“Falklands Pub”

Cuisines: British
Description: Traditional British pub, established 1946
Description: Traditional British pub, established 1946
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Great place to meet the real people of the Falklands (real Falkland Islanders), the serve good food all day long and until mid evening, fish/chips, steak/chips and so on, best nights are Wednesday's, Friday and Saturdays, good food good beer/wine and good people.

3  Thank Gerard F
There are newer reviews for Victory Bar

Reviewed November 13, 2012

I love this bar. History and atmosphere go hand in hand. Always friendly and sometimes lively but always worth a visit.

1  Thank Andrew G
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I thought the place resembled an old style pub, quite dark and well worn but clean. Prices were very good and the staff very friendly. Amazing grey cat that seems to own the place, sits on a bar stool eats crisps but never puts its hand in its pocket.

Reviewed March 26, 2012

Well you have to go to the Victory Bar don't you? It labels itself as a "creche for husbands" and is very much a traditional kind of old fashioned English Pub/bar. Sadly there's no draft beer, the nearest English ale brewery being a few thousand miles away, but they'll serve you decent bottled beer in a proper pint mug. The menu's rather old-pub basic BUT the fish'n'chips are excellent. Cooked fresh (so you'll have to wait 10 mins) in the kitchen out back by Mum, they'll be fresh, hot and very, very tasty. We had fillets of the local "grenadier" fish which Mum herself had caught on line off a local beach the day before. I can't guarantee it will always be like that (the weather WAS fabulous when we were there) but we certainly did well.

1  Thank DuncanMcAd
Reviewed January 29, 2012

The Victory Bar in Port Stanley, Falkland Islands (or the Malvinas, as they are called by Argentinians) is a really neat little British-style pub. The name celebrates the re-taking of the island group from Argentina in the war of 1982. Controversy continues as to which country owns the Islands. It seems every time Argentina goes through some civil and financial stress the government tries to rally the populous with war cries about taking back their beloved Isla Malvinas . The British interest (begining early 19th century) in the islands was, at first, to protect shipping lanes around Cape Horn and serve as a point of re-provisioning and ship repairs. After the Panama Canal was built, this was not the case anymore. Now that oil and gas exploitation has begun, the economic importance of this small protectorate is potentially significant. Tensions between Argentina and Great Britain will, no doubt, continue for generations to come.

The atmosphere of the pub is excellent. They serve a wide variety of bottled beers (nothing on tap) and liquor. Wall hanging are colorful, to say the least. This could be a very rowdy place, it seems to me.

My wife and I were visiting Port Stanley (the capitol of the Falkland Islands with a population of about 2000 souls) aboard a cruise ship in January, 2012. The reason we went to Victory Bar was on recommendation from a taxi driver who took us out to Gypsy Cove to visit a small colony of Magellanic penguins. We asked about where we should get a nice lunch. He proudly responded "Victory Bar, best place in the Islands". Well, he had a pretty substantial belly, so who were we to doubt his word.

We each ordered a different ale, Shepard Neamy, from Kent, England, both quite good. My wife ordered a curry dish for lunch and I went for the standard fish and chips. The Bar was pretty quiet when we arrived but began to get very busy with cruisers about 30 minutes afterwards. Our food was ready about one hour after we placed our order with the not-so-pleasant bar server who had a strange Eastern European accent. The process was to place your order with the barkeep and wait for your number to be called. Apparently the cook didn't understand number sequencing because most everyone got their food orders before we did.

My wife said her curry dish was pretty good ( I really don't know what that means), but my fish and chips was awful. The fish was very "fishy" tasting, like it had been out of the frig for several days. I couldn't get through but two bites, even though I was hungry. The chips were soggy (not at all crisp like good British chips) and tasted as though they were fried in rancid oil. All things considered, this was not a good choice (for us, in any case) for a lunch place. So much for trusting a guy with a big belly!

All that said, Victory Bar is a neat little pub where I can picture the locals (wonderful people, by the way) sitting around the bar, pint in hand, having a good laugh at all the tourists who laid their money down. I would definitely go back to Victory Bar, but certainly not for the food.

One particularly interesting tidbit...in the men's room (hey, how many reviews do you ever see about men's rooms?) there's a brown toilet seat hung on the wall near the wash basin. Thinking it might be a mirror I flipped it open to discover the picture of some Argentine military man who expired in 2003. Below the picture is the inscription "Burn in hell, you rotten bas...". Yes, I would say emotions continue to run deep between the British Falklanders and the Argentinians.

4  Thank tourpro1