“Loved it!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 169 Specialty Lodging in Pucon
australia
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

We loved this little hostel in the middle of Pucon. It is the NEW Dondegerman Hostel and it was really gorgeous - we didn't expect this for the price.

The service was great. Our room was really cute with beautiful colourful linen in great taste. It also had gorgeous views of the Volcano (which we only saw for a few hours before clouds came over). The bathroom though is sooo amazing!!! I think each room is a little different but our bathroom was huge with a giant shower with pretty blue tiles. The whole hostel is made from timber which gives it a warm european feel.

The common areas are pleasant and clean with a great kitchen. There is no washing machine but I think this is fairly usual in Chile so you'll need to use a laundry if you need to clean clothes or I think they have a laundry service through the hostel.

The town of Pucon is really great too. We didn't have much time to see it and wish we could have stayed a little longer.

Room Tip: We had the blue room and loved it!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Trois-Rivieres, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

I have stayed there twice and had two totally different experiences.

The first time I stayed with my boyfriend and mother in April. We were all impressed with the hostel and the bathrooms (rain showers!). The owner and namesake was in charge that weekend. He was relaxed and friendly to us and the other guests, in both English and Spanish. He encouraged a good atmosphere, gave good recommendations and kept the hostel a nice, warm temperature. All of the guests cooked together and drank wine in the lounge and had a great time.

Then, a few weeks ago we went back because we had such a good time there before. COMPLETELY different experience. The woman who was in charge (who I believe normally is in charge) is a total nightmare! She lectures, she condescends, she whines. Basically, we stayed with an overbearing relative. When we arrived, she made us wait while she interviewed cleaning ladies (and asked them inappropriately personal questions) and when she showed us in, she made us remove our shoes right away, even though she was out of slippers, so we were forced to walk around in our socks before even being shown our room.

The rest of our stay was more of the same... She also complained to us about Israelis and French people and said other ignorant things...

Another thing I saw that really upset me was how she treats the lady who cleans. The lady who cleans seems to have some sort of disability, but really works hard and does a good job. Our room was spotless and the bathrooms are pristine. This women just rides her, day and night, and you often hear her whining this poor woman's name or yelling at her. The other guests all started to complain about it and how it was making them uncomfortable.

The last straw for me was when we had checked out and stored our bags before our bus. After walking around, we went to leave and I needed to use the bathroom... and she would not allow me in the hostel to use the bathroom. She made me use the bathroom in her office, filled with cleaning supplies.

I wanted to write this all down, in hopes that the owners read this, because as long as that woman is there, I won't be returning, which is a real shame, because the hostal itself, location, and cleanliness really are superb.

Room Tip: One of the rooms that they sell as a double is two beds pushed together-- so if you're a couple...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank PurrpleHays
Playa Del Carmen
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed at the old hostel in both the cabins and inside the main building. Both rooms were nice and the bathrooms clean. The kitchen area was large and was mostly well equipped. The living area was also really cosy with a fireplace and couches. There were bikes for rent and German was happy to call tour companies for. The negative: the fires were not filled with enough wood and left to burn out at times as guests were not permitted to restock the fire. This was not ideal in the middle of winter when this was the only source of heat. The kitchen closed at 11pm. At times this is not late enough when there are several groups cooking/eating. We were told that we can go to the nightclub if we wanted to stay up. We were a group of 8 who just wanted to chat. The owner was rude and very unwelcoming and several times would tell us off for various things. She come downstairs in a huff and turned on the fan for the oven saying she didnt like the smells of our cooking. On the last morning she tipped out half my kettle of water and told me I was using the wrong kettle for two people, that I should be using the small kettle - even though me and my friend drink a few cups of tea each. Overall a lovely hostel jaded by a rude owner who treats her guests like children.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Becapa
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

The hostel is in a nice and quiet location, close to all the many supermarkets in Pucon as well as Pucon-centro. There is a big garden with outdoor seating where you can sit and enjoy view of Villarica volcano. Our room was comfortable as well, although cold. We had to ask the owners to turn on the gas heating which they did after making sure we would turn it off properly. No problems! The bathroom was pokey, right next door to the cleaning supplies room I think, so we could hear the cleaners and woman who runs it talking.
Common facilities are very nice: great big spacious warm lounge with lots of light being let in through big windows. The kitchen is also very big and has great storage as each guest has a designated place to store their food (no chance to get your food mixed up with another backpacker).
The major problem with this hostel is the woman owner who is overbearing and extremely specific. When we arrived she said we could park our car in the driveway which we planned to do after returning later thta day from a hike. There was definitely space in the driveway for two cars to park, but she insisted on only car being allowed to park, so we had to park somewhere else, in the driveway which was covered in broken glass. Also when we checked in, she went through all the rules and we were given a 5 minute lesson on how to close the door properly. She then made us practice. This woman has no faith in people fyi. She treats guests like potential criminals. Later on in the evening we were cooking dinner and she marched in, turned on the extractor while my boyfriend was cooking, and gave us a lecture about it. Other guests had had similar experiences with her, everyone was a little afraid of her! The thing that really did it for me was when I went out to the supermarket my boyfriend sat it the lounge to skype with his family. After skyping he went to the bathroom upstairs. When I returned from the supermarket the woman came in to the kitchen and started to have a 5 minute rant about how I wasn't allowed to use the bathroom upstairs, that I was only allowed to use the bathroom in our bedroom which was outside. I said to her I hadn't used the bathroom and couldn't understand why she was saying this to me, she then went on to accusing me of using the bathroom (for which I still can't understand why guests aren't allowed to use the bathroom nearest to the common facilities)... This went on and on, she was extremely rude to me about it. It was only after talking with my boyfriend that he said he'd used the bathroom upstairs, which is where she must of gotten the idea that one of us had used it! I still don't understand why guests can't use the bathroom nearest to the common facilities. For guests who have outside bedrooms (which is most of them) the woman owner expects people to trek 5 minutes out in the dark to their own bedroom... It's all a bit bizarre and unaccommodating.

Another point of note that really drove us crazy was the rule that you aren't allowed to drink or eat anything in the lounge. This meant that the lounge was hardly ever in use, as you're not even allowed to have a glass of water on hand.

I would say that this hostel could potentially be one of the most relaxing places to hang out in Pucon if the woman owner would loosen up or be brough to heed. Her son who is also involved in the running of it was hardly ever around, but I suspect that if he had a greater hand in running the place it would have a very different vibe.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Julia W
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed that the rooms and bathrooms were very nice and clean. The whole hostel has a very cozy feel. The kitchen is large, however there were only filthy and smelly sponges with which to clean dishes, and we found some if the wooden utensils to be cracked and moldy, the corkscrew completely broken. The manager while we were there did not speak English, and was somewhat difficult to locate at times. She did seem very kind, however i can see why other reviewers may have felt uncomfortable. Overall very nice place to stay, kitchen could use more attention.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

This place was so gorgeous and comfortable, we intended on staying only for a few days and ended up staying for 10!
Our room (8) had an amazing view of the Villarica Volcano, which was stunning to wake up to every morning.
The kitchen is huge and fully equipped, we cooked most days and chilled by the log fire.
The shared spaces for watching tv and lazing on the sofa are clean, fresh and ideal for doing very little!
Absolutely lovely place, look no further.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

This place is a gem and anyone seeking a balance of price and quality will love it. Rooms are clean, wifi available in living area, toilets are nice and general feeling of this place is great! We were given Room 6 and it had a wonderful view of Volcán Vallarica right from the bed. Kitchen is always clean with fridge available, and the supermarket and JAC bus terminal is within walking distance of 1-2 blocks. The only drawback is that compared to other accommodations it is not on O'Higgins but that also means its less noisy. Would definitely recommend this place to anyone coming to Pucon, and I will personally stay here again if I return :)