See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We stayed at Hotel Huincahue in July/August 2011, for about 3 nights. The hotel has a lovely feel, the staff are friendly and the location is outstanding. The room was comfortable, and the bed was good. The big thing was the heating- the entire hotel was freezing cold (winter) because the wall heating wasn't working (it seemed that it wouldn't be fixed for some time). The room had reverse cycle heating/aircon, but this wasn't much good for a cold bathroom! This made it unpleasant to sit for meals and relax in the lobby or bar. If this was fixed, this would be a comfortable 4 star hotel.

Nonetheless, Francisco the manager was very helpful and priced the room suitably and overall we were happy. If the heating isn't fixed- summer only.

Room Tip: ask for one of the larger rooms
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2012

We had a pleasant 2 nights stay. The double bedroom is very spacious, comfortable and clean. Breakfast consisted of scrambled eggs, cereals, fruit, cakes, loaf bread with jams, (paper thin) ham and cheese, fresh fruit juices, tea and coffee.

The only problems we had were with lack of attendance at the front desk. We were required to hand in our room key before going out but there was never anyone there to take it! Another problem was the weak wifi which only worked in the lobby and breakfast area.

Overall though I would recommend this hotel as it is good value for the location and quality.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed December 12, 2011

My husband and I recently visited Pucon and stayed at the Hotel Huinachue with our son and a friend and found it a delightful place to stay. There is a lot to like about this hotel. The staff were extremely nice and helpful and the rooms were spacious, comfortable and clean. We loved the wonderful view of Volcan Villarrica from our window. The hotel is nicely situated opposite the plaza and close to restaurants, cafes and shops. We would highly recommend Hotel Huicahue.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ChrisP06
Reviewed December 2, 2011

I am writing from within the hotel, Dec. 3, 2011. Out of curiosity I read the reviews for this hotel, and laughed a bit at the creative writing. Mostly what people have said is exactly right on, but I think the hotel has got an unfair bad rap for relatively minor things like a cold lobby or slightly dark areas. The bottom line is this hotel is very clean, the rooms are spacious and well lit with big windows, the location is literally perfect, there is free good wifi in the lobby areas, the service is friendly, and a big bonus is if you have a car they have an enclosed, gated, private, locked parking area, which is really great. One prior writer pointed out a few things which are also true, but not really that bad: water takes a long time to get hot--this is very true, but once it does get hot, it stays hot and even; cold--yes, it is a bit cold, but if you know how to work the heater, it quickly gets nice and warm in the room, and the heater is nearly silent; not a very good breakfast--I don't fully agree, although I have had better breakfasts. Maybe they have learned from the reviews. My eggs were freshly made just for me, and were nicely scrambled and served hot off the griddle, not overdone. The breads were very plain as the prior writer said. There were a couple of croissant like rolls which were fresh and slightly crispy. The fruit was fine. There was yogurt. Coffee was instant! Juice was in fact fresh. I thought the cheese was actually very good. So, a kind of average breakfast. The main thing here is very clean; very spacious (I am in the first room to the right, down the hall through the door, then first right door). Bathroom is large and everything works. Towel is plush and feels new. So, I like it, and was very, very surprised to see it so low on the list. It will rise up over time.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Aaron L
Reviewed November 8, 2011

The only reason I was in Pucon is my partner wanted to climb the Villarica volcano (which he ended up not doing because of the weather). We arrived at the tail end of a Chilean national holiday so most hotels were fully booked. We managed to find a room at the Huincahue after driving around town for a few minutes. From the street, it looked the best of all the ones we saw (and we did not feel like paying the extremely high prices at Hotel Antumalal).

We got a very quiet, large room facing the garden and swimming pool. It's important not to face the street as there is a casino one block away and there may be noise late at night from people walking home or from cars.

The bed was typical of Chilean hotels, meaning, a small queen sized bed. After staying in Chilean and Argentine hotels I can say Argentine hotels have larger, better beds.

Also, it was a bit chilly on one day during our stay in Pucon (we stayed 2 days) and the hotel common areas, like the dining room and lobby, as well as the hallways, were very cold and dark. Chileans don't heat or light their rooms as well as Argentines because of the high energy costs in Chile, but still, we were paying about US$127 per night which was not cheap, so I expected them to heat and light the hotel properly.

Service is very good -- staff are on top of things, friendly and helpful.

Breakfast was grim: watery coffee, no fresh juice, bland cheese, pre-sliced supermarket bread (a la Wonderbread), no natural (unsweetened) yogurt. Eating brekkie in a dining room as cold as a crypt was unpleasant. But this is not unusual for Chilean hotels where the food and amenities are far below Argentine hotels.

In fact, if you go to the supermarket in Pucon, you will see just how awful the food/drink choices are in this country: powdered coffee (Nescafe) dominates, powdered milk or milk in cartons sitting on shelves, no fresh milk, terrible bread, bland cheese, wilting vegetables, all in a supermarket with inadequate lighting (so you can't see the awful veg/fruit?).

So this hotel is not giving you bad stuff -- it's just giving you regular Chilean stuff.

Still, our room was quiet, comfortable, had heating and some light and the shower was strong (although you have to wait a few minutes for the warm water to come on).

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the street, but facing the garden/pool
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple