“In their prime!”

Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Orchard Road
Reviewed August 30, 2014

Took my son here to celebrate his new job and hang out together plus give Lawry's a trial run. Walked past it so many times and wondering what the fuss was about. Having made a reservation and circumstantially arriving late,we were greeted amiably by the staff and led to our table in a restaurant with decor reminiscent of the Tanglin Club i.e all the areas named after iconic Singapore landmarks but essentially all browns,beiges and dark wood........very retro and a throwback to the 60's at best. Clean and bright but more like a movie set I thought. Staff attired in uniforms more akin to tea rooms than a steak restaurant but again very friendly and welcoming,except I must say for the 'Chef' who when arriving at our table gave a perfunctory bored wave over his shoulder as he was introduced. Not a show stopper but at these prices not what you expect. The food itself or should I say the steaks looked superb and we opted for the Lawry's Prime Cut and we both agreed this was simply fantastic being perfectly cooked,slightly rare and as tender as you could wish for. The 'sides' however were a different story with everything being reduced to a pulp and not very appealing at that so creamed corn/potatoes/spinach which other than the prime rib,together conspired to make this like food for the toothless. Not a single crunchy firm vegetable in sight or on offer..........very poor Lawry's. The salad starter was poor,limp brown edged lettuce and a gloopy sauce all spun in some manic tabletop tumble dryer,an inauspicious start. The portions were generous so we skipped on deserts and got our bill which was frankly 'steep' but on balance worth it for trying out an institution.Recommended for meat lovers only.

1  Thank johnnylavaBeijing
LawrySingapore, Public Relations Manager at Lawry's The Prime Rib, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2014

Dear johnnylavaBeijing,

Thank you for choosing Lawry’s to celebrate your son’s new job and congratulations to him!
We are delighted that you enjoyed our Signature Prime Ribs and we appreciate your pointing out of our co-workers’ friendliness.

We’re sorry if our Chef came across as bored while serving you and your family, it is not a usual characteristic of any of our Chefs. With regards to the side dishes, our creamed Corn, creamed Spinach and mashed Potatoes are indeed not what you would wish for if you prefer something crunchy. We would recommend either selection(s) of our buttered Peas, sautéed Onions, Mushroom sizzler or the Idaho baked Potato for a firmer chew.

We also regret to hear that you did not enjoy our Spinning Bowl Salad showmanship which is one of our long-held traditions since 1938.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write us this review and we look forward to serving you in the coming months.

There are newer reviews for Lawry's The Prime Rib

Reviewed August 28, 2014

First time in this place even it has been in business for a long while.
Very nice and friendly staff guided us to the seats by the glass window and assisted us with our food order. The spinning salad was interesting.. the food is nice but waiting time was slightly a little long. Perhaps you really need to wait for good food.
Was lucky that there's a planned trip to eat here and I also got a voucher during this period, got to try the like prime ribs they have.

1  Thank PrincessYue
LawrySingapore, Public Relations Manager at Lawry's The Prime Rib, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2014

Dear PrincessYue,

Thank you for your comments and appreciation of our food and service which indeed has been the same, if not improved since 1938. We are delighted that you enjoy the spinning bowl salad showmanship!

Your comment on our service speed is noted and I will certainly be sharing this with my team. We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

We hope to see you and your family again soon!

Reviewed August 9, 2014

Just got back from Lawry's, service excellent and on the whole the food was good.

The spinning salad is fun to watch & as most reviewers say it's still a basic salad.

I ordered fillet mignon & asked for well done & it was explained that I would have to wait 30 mins which was ok by us, my husband ordered the Prime Rib dinner which is cut & served at the table by a chef from a continuously 'roaming hot trolley' ie already cooked,

My steak arrived promptly but surprisingly we had to wait for my husbands meal which meant mine was going cold, my husbands was eventually served but as he asked for a medium cooked steak he was sliced a piece from the end of the cut which was by then lukewarm.

Having said that my steak was beautiful & my husbands Yorkshire pudding was great too.

Wine very expensive.

1  Thank Jill1056
LawrySingapore, Public Relations Manager at Lawry's The Prime Rib, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2014

Dear Jill1056,

Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback here. We are glad that you enjoyed our food, The Famous Spinning Bowl Salad service and overall dining experience during your visit.

We are very sorry regarding the service delay for your husband’s Roasted Prime Rib order. Our management team have since reviewed our coordination protocols to prevent such inconvenience from happening to our guests again. Please be assured that we are constantly reviewing our wine listing prices to keep our competitiveness in the business and we remain passionate in providing the best quality wines and gourmet cuisine to all our guests.

Thank you for choosing Lawry’s, our co-workers are looking forward to serve you and your family in the near future!

Reviewed August 2, 2014

Excellent services provided once we reached. They are very attentive and friendly. We have our celebration for my buddy birthday and we really enjoy it. It really worth every cent for the great food and service. Food really being cook just right and excellent and they even made some of it just beside our table. Really a sweet moment when my friend's child received a small soft toy from Lawry and when thee stuff comes out singing birthday songs, served the cakes and even take and present the birthday photo instantly. My wife especially enjoy it and we'll surely go back again and again.

1  Thank Miketwz
LawrySingapore, Public Relations Manager at Lawry's The Prime Rib, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2014

Greetings from Lawry's Singapore, Miketwz!

Thank you for your review and for celebrating your buddy's birthday with us! We are glad that you pointed out the special arrangements for every birthday celebrations at Lawry's as well as the soft mascot toy for children :)

Your wonderful compliments for our cuisine and service quality have surely brightened our day and motivated the entire team to further enhance our efforts in providing our guests' with world-class dining experience!

We sincerely appreciate your continuous support and we are looking forward to welcome your good-self, your family and esteemed guests in the near future!

Reviewed July 22, 2014

My husband and I visit Singapore in July 2014. We had dinner at Lawry's The Prime Rib in Singapore. The food & service was excellent. I was totally impressed with the atmosphere! We will return! Our waitress Diana was great! And the Assistant General Manager came to our table and greeted us!

2  Thank cblack2014
LawrySingapore, Public Relations Manager at Lawry's The Prime Rib, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2014

Thank you for your lovely review, cblack2014!

We are thrilled to hear that you and your husband had a wonderful dining experience at Lawry’s Singapore. I am glad to know that our server Diana and Assistant General Manager Mr. Ariff had contributed to making your dining experience a more comfortable one.

We look forward to welcoming you and your loved ones back soon to experience the best prime rib in the world!