“Great food & amazing service”

Lawry's The Prime Rib
Ranked #42 of 10,681 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Orchard Road
Singapore
“Great food & amazing service”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I was at Lawry's for tea a few months ago with some family members and we enjoyed the food and remarkable service. The quality of food was truly value for money.
I was there again today (5/2/14) to celebrate a friend's birthday and truly pleased to experience the same impeccable service that is almost extinct in most restaurants nowadays. The staff are very friendly and attentive which makes the dini...ng a lot more wondeful.
Love the food too. We had lobster, fish, pasta and of course the steak, all of which are very well done, especially the steak which is what the restaurant is famous for. We also had the mushrooms sizzle but the dish turned out to be a tad bit too dry.
At the end of the meal, the restaurant surprised us with a slice of cake for my birthday friend and the crews sang a birthday song for her.
Will definitely go back again

• Visited February 2014
LawrySingapore, Public Relations Manager at Lawry's The Prime Rib, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Annette1313,

Thank you for choosing Lawry’s as your preferred restaurant! We are delighted that you have enjoyed all your dining experiences with us. We have noted your comment on our Mushroom Sizzler and have notified our Executive Chef about it for future improvement.

Our team will always be looking forward to serve you and your guests in the near future!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Today is a different place from yesterday
“Worst service ever”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

I am a frequent diner at Lawry’s, and I often endorse it to friends and colleagues. The prime rib is exceptional and the service usually made an effort. HOWEVER I really need to write about what happened to me last Jan 30th, the eve of Chinese New Year, when I experienced what is probably one of the RUDEST wait-staff treatments I’ve ever had anywhere in my 30+ years of dining out.

The full story is a bit long but astounding.

My companion and I started dining late at 830pm, as per our reservation. They actually gave us a great table (it was not full). By mid-meal, there was just one other table left in the restaurant, apart from ours. I am guessing it was because it was eve of CNY. As we went through our food, we couldn’t help but feel we were being rushed, prompted several times whether it was fine to clear the table, even when there was still a lot of food on the plates. At one point, we were asked twice in a span of five minutes. It was just 9:47pm then, so I just had to ask what time the place was closing. Apparently, last order was 9:45pm, though no one had checked with us, and they said that closing time would be 11pm. Right after that, I heard the word “FASTER” spoken out loudly from somewhere across the room, from the direction of the other wait-staff. Closing was one hour away then, but despite that we still tried to finish up fast, since the rest of the staff was rushing around us and clearing up, with the loud clattering of utensils and glass so overtly disturbing. Here’s the real clincher. About a minute after we asked for the check, one of the wait-staff several meters away, hidden from our view, makes this mock-announcement so loud that it was audible throughout the entire empty restaurant: “Excuse me everyone, an announcement please, table 107 has asked for the check”. And then silence. At this point, I could not help it. I stood up, walked about twenty steps over to where they were standing, and took issue. I said that I “over-heard” the big announcement they just made (how could I not!) , and wanted to confirm whether they were indeed referring to us. I was definitely trying to suppress indignation now, and when they said yes I just had to suggest that perhaps I can help them by also announcing loudly once I’ve paid. That way, everyone can go home early. All I got then were embarrassed looks and a mad scrambling about. The manager who was now standing right beside me, tried to make small talk, but seemed not to understand what was going on. The person who made the loud announcement (Stephanie, if I recall her name correctly, though I am not certain now) just walked about and said nothing, as she handed me the bill for signing – no apologies or the sort. We finally signed the bill and walked out by 10pm. Our server tried to quietly hand me a discount voucher --- I handed it back. Some things just aren’t about money. I did receive one apology--- from one of wait-staff, one who did not seem to have been involved, but who recognized us from previous visits. But the damage was done, and our entire dining experience was a total loss.

No quality of food, no matter how good, and at whichever price, is ever worth going through that kind of treatment. All we wanted was a nice, special new year’s dinner, instead we got only stress, and indigestion, at a pricey expense. If they weren’t willing to serve customers that night, they should not have taken reservations, nor stayed open in the first place. Perhaps arrogance is getting the best of them.

My rating for this Lawry’s experience is a big and bold “NOT WORTH IT”. Until we hear differently again about their service, we will be exploring, and sharing, our experiences of the many other superb steak places in Singapore.

• Visited January 2014
4 Thank bootedfeet
LawrySingapore, General Manager at Lawry's The Prime Rib, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear bootedfeet,

Thank you for your review with regards to your dining experience. I would like to sincerely apologize on behalf of my servers regarding the unpleasant incident.

In response to your feedback, I have taken immediate action and personally counseled all our servers over this incident. We have since reviewed our communication protocols to prevent such incident from happening again.

