“Cosy hostel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hosteria iecole!

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pucon
Hosteria iecole!
Ranked #109 of 169 Specialty Lodging in Pucon
Laval, Canada
“Cosy hostel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2010

Get in Pucon for some outdoor adventure.
Went to downtown and found this little hostel.
Get a room for a cheap price.
One queen bed, private toilet, EXTRAORDINARY breakfast, near downtown.
Really cool place to hang around.
In downtown.
Lots of nice people there!

Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2010

Amazing restaurant. But our room at the back outside was massively damp. It would have been fine if they dried it out and got in some fresh sheet and duvets, but everything just felt a bit old. Owner very friendly.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
The Bay Area
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2009

overpriced. The rave (and overblown) reviews in the Lonely Planet have resulted in increased prices at the Ecole. I checked in at the Ecole after reading LP and only then read the Tripod - especially the account of (alleged) bedbugs. Yikes! Bedbugs?!!!

I am happy to report there was no trace of vermin in my cabin at Ecole. The room was tidy, simple and tastefully done. The food was universally good. Staff was taciturn and i can see how some (especially visitors from USA) might construe this as unfriendly. A worse problem is that virtually no one spoke English - despite the fact that most (perhaps 90%) of their guests were English speakers. That is unprofessional.

In summary, this is a nice place, a bit overpriced (my estimate is about 5000 pesos/room). The raving Lonely Planet reviews must be due to kickbacks or special treatment.

If you visit you should go up the volcano and visit the Huerquehe park. I recommend the Politur agency, had good experiences with them. I do not recommend Aguaventura (a French outfit).

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cuckatoo
United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2009

It has a good concept, "environmentally conscious" but:

1. The staff is NOT friendly.
2. Rooms are tiny and cold except at night when it's HOT.
3. Food is good but overpriced.
4. Did I mention the staff isn't friendly?
5. They offer trips but require a certain amount of people and if you travel with only one other person it's difficult to go on Ecole's trips.

Find somewhere else to stay in Pucon.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank internationalhobo123

Travelers are raving about these Pucon hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2009

As with most reviewers my husband and I headed to iecole after reading the write up in the Lonely Planet. While the first impressions are very good due to the lovely looking restaurant/lounge area, we made a big mistake not looking at the rooms before we checked in (as we had pretty much everywhere else we'd stayed) because the reviews had been so enthusiastic.

We regretted this pretty much immediately and even tried to leave earlier than planned but because Pucon was so busy due to the holidays, we couldn't find another hostel. The rooms are small and cramped, the shared bathrooms aren't overly clean and always have a big queue but the worst thing is the noise. The hostel is in a lovely looking old building but you can hear absolutely everything, usually I can sleep anywhere but I didn't manage more than a few hours a night while at iecole and as one of the other reviewers mentioned you will be accompanied in bed by numerous bed bugs! To add insult to injury this hostel is actually quite expensive compared to many others in the area. All in all not a great stay and I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank shelleywLondon
Curitiba
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2009

My husband and I have been 2 times in École in the last month. Once in a double room with private bathroom and breakfast, and the other in a double room without bathroom and breakfast. Both were clean and cosy. the bathroom had hot water.
The breakfast buffet included in the first stay could be better. For room without bathroom the breakfast was not included, so we could choose something better from the menu.
The vegetarian restaurant was great and not expensive.
There was a nice living room with library, a fireplace and people from all over the world.
In the front desk you could book tours like treeking, rafting, climbing, with great guides like Max and good agencies.
I do recommend this place.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2009

I stayed at ¡Ecole! only last week in a twin room upstairs next to the shared bathroom. The staff were friendly when checking in.

The room was very small for the price, however looked OK and cosy with the wood panneling. However, in the middle of the night I could feel something biting me all over, like tiny needles going into my skin. I tried to sleep, but found it difficult. There were no mosquitos in the room though.

The next morning I woke up with lumps all over my body. I inspected the bed and found it was infested with bed bugs (I´m an Ecologist and know the signs - should have checked first though!). I then wanted and instant shower! There was no warm water (it was freezing cold) on the top floor, so I used the grotty bathroom downstairs. I showed the receptionist my bites and she said nonchantly that I didn´t have to pay.

That day these numerous bites just swelled up all over and were so painful in the heat and touching clothes. A week later they have started to go down, and you can now see the extent of just how many there are.

I definately woudn´t recommend staying here if you don´t like bed bugs. I didn´t stay for the food.

M00nchild. January 2009.

• Liked — The wooden house structure.
  • Disliked — The bed bugs and freezing water in the shower.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo