“Service was very slow.”

Neighborhood: Orchard Road
Singapore
“Service was very slow.”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I revisited this restaurant with my husband on Valentine's Day. I called in to make a reservation, but was told that they don't take reservations for the day, as it is first come first served.

Probably due to the special occasion, the restaurant was very full. We managed to get a table. However, the waiters were too busy. They gave us bread, without the butter, until my husband reminded one of the waiters.

We ordered the usual dishes- the Borsch soup, the half dozen escargot, half dozen oyster, the shashlik beef, and the baked Alaska. We haven't been to the restaurant for more than 2 years and were quite shocked that they have changed the portion of the Borsche soup from a bigger portion to a much smaller bowl. Also, it took 20 minutes to 30 minutes for each dish to be served. So we figured out that we might not go back to this restaurant on another special occasion.

My rating is more to do with the service of that night, and not the quality of the food though.

Also, the e-mail address of their website is an invalid one. I tried sending them an e-mail for the reservation, but it bounced back to me as failed attempt. :(

Our total bill had also increased. Probably we are not aware that they raised their prices, since we have not been to this restaurant for a long time. The last time we were there was on the X'Mas Eve of 2010.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank singaporeguest2009

Singapore, null, Singapore
“My last visit to Shashlik Restaurant”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Unfriendly, rude staff, reduced portions and quality of food, increased pricing probably sum up my latest dining experience at Shashlik. I will miss the buns, Shashlik beef, and Borsch soup. Good bye Shashlik! You have successfully managed to destroy the very good name you worked so hard to achieve.

• Visited December 2012
7 Thank FoodieTravellerFrSG
Singapore
“Good shashlik”
Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

Have been to this restaurant for a long long time. My parents used to bring us here when we were still kids. It's quite a wonder that this restaurant is still around. The food is good. The beef shashlik is well cooked and succulent. The chicken and lamb shashlik are also very well cooked. The escargot standard can vary quite a bit, from nice tender to rubbery.. So really depend on the chef.
The waiters and waitresses were old hainanese uncles and aunties. Not the friendliest, but can get the job done. So since I was young, some of the staff were already there. There are now younger staff.. Better service and definitely more friendly.
The decor in the restaurant is quite dated, but well it gives me a homely feeling.. Since it brings back nostalgic memory of childhood, there with my parents.
A place to go for the shashlik, and to experience the old school services..

1 Thank LTJ71
“Food was gooooooood.”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

My boyfriend & I went with 2 others to Shashlik. I've never had such good Russian cuisine in Singapore. Since we were raring to try something new, we decided to see if this restaurant was really as good as the reviews said. We were impressed.

We filled our tummies with the Borsch soup, Shashlik, Baked Alaska & Irish Coffee. The soup was savoury & thick with pieces of beef, Shashlik was tender & uber juicy. The Baked Alaska was made in front of us & served after our waiter divided them into 4 shares. The Irish Coffee really packed a punch.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Lainee-XQL
“First Visit!”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

It was a birthday dinner celebration for my boyfriend, with his mum, sister and a good friend of his plus galfriend.

His sister had earlier made a reservation which was a good thing because i noticed the restaurant was crowded, despite being located in a quite ulu (deserted) shopping mall.

We had escargots, salmon, pork chop, shashlik beef, fish and chips, sirloin and rainbow trout.
Portion of the mains were decent, but the salmon and fish were alittle too salty. Pork chop is tasty but the patty could be slightly thicker as we found it quite thin. The shashlik beef was nice nice and tender though.

No complaints on the service, but some of the service staffs are getting on years, hence you'll can't expect them to come to you very quickly etc.

We also ordered desserts like Cherry Jubliee and some others.. it was quite a sight watching the waiter preparing the cherry jubilee as the waiter is literally flaming up the dessert right before your eyes. While it was fanciful and quite a show, the dessert is nothing more than two very sweet scoops of vanilla ice creams and some cherries. Expensive dessert i would think.

You may want to carry with you a dry shampoo or perfume to rid the food smell once you leave the restaurant.

Nice ambience though.. anostalgia feeling once you step in. I may consider going back for a second visit when i'm feeling nostalgic and alittle rich.

• Visited November 2012