“Wonderful hotel in a fairy-tale setting”
Review of Petrohue Lodge

Petrohue Lodge
Reviewed May 15, 2011

This would have to be one of the most beautiful locations anywhere - under a snow-clad volcano on an emerald lake in a national park. The hotel is extremely comfortable; and the rooms are very large with outstanding views. There are no TVs or phones in the rooms, and the ambience is - well - just lovely. Our room had an open fire, a balcony and windows overlooking just about everything, so we were tempted to just sit and stare, but we did venture out on excellent walks, the cost of which were included in the rate. All meals were included; their quality was very good and the quantity was huge. Service was excellent.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank A53

Reviewed March 1, 2011

This is a very good hotel in a magical location with spectacular views of Osorno volcano and sitting on the edge of Lake Todos los Santos. This is the place where the ferry to Puella leaves, from where people travel on to Bariloche in Argentina so it is busy during the day but quiet at night.

The hotel is a majestic stone and wood-gabled building complete with tower. We had a beautiful room with large balcony and fine view of the lake. There is a comfortable lounge with log fire. Dinner is a set meal with two choices - basic but good. The staff were helpful and friendly.

On our first night the hotel was dominated by a large and loud tour party who rather took over. On our second night it was more pleasant with couples and small groups.

On our first day we took the ferry to Puella which is a wonderful, memorable and highly recommended trip, although the boat was heaving with the package tour crowd. Puella was a disappointment with the owners taking the opportunity to try to sell as much as they can to their captive visitors. We were hoping to do some walking but were only offered expensive guided walks. There is a however nice short walk to a waterfall.

On our second day we drove into the Rio Cochamo Valley - spectacular and stunning and yet to be opened up to tourists - you'll need a 4X4.

In general however a very good experience and would highly recommend the Petrohue Hotel.

Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Spineynorman
Reviewed November 26, 2010

Granted....This hotel is miles from anything in a national forest, i think, but their policy with being an eco hotel, I have issues with. We arrived to the end of the road to the jumping off point for adventure trips and a catamaran that leaves Lago Todos los Santos for Bariloche Argentina. Due to a whole lot of rain, we decided to stop for lunch, which was fabulous, then checked into the lodge. The hotel is very nice and they advertise as the "Only Luxury Lodge in Chile". We go up to our room, which is on the 3rd floor and overlooks the lake. 18 degree celsius and cold. It is raining cats and dogs. I think a nice warm bath is in order and John heads for the bed for a nap.......then no heat and no hot water!!!! They do not turn on heat until 6:30- midnight. They have no T.V or wifi? What kind of crap is this? for $250/nt. There is a laminated folder that explains how you can help them conserve energy. I did talk to the manager, and she had the boiler cranked up. also, they lend us an internet wireless connection thing, so it worked out fine. I just don't get the eco thing....you would think they would give discounts for saving them money?
I have to say the restaurant at the hotel was great and they made me pancakes for breakfast the next day. Would I recommend this hotel to a friend????? NO, but I would recommend eating there.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Emily F
Reviewed April 9, 2010

My wife and I throughly enjoyed the hotel, the food in the restaurant and especially the lake Todos los Santos and volcano Osorno views. A bit expensive but great location !

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 23, 2010

I stayed at one of the beachside cabins of Hotel Petrohue for 2 nights.

The setting of Hotel Petrohue is amazing. The cabins (much are located opposite the hotel) offer a great choice if you want to self cater. The cabin was equipped with everything you could possibly need for a few days or week stay. Bed are comfortable, shower is warm and there is ample firewood for the fireplace. There are a few cabins in close proximity but you are given enough privacy .

If you are thinking about staying in the cabin, the only thing you will need to ensure you have is ample food. There is no supermarket or food supply store anywhere nearby, so make sure you bring everything before you arrive. I did eat at the hotel restaurant on the 1st evening, and it was ok. The food was nothing to rave about.

The location of the hotel is simply beautiful. It is definitely remote, but if you didn't want the remoteness then you wouldn't be looking for a hotel in the area. Make sure you take the day trip cruise through Todos los Santos Lake over to Peulla Village. Enjoy spectacular scenery and a nice lunch before hoping back on and returning it Petrohue.

There are also some nice walking trails around Petrohue to go on and get closer to the Osorno Volcano, but make sure you get good directions from someone at the hotel. The National Park office (which is close by) gave incorrect directions and the trial is not easy to follow without them.

I'm really glad I stayed in a cabin and not in the hotel while I was in Petrohue. I feel I got a real sense of the tranquillity and magic that Petrohue has to offer.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wheresjay
Reviewed November 6, 2009

The hotel is in a remarkable location right on Lago de Todos Santos, well placed to travel to Peulla and on to Bariloche. The hotel is lovely and the staff were consistently excellent. Nevertheless, you are basically compelled to go for half-board, but there is a very limited choice and the hotel suffered from the relatively poor food especially given the sky-high price. However, the location is spectacular. You should also be aware that to reach the hotel you need to travel about five km on an unsealed road - following heavy rain this was not easy in our small hire car!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2009

If you want to escape the bigger tourist crowds of Puerto Varas, this out of the way spot (almost an hour drive from airport) is perfectly situated on the Lake of Todos Los Santos and the neighborhing volcano. The airline had lost my luggage and the hotel staff graciously lent me clothes so I could do all the hikes and excursions I had planned. My first room was small and dark but I asked for a better room and was given one with a small balcony and a nice side view of the lake. A gorgeous little spot with cabin-like coziness. A fond memory despite all the travel mishaps along the way!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Parque Nacional Vicente Perez Rosales
Hotel AWA
#1 of 1 in Ensenada
Teski Refugio Volcan Osorno
Teski Refugio Volcan Osorno
#16 of 84 in Puerto Varas

Been to Petrohue Lodge? Share your experiences!