 of 40 things to do in Puerto Montt
More attraction details
Owner description: Connecting the Chilean Patagonia through the southern fjords. Come and join us in a different travel experience #traveldifferent
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“The ferry never left!!”
Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

I booked my trip from puerto Chacabuco to Puerto Montt. First they told me it was leaving on Friday and then about 2 days before the departure they emailed me that it would be leaving on Saturday. Then the day before the trip when we had already traveled to puerto Chacabuco they emailed me and said it was not leaving at all. It was horribly frustrating!

4 Thank C4t4

Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
131 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 125 helpful votes
“Great, relaxing and scenic way through the fjords.”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I'd highly recommend the Navimag ferry from Puerto Natales to Puerto Montt. I did the 4 night, 3 day trip in May 2012. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but, having read the reviews below and based on a few comments from fellow passengers, I think a lot depends on what your expectations are.

To enjoy it, I think you have to be interested in a fairly slow, calm journey through the magnificent fjords simply enjoying the views when the weather is good. If you're looking for constant activity and excitement plus, you're going to be disappointed. It's RELAXING!

I was actually surprised when one of my fellow passengers said to me, "The scenery is all the same!" with the clear impression that he was bored. I couldn't relate as I thought the scenery was magnificent, and I found it wonderful to sit on board the boat and watch the world/scenery pass by.

Many of the passengers found the section through the Pacific and the Bay of Paynes (?) to be rougher than they would have liked and ran to their beds. I didn't think it was that bad, but very few folks were out and about - and it's lots worse on other crossings from what our guide said.

There were presentations every afternoon - both in English and Spanish - on the wildlife and history of the fjords.

One thing I would say was a problem with Navimag was their communication before the trip. My information said the boat left at 6 am so I planned on getting there one hour beforehand. Only by chance did I learn that we had to board the night before at 9 pm. I'd recommend contacting Navimag before your trip to find out any particular boarding instructions. I think the times change based on the tides and when they need to pass through certain channels at high tide.

Visited May 2012
18 Thank Mathyew
Gosford, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Puerto Natales to Puerto Montt - Low Season. A trip marred by one unfortunate incident”
Reviewed June 17, 2012

We travelled with Navimag - June 2012 (low season). Very quiet onboard - maybe 25 guests so plenty of space. If the ship was full the communal areas would definately have been cramped.
Overall we enjoyed our trip. We were upgraded to AA cabin (tiny but fine) as it was so quiet. The food was good except for always being cold/luke warm - enjoyed the variety of fish, meat, soups, salads etc.
The views were good. It was freezing outside but we didnt have much rain although there was heavy snow one day. Only saw sealions - no whales, dolphins, penguins and it is worth noting that in the low season there was no opportunity to see any glaciers, no disembarkation at Puerto Eden and you are unlikely to see whales.
Unfortunately during our trip we discovered that 2 men wearing crew jackets had been spying underneath our curtain into our cabin watching me and my husband changing and being intimate. We reported this and had a meeting with the 1st mate but ultimately nothing was done about it at all and it was only coincidence that we caught them at it. It concerns me that this may be a regular thing.
I also found it a bit upsetting that there were lorries of cows in the hold - they were crammed in and the sea was rough during the ocean crossing. We could hear them in our cabin sometimes and smell them from outside.
Overall this is a good way to see the patagonian fjords. Price was reasonable - $300 for 4 nights and 3 days but ship very basic with a few issues as listed above. If I had paid top money for a private cabin I think I would feel ripped off.

Visited June 2012
7 Thank Alexgrace14
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“It's been a year and the memories make me smile”
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Hello fellow globetrotters,

Yes, the weather is tricky and the views are dependent upon it, but this is a magical trip. We traveled as family in 2010/2011. It's a working ferry, and not a luxury experience; but we loved the authenticity and uniqueness of the boat and the other highly international passengers. Slow down the pace of your life, bring good books, and enjoy being disconnected for a couple days, while breathtaking scenary goes by romantically interrupted by rain, fog, wind, and happily, sunshine. Worth the distance to travel and definitely worth the cost.

Visited December 2011
4 Thank ues_nycg
San José, Costa Rica
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Excellent service, beautiful scenarios.”
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We travelled from Puerto Montt to Puerto Natales on board Evangelistas ferry. First recommendation, be on time, they do leave when they say they will. The trip is very calm and nice and you can see beautiful Patagonia fjords, dolphins and whales if lucky (we were!). The open sea very short part of the trip (6 hours more or less) can make you uncomfortable if prone to sea sickness. Just follow the crew advice and take the pill when recommended, try to sleep...don't eat anything that day and the next day you will be just good as new and all the trip is so worth it you won't regret taking the chance. Seriously I am not a nature person and I loved it. The price includes 3 meals a day and you can purchase some chips and chocolates on the bar. You can also bring some cookies just for the in between meals, but they are very good in taste and abundant as well so you won't need it. The rooms are pretty small but sufficient and the window is a nice extra if you can afford it. We were 3 adults (family) and had a very nice time. Would not recommend it for small children or teens, they may get a little bored.

Visited April 2012