“Excellent Peranakan Food”

Ranked #380 of 11,280 Restaurants in Singapore
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed April 17, 2013

This is a small restaurant in a two-level building from the early 20th C. The cuisine is Peranakan which means based on the original Malay inhabitants. The food is exquisitely prepared and gently presented. Try anything or everything.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

This was a lovely restaurant, the food was served warm, was tasty. The desserts were a little too authentic. I will return!

Reviewed March 17, 2013

My Singaporean colleague took us to this restaurant on our first night in the city. She wanted to introduce us to the food from the culture she was raised in...Chinese-Malay. The meal was pretty good, but I can't remember any of the dishes specifically...they were all very new to me! I wasn't "blown away" by this restaurant, but there was nothing remarkable either. Might not be my first choice should I return to Singapore.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

My local colleagues in Singapore have told me over the years that there are only a handful of restaurants in town where you can experience what was the original cuisine of Singapore – and that perhaps the best was The Blue Ginger restaurant.

The food is from a culture that was/is called the Peranakan – a blend of Chinese and Malay. So, you get some dishes that can be spicy and loaded with many flavors.

I began with the duck salad. The dish had four slices of smoked duck that was very flavorful and tender, rested on a bed of greens that included bean sprouts. The other greens I couldn’t identify but they had a slightly tart taste. Al topped with a tangy sauce.

I asked my waiter what was a classic dish – he said the Ayam Panggand “blue ginger.” This was chicken from the thigh and drumstick that was deboned and smothered in a thick sauce of coconut milk with a variety of spices, including a little pepper. Incredible. The waiter was extremely helpful.

There is a very limited wine list by the glass. But you get over that when the first dish arrives and you are thinking about the flavors on the plate, not the winde in the glass.

I haven’t tried the other Peranakan restaurants but not sure I need to try them. This one is a keeper.

5  Thank Ricky R
Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

The food was tasty but the service was terribly slow and therecwas no wine selection. Overall less than average. If ihad to choose I would not go to this restaurant to experience Singapore