“Probable racist chef-owner refused to serve me water with my pizza”

Trattoria Lafiandra
Ranked #481 of 11,470 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed May 14, 2014

My wife and I went there after a film at SAM. My wife is African American, I am Anglo-Chinese. We ordered a pizza, two desserts and a drink, but when I tried to order plain tap water, the waitress insisted i order sparking imported water. I referred to the fact that everyone else in the restaurant was drinking regular Singapore tap water. After some back and forth I said if I can't have water with my pizza I would have to leave. She asked the chef who told us to get out and made an aggressive gesture of dismissal. I don't fully understand Italian hand gestures, but there is no doubt it was highly disrespectful.

What makes me think this was motivated by racism was the fact that everyone else in the restaurant (all white or Asian) had water, much of which was tap water.

When my wife confronted Chef Cataldo, he couldn't make eye contact with her and blurted out something about how he couldn't afford to wash water glasses. He complained that this was because the Singapore government (MOM) had refused to let him hire foreign dishwashers. However, I think the disrespectful way he treated us is likely due to his racism.

I haven't commented on the food or value since we never got to eat our meal.

5  Thank alanfowlerfeng

Reviewed April 13, 2014

As a quite frequent visitor to Singapore this is one of my regular haunts, Pasta Vongole, Lamb Cutlets needing fingers to eat them :) Good quality wine simple but attractive venue - there are a couple of tables outside with a great romantic setting (as long as you do not mind the humidity.
Want a change of flavor more European, this is it

2  Thank summerlea45
Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

In my opinion definitely the best pizza in town.

Combine this with a great setting and very efficient and friendly staff, as well as an extensive wine list, you find plenty of reasons to keep coming back.

I can't say much about the rest of the food, as one is compelled to always have pizza ;)

Definitely worth the trip and a detour !

10  Thank Isselerhof
Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

And the black n blue 1.5kg côte de bœuf wasn't bad either.

My first time to this modest trattoria, set inside a lovely and historic building on bras basah road.

We had a fantastic meal from start (Campari/vermouth/soda aka Americano) to finish (Amarone grappa aka serious headache the next day).

Service was thorough and polite.

Ambiance could be better but I just love the building it's situated in (Singapore arts museum).

Reviewed March 9, 2014

We ate at this wonderful trattoria twice during our stay in Singapore and were not disappointed on either occasion. The food is delicious and the menu sufficiently varied to suit both our tastes. The wine is perhaps a little expensive but again no complaints on palate or quality. The trattoria itself is located in an old colonial building next to the Museum of the Arts and the setting complimented the meal as all to often in Singapore modern overwhelms traditional so this was a most welcome and refreshing alternative. The ambience was excellent.The service was friendly and attentive clearly aimed at customer satisfaction and in every way Trattoria Lafiandra achieved this. Highly recommended.