“Food I grew up on”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Rochor
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Fatty's has become my favorite Chinese restaurant not only because I live upstairs (literally a few floors above) but because it's the kind of food my family grew up on. The dishes always remind me of weekend dinners out with dad, mum and sis. So it's where I happily drag all my guests, local and foreign. I am a such a regular that I have my own personal "Aunty" waitress who starts writing down my order before the words even leave my mouth. And this is the list she always writes:

1) Ku Lou Yoke (Sweet and sour pork - best there is!)
2) Dou Miao (Pea shoots in garlic - my godsons fight over these vegetables, a phenomenon that their mom finds amazing)
3) Fut Poot (Yam basket filled with chicken, veg and cashews)
4) Beef/Deer with ginger and spring onions
5) Fish slices with salted egg (owner's recommendation that's not on the menu so ask for it!)
6) Steamed fish with spicy celery sauce (Very spicy and a little pricey but extremely satisfying. A special treat whenever my parents are in town)
7) Yong Chow Fried Rice

And my foreign guests are partial to
8) Spring Rolls
9) Black Pepper Prawns
10) Ice cold Tiger Beer (served in ice buckets)

1  Thank AuntyJoJo

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Avoid the tourist traps and visit Fatty's for real Singapore dining. The food is delicious (must have the black pepper prawns) and tiger beers icy cold. Enjoyed it so much I went back the next night.

You don't come here for silver service fine dining - this is the real Singapore away from the tourist traps of orchard rd.

1  Thank csbne1
Reviewed December 1, 2012

This was close to our hotel and we were not disappointed - the food is good and the atmosphere is authentic -the decor and service are basic but friendly. If you want good food without spending all your money this is the place to go to.

1  Thank Karm62
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I love, love, love this place. Black pepper prawns are yummy and they also serve the best sweet n sour pork. If you are nearby or checking out sim lim square this place is a must!

1  Thank Natalie C
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I personally think Fatty's is great food. Prefer to sit outside as there is often a fabulous breeze blowing along the pathway. The prawns are the best, and love the crispy seafood noddles. But a must try is the mushrooms and greens... Delicious. You can buy beer and take along wine. It's an enjoyable experience.