“Princess Cruise on Amazon Dec., 2012”
Review of Amazon River

Amazon River
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Rio Negro Cruise from Manaus to the Amazon River
Ranked #3,613 of 15,574 things to do in Brazil
More attraction details
Owner description: The world’s largest river is filled with mystery and adventure: churning rapids, giant waterlilies large enough to fit a child, alligator-like caimans, narrow tributaries that stretch for miles through the dense rainforest and an incredible variety of wildlife.
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We took the Amazon Cruise on Princess in Dec., 2012-13. I don't have much to say about it other than it was excruciatingly boring. One tends to think of the Amazon as thick jungle and all sorts of exotic animals. We didn't see ONE. The thick jungle, much of the time, is pasture land for grazing animals with small shacks where the farmers stay. This is because of the deforestation of the Amazon jungle that you read about. Since the deep water channel is so far into the huge river, you cannot go near the shore, unless you are making a stop. Other than that, you better have binoculars to even see the shore. Princess was lovely as always - fine service, good food and clean ships, although there had been an outbreak of Norovirus on this ship prior to us getting on. They called Hazmat teams in from Ft. Lauderdale and no one got sick on our cruise, so they must have gotten it. I have spent a lot of time in jungles, having been to 95 countries and while I have been on several ocean cruises and five river cruises, this was by far the most boring, They stopped at some towns along the way and although rather modern, which is alright, they did make one stop in a small village where supposedly Indians lived. Then we saw cable dishes on their homes and other modern things, so it isn't like the place you imagined. The stops were dangerous, I thought, and I was injured coming off the tender. There were two other people who were injured as well - one broken foot and one broken arm. The stops were generally packed with about two or three inches of red mud, and many people fell and slid in this stuff. I guess it would have been worth it if we had seen even one animal, but we didn't. For instance, we signed up to go on a jungle walk and it turned out it was this guy's rather large fenced in back yard. Our sum total of "animals" were large ants. That's it. Manaus, the largest city has a noteworthy opera house, in which Caruso once sang, but the rest of the city is pretty poor and run down. Princess is always lovely - the only criticism I have was that the buffet had way too many plainly cooked carbohydrates - a pan of rice, a pan of mashed potatoes, a pan of spatzle, etc. For those of us who are allergic to garlic, there is virtually nothing to eat. Almost everything is cooked in garlic, so I had almost nothing to eat but the carbs. Generally Princess has better buffets for lunch and this was disappointing. So, I would sum this up by saying, that in my opinion, this is an extremely boring trip with nothing to see and almost nothing to do. They only do it once a year and I see why. Prior to the Amazon, they went to three Caribbean islands, which I had been to several times and Devil's Island - the penal colony off French Guiana. I thought Devil's Island was the best thing on the trip. It was a beautiful area and the three islands are covered with beautiful foliage and flowers. Many of the old buildings are still there, although Devil's Island itself is something you actually cannot visit. You can only look across a channel at it from another of the other two islands. The whole thing was an expensive trip for what you see, which is almost nothing. The other excursions were to see lily pads and an area where the two rivers meet, etc. I think Princess does the best they can with what they have but there just isn't much there.

30  Thank Lhotse21
in 7 reviews
in 4 reviews
in 8 reviews

Reviewed December 27, 2012

In November I took a cruise with HAL that included cruising up the Amazon River to Manaus and back to Ft Lauderdale. It was indeed a trip of a lifetime! Visiting the small villages along the way was by far the most interesting part of the trip for me; Manaus is such a big city, that it seemed no different from other large Central American cities. All other small towns we stopped at during this cruise, offered local tours to see all the highlights available; e.g. fishing for piranahs, treck in the jungle etc. People were always helpful and gracious, even though we could not speak Portuguese. We never felt threatened anywhere we went, even in the chaotic bustle of Manaus at night. The Opera House in Manaus is a must see; it is incredible because of the time it was built (1800s), Manaus was nothing but a village in the middle of the Amazon jungle.

21  Thank Bernadette L
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Me and my husband just came back from beautiful, grand and hot country Brasil, where spent two weeks. Our shedule was very „tight“ – a lot of domestic flights, less sleep, but a lot of best impressions. During two weeks we visited Iguazu Falls, took three days boat trip to Amazone, relaxed in beautiful beach resort Pipa, enjoyed historic sites and night life of Rio. And participated in different 4 Carnaval evenings!
Nature, people and samba – first words about Brasil. All two weeks we met only warm, nice and very friendly people. And did‘nt matter, that some of them did‘nt speak english – that was‘nt obstacle to comunicate, taste fruits or local drinks, to learn dancing samba. Local people enjoy life and share that feeling with all around. About safety – maybe we where lucky one, but all trip we met ONLY FRIENDLY AND OPEN PEOPLE! We can recomend unhesitatingly to visit all places we did it. Unforgetible are Falls, Pipa beaches, beautiful and open atmosphere of Olinda, samba in Lapa, watching Carnaval with local people in Sambodrome. But in first place – magic word AMAZONE. These three days we will remember all our life. All three days we spend in very nice boat, sleeping in hammocks, fishing, alligator spotting, jungle treeking, dolphin watching, canoeing, visiting the local people, seeing the sunset and the sunrise. And the most important was our Indian people team - guide Matthias Raymond, capiton and cooker. They all where incredible warm, open and friendly! The Amazon Boat trip was not only very interesting, but had a filosofic or even meditation meaning too. Thanks David Andrade (www.amazonbrazil-jungletours.com) who organized everything! Thanks nice host Aline from Lapa, thanks Sebastian Poch from Olinda! Thanks to all Brasil people!

20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 6, 2012

If your desire is to experience the Amazon (locals call it the Amazonas) River area of Brazil (local spelling is Brasil) I feel the Amazon Clipper Cruises offer the most comprehensive, informative and exciting tour available at a reasonable price. Specifically we chose the Clipper Premium which was quite comfortable with ample spaced rooms with two beds which could be pushed together as one large bed, spacious bathroom with stall shower and space for all your stuff. The food was excellent served buffet style; and the boat had ample deck space for viewing the flora and fauna. The 16-room ship accommodates a small group of 32 people while the excursion canoes holds 16 on comfortable bench seats with back supports – cushions are provided. The guides are local and extremely knowledgeable. While you can read about the daily activities on the Clipper internet site, much more is added during the trip and I will not go into details so as not to spoil the wonderful surprises in store for you during your adventure. Let me just say that this was a magical trip I will not soon forget.

43  Thank anglerted