“once grand”
Review of Gran Hotel Pucon

Gran Hotel Pucon
Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Pucon
Reviewed October 5, 2010

extremly run down, nice staff, excelent location, nice outdoor pool and beach, horrible indoor pool and spa, no internet in rooms.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Gran Hotel Pucon

Reviewed November 20, 2009

This is an overpriced hotel that lives on its past glory. The building itself is a bit shabby & run down and while there is a safe in every room you have no way of operating it. The water is warm but not hot (which was a downer) and the toilet can't be persuaded to flush everything in a single swing.

There is a pool and a (decent) exercise room, which i only discovered several days later.

I found the staff to be helpful and accommodating. WiFi was only found in the bar and the staff did not bother me even when i used the area only to surf the web.

All in all, not bad but not great.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed June 15, 2009

Hotel is dated 1930, and due to a fire a couple of years ago it was moved to this location.
Casino and an alternative restaurant is located one block away. Rooms views are excellent to the Villarica volcano or the lake.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank AlvaroM
Reviewed March 11, 2009

I stayed at the Gran Hotel Pucon for three nights in early February 2009. I was so utterly disappointed by the experience that I felt compelled to educate (read: warn) fellow travelers before they make the same decision (read: mistake) as me. To be perfectly honest, this was the WORST stay at a hotel I have EVER had.

I decided to book my reservation based on the hotel's appearance and location. In photos and even upon arrival (from a distance), the hotel appears to have all of the charm of a historic international hotel. It is centrally located between downtown Pucon and the beaches of Lake Villarica and has an attractive facade.

However, all of the charm faded the moment I walked into the tired lobby. At check-in, I was greeted by a 20 minute line due to understaffing, and then checked-in with the overworked and uninviting staff. The two "vintage" hydraulic elevators should have been replaced years ago and could only accommodate two persons with luggage. Thus, I wound up using the staircase (to my room on the 4th floor) during most of the trip. My city view room was cramped and had not been remodeled in several decades. There was dust and dirt everywhere and the linens were noticeably dirty. The hallway walls on the 4th floor were falling apart at the seams with broken base boards and holes in the sheetrock at every 5 feet. I've seen hostels in much better states of repair.

All this being said, my big complaints didn’t really exist until the first night of my stay. To start with, the hotel does not have air conditioning and so when we returned back in the evening, it was very hot and stuffy in the room. I thus called to request a fan and was told that it would be up in a few minutes. Two more calls and several hours later, the fan never arrived. But I’ve digressed, as naturally upon returning to the room, I initially cracked the window to let some cooler air in. Unfortunately, I quickly discovered that the area and park next door to the hotel is the center for “child partying” in Pucon. When I say “child partying,” I mean the type of stuff that Americans normally see at Chucky Cheese’s. However, unlike Americans, the kids in Pucon are allowed to run wild until sunrise. There was some large train ride that would pass by every few minutes until after 3 AM and whistle a ridiculously loud horn. There were dozens of kids in their early teen playing until past 5 AM. Without exaggeration, I wasn’t able to sleep more than 2 hours a night while there due to the heat/noise issues. Upon complaining to the front desk and asking that we be moved to a room that is quieter and/or not as stuffy, I was told that the hotel was completely sold out and there were no alternative accommodations available. I talked to the manager and she was also unwilling to help us out.

Additionally, the only way to describe breakfast was disgusting. All the table linens were stained, none of the food from other tables was bused by the staff and the food selection (while large) was unappetizing, the coffee was burnt, even the hot water tasted horrible—and I’m no picky eater.

The only plusses of the hotel are its location and beach/pool area. But to be honest, anyone can walk into the lobby and use the pool. Plus, the beach is open to the public anyway. So, I recommend that you heed my advice and avoid this place at all costs.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank Explorer_For_Life
Reviewed December 2, 2008

way too expensive for what it is. Try staying in some other hotels in pucon. the views are great but the place is definately not 4 star

Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed July 4, 2008

Excellent location right in front of Villarica lake. Wonderful lake view. Very large room, clean, nicely maintained. Wonderful breakfast. Indoor pool was a little bit old, needs a refresh soon! Attendants could also be more attentious. Offers good services (tour office inside, gym, etc) and is incredibly close to the main streets in city center. Would definitely come back.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Michelot
A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed April 20, 2006

While the location and view cannot be beat the Gran Hotel Pucon is not so good.

When we checked in we felt like we were being treated as potential thieves. It seemed odd that we were issued a TV remote control that we needed to return it to the desk on departure. Also the odd requirement that we wear a permanent plastic wrist band just to tell the dining room we had paid for breakfast seemed quite tacky.

We were first assigned to a room on the third floor directly across from rooms that were undergoing remodeling. Workers were still working at 6 p.m. and dust was everywhere. We asked for another room and they gave us a nice room on the second floor – but we had to wait while they made a key for the room. We moved our own luggage because although we requested a bellman he never appeared – although the hotel was far from busy.

In the room it seemed odd that there was no manual way to operate the lock from the inside of the room. Once you are in the room you have to use your key to lock and unlock the deadbolt lock. Two days later we found how much of a problem this is. We were in our room when someone knocked on the door. When we responded they went away without answering. They had however used the key in the lock. We then found ourselves locked in our room. Our key would not open the door from the inside. When the desk clerk arrived we found that the master key, while it would open the door from the outside, would not work on the inside.

Beyond our room problems the Gran Hotel Pucon is far from grand. It appears to be understaffed and the building and grounds are in need of long deferred maintenance. The pier on the lake is completely broken down and looks like it has been that way for at least a year. The small Hotel Huincahue across the park does not have a view but looked like a better option.

• Stayed: March 2006