“Romantic atmosphere makes all occasions special”

Lawry's The Prime Rib
Ranked #42 of 10,681 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Orchard Road
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Romantic atmosphere makes all occasions special”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We had made a reservation at Lawry's for 8:30 pm, and we were shown to a romantic table for two in a corner with huge windows on either side. Lawry’s is on the fourth floor of Mandarin Gallery, so our table overlooked the pedestrians of busy Orchard Road and the huge H&M sign on the building across the street. We could see that there was a whole row of tables for two along the windows facing Orchard Road, so there is a good chance of getting a window table. The warm rolls were tasty. The server starts by asking if you want sparkling or still water, but you can order tap water which tastes the same to us as water from the bottles of Equil that they serve for SGD 7++. Their wine list was extensive enough so that we could order a glass of sweet late harvest wine that was very good. We felt that Lawry's does prime rib best, so we shared a tender and sweet Lowry's cut (285 gr) of prime rib, and they added an order of mashed potatoes to match the roast beef. It was swimming in juice which we soaked up with Yorkshire pudding. They served two kinds of horseradish. Although the portions filled us up, we could not resist ordering the crepes Suzette which was prepared on a cart next to our table. The lady used many oranges and a lemon. After she made the sauce and put the crepes on the plate, she added banana slices. We could not taste the alcohol that was flamed, and we didn’t feel the banana slices added to the flavor. Neither the sauce nor the crepes were the best we have tasted, but they were very good. The high point of the crepes Suzette was the vanilla ice cream on the side which was good and plentiful (often it is not). The staff were well trained and very helpful. Our servers all were very charming Filipinas. They graciously provided a 10% discount for guests of the Mandarin Orchard hotel, and another 5% for paying directly to Lowry's. That brought the price down to a reasonable level. We felt that the whole experience was excellent, and the food was very good.

• Visited September 2013
LawrySingapore, Public Relations Manager at Lawry's The Prime Rib, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Staidthere,

Thank you for sharing your kind comments with regards to your recent dining experience at Lawry’s Singapore. We are delighted that our Signature dishes and service are well received!

We will share your fabulous compliments with the entire team and we will be looking forward to serve you and your guests in the near future!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Orlando, Florida
“A reliable choice”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I wanted to go to Lawry's as it is a favorite of mine in the US and I haven't been in a few years. The menu was very similar to the one in the US with a few additions. Ambiance was great, food was great although I felt like portion sizes were smalerl than I was used to in the US.

Visited September 2013
Dear sgnjadb,

Thank you very much for your comments and appreciation of our food and service which indeed has been the same, if not improved since 1938.

We hope to see you and your guests soon!

Lawry's The Prime Rib Singapore
“No value for money..........”
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

We dropped in here last minute after a long day on Monday. The staff found us a table by the window and were very attentive. We looked at the menu and realised that it wasn't going to be a cheap 'Monday night meal'. That didn't bother us as we love our food and don't mind paying for great quality. This is sadly where the problem lies with Lawry's. The quality of the food didn't match the price or the expectations. My girlfriend ordered the Fillet Mignon and asked for it to be cooked rare. I expect any chef who puts steak on the menu to be able to cook it properly but understand that some people can get it wrong. However, when the price is $73 for it I expect it to be bang on. It wasn't. It was overlooked. It was still a lovely piece of beef but not worth the price. They had tried to make it showy in the way it was presented but infact looked a bit naff with one piece of carrot, a piece of lemon (no idea why) and a piece of broccoli all stuck on individual forks attached to a strange rack around the plate. I ordered the ribs which whilst tasty were again not mind blowing and didn't justify the the hefty price tag. The BBQ sauce was ok and I'm convinced the coleslaw was bought in and not freshly made. This is a restaurant that sells sides separately so unless you want just some meat you have to buy them to go with it. Or so we thought. My girlfriend ordered the baked potato to go with her steak and I ordered the same for my ribs as neither said they came with anything on the menu. Imagine my surprise when on my plate was a healthy portion of fries! I would have expected the staff to have pointed that out to me as I was ordering just in case I wasn't aware of it and didn't need to spend the extra $13. The potato was again ok but I didn't think it was properly cooked and was a bit lumpy. I also found having my food put in front of me and then having to watch two waitresses cut open our potatoes and put all the extras on it for us to be not only unnecessary but in fact a pain as we were hungry and our food was going cold in front of us.

We will not be returning here and would urge others to seriously reconsider if they are thinking about it. There are fair better places to eat in Singapore that offer far better food and better value for money.

Visited August 2013
LawrySingapore, Public Relations Manager at Lawry's The Prime Rib, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Owen W,

Thank you for sharing your recent dining experience at Lawry’s The Prime Rib Singapore.
We regret to hear that you did not enjoy your time dining with us. The experiences you have described are not consistent with the high standards of food we strive to achieve hence we have taken note of your comments and will feedback to our Executive Chef for review.

I would like to hear more from you, however as I do not have your contact details, kindly drop me an e-mail at mktg@lawrys.com.sg to follow up with you.

Jakarta
“Tasty & Juicy Steak”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I got a complete satisfaction when visiting Lawry's.
I made my reservation by email, and received an immediate warm welcome confirmation.

I ordered the Lawry's cut Prime Ribs.
The steak was really wonderful, tasty, tender, and juicy.
Even though I am not a big fan of salad, I must acknowledge that it's nice, with the flavorful salad dressing. The side dish of Yorkshire pudding portion was very generous, and delicious as well.

Service is another excellent aspect, the staffs provided good & attentive services, from welcoming, taking order, and serving the meal. They even provided the guest with a free souvenir, a funny cattle doll wearing a chef outfit :)

I can't wait to make another trip to Singapore, mainly to dine in this excellent restaurant.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank MiG-35
LawrySingapore, Public Relations Manager at Lawry's The Prime Rib, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you very much for your wonderful review, MiG-35!

Your feedback on our food and service is greatly appreciated and we will certainly be sharing this with the team and our Executive Chef. Positive feedback from our guests like your good-self has been the greatest sources of motivation for all of us at Lawry’s Singapore!

Our team will be looking forward to serve you and your guests in the near future!

Yours sincerely,
Tammy Chua
Sales and Marketing Manager
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
“Really good steak”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Enjoyed my time at Lawry's, the staff were attentive and professional from the moment I arrived until I left. The steak was cooked to perfection for me and the mash was really tasty, but the side salad was a bit measly and looked like a bit of an afterthought. The wine selection is good value.

• Visited July 2013
LawrySingapore, Public Relations Manager at Lawry's The Prime Rib, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Bruce L,

Thank you for your marvelous compliments! We are humbled that our service team had served you well.

We have noted your comment on our Original Spinning Bowl Salad and have notified our Executive Chef about that. Please be assured that we remains passionate in providing the best to all our guests!

Hope to see you again soon!

Yours sincerely,