“What a location”
Review of Darwin House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in East Falkland
Darwin House
London
“What a location”
Reviewed February 8, 2012

We had a great time at Darwin House. The location is amazing and our hosts gave us a very interesting introduction and history of the area - the Colonal H memorial is just 10 minutes from the house. The house is surrounded by wildlife with Shags nesting outside, it is also a short walk to Goose Green.

The food was very good and I found the hosts very welcoming (they even baked me a birthday cake).

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Graeme W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Bloomfield, IN
Reviewed October 30, 2011

I enjoyed some incredible moments in the Falkland Islands, but my stay in Darwin had to be one of the best memories of my trip. The settlement and the house made me feel so relaxed, I was sad to have to leave. The set-up of the house made it very easy to make friends with the other guests, and with the Fiona and Graham (the managers) themselves. The conservatory is very relaxing, as are the walks around the settlement. Just within walking distance their is the wonderful scenery of Choiseul Sound, the stone Gaucho Corral from the 1800s, the old settlement cemetery, a plenty of old 'relics' everywhere you turn. Local Darwin resident Ken Greenland was the perfect guide to show you all the things that you could easily miss such as the old Argentine bunkers dotting the landscape. He brought the place alive. I especially enjoyed the walk along the coast from Darwin to Goose Green (minefield included). When I get the oppotunity to return, a stay at the Darwin House will be a must. I can only hope that Fiona, Graham, Ken, and Pete (another local Darwin resident) are all still there, because I cannot imagine the place without them. If you want a place to feel at home, this is the place.
-Jamey (visit was in February 2011)

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Jamey J
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Stayed here for just one night full board and were met on arrival with more cake, tea and coffee than we could eat in a week. Large portions of home-cooked food continued to be the theme of the stay. We were made to feel very welcome and had a big room with a jacuzzi bath. There was a small power cut - which we were warned would happen. This kind of thing is standard throughout the Falkland Islands - it's not quite civilisation as we in Europe know it. This is not a criticism, but after reading some of the reviews, I feel it prudent to give a warning of what to expect of the Falklands in general.

Rates are not cheap but are comparable to the rest of the Falkland Islands, and service, room and food here is notably better than some similar priced places in Port Stanley.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank specialpenguin
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 15, 2011

I could not discourage people from staying here enough! I had a wonderful trip to the Falklands with amazing experiences, unfortunately I cannot count my experience at Darwin House among them. My problems with this establishment began when I made a reservation, and, like a fool, paid for the reservation before I actually stayed here (fyi rates are very expensive compared to comparable lodging in the Falklands). My plans changed and when I needed to cancel my reservation (well in advance of the date) they told me they were keeping 100% of my money.
My need to return home unexpectedly meant that I had to cancel or alter other reservations. No other establishment even asked for a cancellation fee. What makes it worse is that Darwin House has no written or available cancellation policy. Not only did they keep all of my money, I later found out they double booked part of my time. I was told they were keeping my money because my cancellation had cost them other business, which turned out to be bogus. Stay here at your own risk and know that you may be subject to such arbitrary and, in my opinion, predatory "service" like I received. How else to describe a hotel that has kept nearly $600 of my money when my cancellation violated no policy and apparently cost them no business?
There are a wealth of wonderful lodging options in the Falklands - THIS IS NOT ONE OF THEM!!!!! Expect the customer service of a corporate chain and rudeness to boot!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
8 Thank BostonBotany
DarwinHouse, Owner at Darwin House, responded to this review, April 22, 2011
This reviewer made a booking and paid a deposit to a travel agency that has a clearly stated cancellation policy. When he cancelled his tour the agency applied this policy to funds that they held. We know that the reviewer is furious that his funds were retained but this is a contractual issue between him and his travel agent. This has been explained to him previously in email correspondence. He has asked us for cash in exchange for withdrawing his review. To correct some of the points made: we did not double book the reviewer's room; our rates are comparable to other similar establishments in the Falkland Islands; we have a cancellation policy that applies to bookings made directly with us. To visit the Falkland Islands is an amazing experience and can be done safely and with confidence in the local tourism businesses and accommodation providers.
Vina del Mar, Chile
Reviewed December 14, 2010

My husband and I spent a week in the Falklands Islands and our last two nights were at Darwin House, currently being run by Fiona and Graham Didlick. The accommodation was fantastic - clean, comfortable and cosy - it felt like home. We ate very well, all Fiona's home cooking, plus tea and cookies, squares and tarts every time we came in from our excursions. The only tiny improvement would be a softer bed :) We are already planning to return to the Falklands for longer as we felt we didn't get to see everything the Islands have to offer. The wildlife was amazing, and everyone we met was warm and friendly.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank HilaryMay
London
Reviewed November 30, 2007

This is a wonderfully run guest house in a beautiful setting overlooking an inlet in a sketch book version of heathland that could be mistaken for the finest part of the North Yorkshire moors. Wild birds and sheep abound.

The hosts at Darwin are Ken and Bonnie Greenland who deserve special praise for their sublime hospitality. Through their obvious commitment and hard work they make you feel as if you were in your own home. Bonnies cooking is simply spectacular, the roast lamb and pot roast fillet of beef with fresh horseradish the best I’ve ever tasted. The bacon sandwiches at breakfast take you back in time!

A stones throw from the 2 Para memorial and the gully (also with memorial) where Colonel H Jones won his Victoria Cross. Also very close is a flag pole made from one of the masts of the SS Great Britain, a large circular dry-stone cattle pen and for the adventurous a nine hole gold course.

• Liked — The hosts and their hospitality
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2007
    • Check in / front desk

Been to Darwin House? Share your experiences!