“Beautiful vistas...trip too long”

Ranked #4,149 of 3,862 things to do in Argentina
Ottawa, Canada
75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Beautiful vistas...trip too long”
Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I took this trip as a way to transit from Bariloche to Puerto Montt. We thought it would be wonderful to see the sights from a lake perspective. We were both right and wrong.

The trip involves both boat and bus travel and does afford beautiful views...but we had just spent 5 days in Bariloche where we had seen many similar, beautiful vistas. While the boat rides were interesting and gave close up views of volcanos and other sights we both agreed that this trip was overkill!! In addition a three hour stop half way into the trip was uninteresting. It was this length to allow for lunch and then helicopter tours of a nearby volcano. One tip...as the trip includes border crossing into Chile...bring no nuts, seeds, fruits or cheese with you. Chile is very strict about these items and thoroughly searched every bag of every passenger on board. Lunch can be purchased at one of two restaurants...or bring prepackaged snacks which do not contain these foods.

The one very interesting stop on the overall trip was given short shrift... this was a beautiful waterfall near the end of the trip. We were given 30 minutes...20 of which we needed to pay the not-included admission fee and to get to the site itself.

The entire trip took 7 hours...to go a relatively short distance.

Overall I was disappointed. This would be a good option for those who do not have time to explore the beauty of Bariloche...but for those that have...take a much less expensive and quicker bus and explore Puerto Varas instead.

8 Thank wprincess4

Stockholm, Sweden
83 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Make sure you do both ways, Puerto Montt - Bariloche roundtrip!”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Great views if weather is nice. But you will only be lucky in one out of three days. The rest is rain and low clouds.
You need two days if going by boat and bus. Overnight in Peulla. The new Natura hotel is ok for one night but groups are better taken care of.
Going back to Puerto Montt / Puerto Varas by car is preferred. Fantastic views of the Osorno volcano with its perfect cone. And visting the small town of Frutilla with its german heritage.

Visited February 2013
3 Thank Olle A
Bethesda, Maryland
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“AVOID TAKING THIS TRIP; MY LUGGAGE WAS RANSACKED AND ITEMS STOLEN!”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

On January 25, my small tour group took this tour boat and bus trip from Bariloche to Puerto Varas.Cruce Andino employees who had carried my wife's and my luggage from Bariloche returned my suitcase to me at the Chilean customs facillity for clearance by the authorities there. I immediately noticed that two of my TSA-approved locks, both of which which I had locked before the trip, were missing!

After the Chilean customs folks had inspected the contents in my presense and returned my suitcase to me, I discovered that, in addition to the two locks, two pairs of travel pants were missing. Perhaps even more seriously, the thugs who opened my suitcase may well have used illegally-obtained TSA keys to open the locks. (My wife's luggage, fortunately, was not looted.)

Our tour guide contacted Cruce Andino to advise them of this breach. She did not hear back from them, nor did they offer me any compensation for my loss.

I would strongly advise avoiding this trip!

Visited January 2013
4 Thank Gene E
Geneva
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“The best way (but not cheapest) to go from Puerto Varas / Puerto Montt to Bariloche.”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We wanted to go to Bariloche, but we did hesitate a lot about this boat / but trip because it is really expensive (280 dollars one way for foreigners) but it's was really a great trip and we didn't regret it. The longest part of the trip is made by bus and not by boat, but the boat's part are really spectacular.
We choosed to make the trip in one day, but I would definitely recommend to do it in 2 days and stay one night in Peulla since Peulla is really a beautiful place. Peulla is located inb the middle os the oldest Chilean's national park and seems like the lost world. There are many paths you can take to visit the forest and enjoy the wildness and beauty of the place, and theres are many excursions organized too if you want to fish, do horse riding, ect...
I can't say it worth it because I think the price is really exagerated, but if you can afford it it definitely worth it. There is a stop at Petrohue waterfalls, and the guide's explanations about the volcanos and lakes are really interesting.
However, I do advise to bring snacks and lunch with you as the restaurant in Peulla is really expensive and the food in the boats too.

Visited February 2013
8 Thank chloemaz
Ledbury, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“If the weather is clear, don't hesitate”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

We took a while to decide to book this. It was recommended by a friend but the 280 USD price tag (each) took us by surprise, we would def not usually consider spending this much! However, the weather forecast showed a promising day of sun, so we went for it. Now we have done it, I whole heatedly recommend it. There seems very few places in the world that are left untouched by man, but this is one of them and as you sail over the incredible green second lake, Lago Todos Los Santos, you really feel privileged to be able to be there and thankful it has not been turned into a tourist hell hole like so many beautiful places. I read on someone else's review that this route needs more competition to force them to lower their prices and yes the price is very expensive, but in a way I am glad there is just one company doing this trip and so not hordes of tourists on a hundred boats crowding this beautiful part of the world. Also, you can kind of appreciate why it is so pricey, it is seamlessly organised especially if you have big luggage like we did and I was impressed by the quality of all the boats and buses (I know that might sound rubbish but it is important since the trip takes around 10 hours)

Yes it is a long day but actually it was a nice pace along the route with plenty of time to relax. I would recommend also having lunch at the hotel lunch stop, it was only about 15 USD for a meal and the hotel is really nice (ignore the suggestions not to bother, you have already splashed out on a once in a lifetime excursion, it's not worth cutting back now). We took a little snack to eat before we left Argentina as lunch is quite late.

Puertohue looked stunning and I would quite liked to have stayed there but it was a bit beyond our budget but instead we stayed for 2 night in Puerto Varas which is a great town and everything that Bariloche is not.

One final tip, I wouldn't do this trip if the weather forecast is bad. The beauty is in being able see the stunning scenery and stand outside in top of the boat decks. It was sunny but pretty cold when we went but would be a waste of money if it was cloudy, grey and raining.

Visited December 2012