“Ok, at best”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 3, 2011

Best thing about this place was that it was quick, and not just in service but in how quickly the food was prepared and served (which may explain why it was only so-so in terms of quality, or perhaps it was worth what you paid for it, which wasn't all that much). So, go there to fill yourself up with some good comfort food. And don't expect much atmosphere.

There are newer reviews for Jack's Place Restaurant

Reviewed August 12, 2011

I had written about JP before & my latest mission was to try out the new outlet in nex. Although i tried to be hospitable & friendly toward the waiting staff, new recruits, managers & supervisors, the juniors appreciated such encouraging gestures but not from the seniors. Having patronising there for 12 times since its inception end of last year, i find the seniors just don't know how to build rapport with loyal clients or diners. To them, its just another number to add into their profit and loss. Unlike good retaurants who treasure their precious clientele, the retention is always higher than previous years. I feel JP has a yaya papaya attitude which i reckon must have flowed down from the management. Dining is notjust about fresh ingredients used, delicious food to impact memory, efficient services but also about making repeat customers feek they belong to the organisation. Unfortunately, through the years since 1990 till todate, this coldness from senior staff has grown stronger everytime I brought my family to dine there. The old guards seem to appreciate & protect rapport with customers through their warmth & genuine frienships, not these current generation of managers & supervisors except the team under Mr Toon's (@ AMK branch) leadership & mentorship. I reckon once my card expires, i would loathe to continue becoming a member but abort this 20 long years of supporting, advertising & promoting JP. Too bad, they just don't know how to treasure loyal & supportive clientele.

Reviewed June 15, 2011

Jack's Place used to be my favorite restaurant when I was growing up with decent steaks at affordable prices, especially their lunch specials. But it not what it used to be.

A few months ago, my friend and I decided to meet for lunch at the Jack's Place at Compasspoint. We each ordered a set lunch and were served the garlic bread and soup. The soup seemed watered down and the portion reduced, but what was really shocking was when my friend lifted her garlic bread, she saw dried ketchup stain on the napkin lining the bread basket. It is clear that they are re-using their basket lining. What's worse is, the staff can't even be bothered to QC the stuff that they recycle. The stain wasn't small and it was dired, which means it has been around for quite a while. I took a photo of it, maybe I'll upload it when I find time to do it.

We feedback this to one of the staff, she acknowledged and offered to change the basket for us, but no apology whatsoever. I don't know if the service standard is better in the evenings when patrons order from the ala carte menu, but I don't think there should be any distinction. Overall, the standard of the food is also not what I remembered it to be. I would say that western food at hawker centres are far better in quality and value for money. I definitely wouldn't be going back.

1  Thank divermel
Reviewed January 5, 2011

Three of us went for lunch but only wanted light lunch. Ordered chicken soup and onion soup and a sandwich. Could not believe when we got soup in the tiny bowls that the set lunch soup was served in, there were about six spoons of soup in the bowl, for 4.50 dollars????? And a tiny thin slice of garlic bread each. The onion soup was ok, the chicken soup was just horrible. It was very thick and pasty with a strong flavour of flour to thicken it, did not taste of chicken was very weird with bits of dried up roast chicken floating on the top. The sandwich was ok but after waiting twenty mins for it it wasn't worth it. The drinks were more ice than ice lemon tea. Serivce was poor, really not worth a visit.

1  Thank familyplus
Reviewed May 11, 2009

I've brought my family, colleagues & frens to every JP branch since 1990 when I 1st arrived Spore. My 1st was at behind AA Centre, then I ventured into trying every one from furthest north to east to west & all in between. Their services have deteriorated through the years. It all depends on your luck of the branch you visit, you get good managers it's lucky, if not, you better get out from there. It's the type of staff who make or break your dining experience. So far, those I highly recommended are Mr Soo (WC), Mr Toon (AMK), Mr Heng, Ms Julie (a Penangite), Ben (colored hair), Sham (Gurmit's cousin). Those I avoided are at Bugis Junction, Great World, Bras Basah, Simei, BP, etc. Good thing abt JP is it's budget steak with a good improved ambience. Both my girls lurv JP's escargot, prefer these to Tavern's ones (my best restaurant). From been afraid of the snails now each girl whacks 12 snails & still not enough. For steaks, at times they are tough & fibrous while most time they are good. Dun go for the premium US cuts, they are just so-so for the hefty value tagged on them. Better dine Tavern, value for money. The seafood basket is pathetic & not worth it. Go for the steaks only. Our usual orders are mango prawn salad, escargot, lobster bisque or mushroom soup, garlic bread & sizzling sirloin steaks, medium rare. I would have written better compliments if not for the attitude of the management. Unlike Mr Poh of The Tavern, JP's management side their own people even if they were wrong, rude & didn't fulfil their promotion promises. I felt jitled after having supported JP for the last 20 years. If they dun pull up their socks to hear feedbacks from genuine & caring customers, they may struggle to compete with those which give their ears to further improve their standards to higher grounds, like The Tavern did.