“A highlight of our Antarctic cruise!”

Adventure Falklands
Ranked #2 of 5 Tours in Stanley
Reviewed January 26, 2012

We took this excursion on Christmas Day when our cruise ship called at Port Stanley. 25 vehicles with a driver and 4 passengers each took off in 3 groups of 8-10 across the rough terrain to Volunteer Point. Our driver was excellent, a third generation Falklander, and we much enjoyed chatting with him about life and politics on the islands. It takes 2+ hours to reach the penguins so be prepared to be jolted around. (My husband and I are in our 70s and 80s and didn't mind a bit!). Nowhere else in Antarctica will you see 3 kinds of penguins including the majestic Kings. We had an hour or so to walk among the penguins, take lots of pictures before it was time to gather for a lunch of delicious sandwiches, beer, wine, coffee and homemade Christmas cake and the ride back.

4  Thank lingo2

Reviewed January 5, 2012

Ever since the conflict in 1982 I have wanted to visit this outlying region. The area is outstanding but Stanley, the capital, is disappointing. I'm not sure what I was expecting but it wasn't this. I was there for a week with friends from around the UK. The capital is geared to support day visitors from cruise ships but not for visitors staying longer (even though there is only one flight in and one flight out a week). I felt that tourists were being ripped off from the tourist agency (who didn't seem to want to help), car hire (minimum 4 days) and the bank (who charged more for exchanging to sterling than Falklands pound even though they have parity). All in all Port Stanley was disappointing. But the rest of the area is fabulous.

5  Thank OughtiJohn
Reviewed December 22, 2011

We had previously been to the Falklands and like many on our cruise ship purchased one of the tours while aboard ship. We went to those places the tourist go to on cruise ship tours and saw several penguins. On another trip we decided to see if there was a trip we might make that was close to Stanley. We purchased local transportation to the cove just about a mile or so from downtown Stanley. This time we decided to try something different. We went ashore early and found a driver with a Range Rover that advised he could take us off the beaten path to a cove where there were many penguins. The charge for the trip was an astonishing $80 for the tow os of. That was only 20% of the price being asked by the tour office abaord ship. We road on gravekl roads and thru thee laocked gates as we crossed a large ranch. We passed fensed off areas what warend of live land mines beign present fromt eh 1982 war with Argnetine. Once we got the the top of a ridge there were well over two hundred penguins and these guys were just a few feet from where we stood. There was just a rope on the ground which the driver ask us not to cross. He talked about the birds and explained their habits and their nesting grounds to us. We were on top of the world. No big groups of tourist around to disturb the penguins, no lines, just us in the wilderness. We left after observing the penguins for about 45 minutes. As we worked out way back to the main gravel highway we could see a long caravan of Range Rovers filled with the ship;s passengers ands making their way to the area where we had been. We were ahead of ll of them at a fraction of the price. One of the best days and experiences we have had in the Falklands. At Port Stanley there is a very large general store (groceries. clothing, liquor, etc.) that also has a neat little coffee shop and since it was cold and windy we went in to warm up. The people are all nice in nice and especially at this store. Our time was too short on the islands as we could have spent all day however had to return to the ship where we encountered another chapter in out adventure. The wind was blowing quite hard and tender service was suspended. Were we stranded on the Falklands? No that was not happen as the tender serve restarted and e headed for the ship only to learn that the winds were so strong we could not come along side the ship for the passengers to deboard. We tried for over an hour as we bobbed around in the tender and finally we approached the ship and a rope was thrown out snagging one of the hooks on the tender. It looks like we will still be having diner aboard the cruise ship---aw shucks----I wanted to return to Post Stanley.

12  Thank texaswillie
Reviewed February 1, 2011

My daughter & I visited the Falklands on Jan.02 2011 while on a fantastic cruise on the "HAL Veendam". The weather was nice, warm sun and beautiful sky - the only time I needed a jacket was while right at the shoreline as we watched the antics of the penguins on the sand and swimming & eating in the water.
We were amazed at the vast number of penguins there was in the different colonies, and the large area they cover. There were penguins of all ages & sizes: youngsters with all of their brown fuzz (they looked like overgrown Kiwi fruit), some looking a little raggedy, partly feathered out and part still covered with fuzz that looked like it was about to fall off; a good number of adults still nesting their eggs on their feet, standing still with their feathers concealing most of the egg. We saw one trying desperately to get the egg back on his/her feet while others who had lost an egg were trying to steal it. So many birds got involved that we never saw the outcome of that struggle - likely another lost egg.
A ranger told us that they were expecting a good hatching within the next couple of weeks. My daughter was busy taking countless pictures, but I enjoyed just watching & listening to those delightful little creatures. It truly was a wonderful day that I will remember forever, and a tour I greatly recommend to all

We'd read numerous recommendations for tours arranged with Patrick Watts in Stanley and booked our tour through him. The rather lengthy ride to the Point was a "good 'n bumpy" fun ride. At age 85 I'd been a bit apprehensive, but our driver, Stephen Poole, was great and I felt safe (and even comfortable) on what was a very enjoyable and informative part of our day.

Stephen was more than an excellent driver - he was a warm and friendly person with a good sense of humor. He spoke about life on the Falklands; history, education, health care, etc., and cheerfully answered the endless questions asked by his four passengers. Some of our questions triggered a memory, and we enjoyed his sharing of family activities, special occassions, local events, etc. He truly was a fountain of knowledge. Before our trip I knew almost nothing about the Falklands - they were just small dots on maps of South America. Thanks to Stephen they now are a place of special interest that I like to dream about visiting again "someday". I enjoyed every moment of our tour.

Upon returning to our ship I realized that my "little black case" with credit card, cash, driver's license, copy of passport,etc. was missing. My daughter was about to send a message to Patrick, but found that he had aready sent an email to her. Stephen had found my case in his vehicle and turned it in. Patrick packaged and mailed it to my home in California, USA. (from Falklands to London to California). It arrived shortly after my return, with everything safely inside!!

How fortunate I was that it wasn't found by someone less honest than Stephen and Patrick. That could have been a very expensive experience for me. I was even more impressed when Patrick declined my offer to reimburse him for going to all the trouble on my behalf. Patrick and Stephen are two fine gentlemen and contributed so much to my good memories of that very special day.

I definitely would recommend Patrick Wells tour service to anyone planning to visit the Falklands. He handles things in a very friendly,efficient and professional manner, and I can attest to the honesty of him and his driver. To make it even better, the cost of our tour was much less than the same tour through the ship's
shore excursions service would have been. Needless to say, my daughter & I were very happy travelers after enjoying a wonderful day at the Falklands - we just wished we could stay longer.......

I do have Patrick's email address if it would be of help to anyone.

34  Thank Gmairene
Reviewed January 30, 2011

The city of Stanely is small and charming and its residents are delightful. For us, the Penguins were the real thrill in the Falklands.

Check out Falkland Adventures with Patrick Watts. His tours are excellent and everyone in Port Stanley seems to know him and like him. We went to Volunteer Point with his team and had the opportunity to visit King, Gentoo and Magellenic penguins on a beautiful beach. We had spectacular weather and loved every minute of this trip. If you are in any way “fragile” please note that there is an aggressive 2 hour ride off road to get to this beach and another for the return trip.

8  Thank Consultantgal