“One of the most amazing experiences of my life”
Review of Atacama Dessert

Ranked #1 of 186 Spas & Wellness in Chile
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed November 26, 2013

This desert is simply stunning. Absolutely amazing place, unlike anywhere I had ever been. At a high altitiude some of the people I was with got a bit dizzy but no real dramas. We tasted some amazing goats cheese, llama and empanads from authentic chilean places. Cold in the morning and hot during the day, there is so much to see here. Watching the sunset in the Moon Valley will be a memory I hold forever! Best to get a tour guide to really experience the land and learn soem history!

11  Thank Jana P
"laguna"
"volcanoes"
"andes"

Reviewed November 15, 2013

The Atacama region of northern Chile is hyperarid, Scientific evidence is that there was negligible rainfall from 1570 to 1970, and some stations in this area go for a few years without recording a single rain drop, and this extreme dryness has probably gone on for 200 million years. As a result, driving here is an immersion in barrenness and a set of extraordinary conditions like nowhere on earth. Take water, of course. Drive at night with caution, as we noticed a tendency for truckers and other cars not to run headlamps after dark (it's unclear if the lamps didn't work or if the drivers chose to leave them off). At one point driving here, we came upon a very sudden drop in the road, so sudden in fact, that it caused my head to slam into the roof of the rental car, and I wondered for a split second if I'd lose consciousness. I have read that cinematographers for sci-fi movies and shows get stock footage of this desert as purported Mars scenery, though it isn't red. This place can be quite cold at night.

5  Thank karmaswimswami
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I've visited the Chilean part of Atacama Desert through Callama airport and stayed in the city of San Pedro de Atacama for approximately 9 days. And I can say that I should've stayed much more. Great places to visit that mix natural glaciers, hot springs, geysers, lakes and incredible flora and fauna. Not to mention the adventure sports you can practice like mountain bike, trekking, sandboard.. It was the best trip of my life so far!

10  Thank Mare_Frz
Reviewed September 24, 2013

The Atacama Desert must be one of the most amazing places on earth. I stayed in the San Pedro de Atacama Hotel and it was luxury all the way. The day trips to the Lagoons past active volcanos, was something else and all that in the dead of winter. Did I feel the cold? The adrenalin was pumping, I had no time to be cold. One of the best places I have visited. I would recommend at least 3 days to see some of the places.

5  Thank irenesworldtravels