I felt humbled during our tele-conversation yesterday and understand that my apology may not reverse your disappointment, but hope that they will in some way assure you of the level of quality we strive for.

We truly hope you give us another chance in serving you and your guests.

Mohd Ariff
Lawry’s The Prime Rib Singapore
Singapore
“Great Prime Rib, But too Showy and Discriminatory”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Visited with my 19-year-old son on January 28, 2014 at 12 noon. Perhaps we didn't have a prior reservation which was why we were given a table at a horrible location when most of the tables by the window were not occupied. This was near the Chinese New Year period and I don't envisage the place to be fully booked for lunch; anyway we sat down and expected the same good service from Lawry's such as the one we have experienced from our many visits to their previous venue at Paragon Orchard and we were not disappointed (other than being given a "lousy" table). The prime rib - we each ordered the second-largest cut, the Lawry cut - was as expected superbly delicious and tasted so good, the Yorkshire pudding was a great complement to the meat. Lawry's prides itself of its spinning salad, which in my opinion, is nothing but a showy presentation best reserved for impressionable rednecks from duck country, and does nothing to the salad. It was embarrassing to sit through it and watch the waitress doing her stuff with something we do much better ourselves at home, ie, putting together an edible, fresh, crisp, salad. One other thing: the bread came much later - "We're still baking it" we were told. Well. Don't restaurateurs prepare ahead of their opening at lunch? Or was it yet another showmanship stunt to convince clueless diners that each table's bread is being baked freshly and exclusively for that table? The shrimp cocktail was satisfying but we've eaten fresher, crunchier shrimps - this is one dish that Lawry's certainly must relook at - how far wrong can shrimp cocktail be? The trick is to use really, really fresh shrimps. Overall, an experience that was nice, except for the poor location of our table. And yes, the shrimps; oh, also please drop that act with the spinning salad. And since I'm on a roll, why clothe your waitresses that way? I mean, if the intention is to make them look at maids from the deep south of the cotton belt, at least don't use brown.

• Visited January 2014
LawrySingapore, Public Relations Manager at Lawry's The Prime Rib, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear chiamchao,

Thank you for taking time to write down this review. We are sorry to learn that the table assigned to you and your son was not up to expectation. Our guests' enjoyment throughout the meal is our priority hence it is unfortunate that by the time you reached our restaurant, all window seats are taken and some are already reserved in advance.

Our commitment is to serve the freshest food which explain why our chefs have insisted to freshly bake our homemade hard roll for each and every guest's enjoyment. We apologize that the baking time took longer than usual, please be assured that the quality of our hard roll was in no way comprised during the process. We also regret to hear that you did not enjoy our Spinning Bowl Salad showmanship which is one of our traditions that we proudly uphold since 1938. As for your comment on our Shrimp Cocktail, our Executive Chef has been notified about it for future improvement.

We are heartened to know that our Signature Roasted Prime Ribs of Beef and service are well received and we hope this incident will not deter you from visiting us again.

Looking forward to serve you and your family soon!

Singapore, Singapore
“terribly over-rated...”
Reviewed January 17, 2014

I only remember the waitresses were made to wear an awful outfit & the salad was impressive...all that effort just to marinate the vegetables!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank singlish_sg
LawrySingapore, Public Relations Manager at Lawry's The Prime Rib, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Thank you for your review, singlish_sg!

We regret to hear that you didn’t favour our server uniform. Just like our Roasted Prime Ribs of Beef, our server uniform is one of Lawry’s timeless signatures which we proudly uphold since 1938. Please be assured that we greatly value your feedback on this matter and we remain passionate in providing an excellent dining experience to all our guests.

We look forward to your return patronage soon!

Singapore, Singapore
“Excellent service, great western meal on New Year's Eve 2014”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We walked into the restaurant on 31 December 2013 at about 7pm and asked for a reservation. As expected, the restaurant was fully booked. However, they asked that we leave behind our name and contact number and if there were guests who did not turn up for their reservation, they would call us. True enough, we got a table that night.

The ambience is great. With servers wearing party hats, and the restaurant well decorated with New Year's mood, we felt excited. There were 8 different dishes for the dinner and a free bottle of nice-tasting champagne accompanied our dinner. The beef steak was simply awesome, I had it done medium-rare.

The servers were courteous. They were professionally in serving.

We had a memorable evening even if we were set back by S$200/pax that night.

We strongly recommend diners to try this restaurant even during normal evenings.

• Visited December 2013
LawrySingapore, Public Relations Manager at Lawry's The Prime Rib, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear sereneyew,

On behalf of the management, we would like to thank you for your marvelous compliments and your continuous support. We are delighted that our New Year Eve dishes and service were well received!

We have shared this great review with the entire team and we will be looking forward to serve you and your guests in the near future!