“Our first stop in Singapore!”
Review of StraitsKitchen

StraitsKitchen
Ranked #76 of 11,073 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Singaporean, Street Food
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed December 20, 2012

The last time we were here was for lunch buffet on the first day of Chinese New Year some 3 years ago. It left us with such an impression that we have decided to make it our first stop this time. This time around we have brought some friends locally and our 18 months daughter.
The chicken rice was all the little-one could eat but I am sure she enjoyed it much. As I was recovering from a bad cold, and a sensitive thorax, I couldn't quite enjoy the spicy food on offer, which happens to be the majority of savory choices on offer. But I am sure the quality was up to the local standard, complimented by our friends.
All in all, a good meal. The durian ice cream is a must try! Please note, tea / coffee is not included, in case you are used to the HK way of buffet.

There are newer reviews for StraitsKitchen

Reviewed December 16, 2012

My favorite restaurant in Singapore for breakfast/brunch. I have repeatedly recommended it to anyone I know who goes/is going to Singapore. I had the pleasure of staying at the Grand Hyatt on more than a few occasions in Singapore and was stunned to see this restaurant located within this beautiful, business-travel friendly hotel.

The reason? Awesome food from many locations, China, Malaysia, India, and Indonesia, all freshly prepared at various stations, with fresh pressed tropical and standard juices, making this one of the most wonderful breakfast buffet choices I've ever encountered. Anywhere.

OK maybe not every single dish was noteworthy, the Chinese dishes come to mind as not my favorites, but with SO MUCH to choose from, from standard US breakfast fare to the more exotic Asian blends, the lesser dishes fade into the background. This is probably not inexpensive (I was traveling on business Per Diem) but the experience was great and was every time I went (which was 4 times).

So if you are fortunate to visit this Grand Hyatt, you owe it to yourself to visit StraitsKitchen at least once. I'm pretty certain, you will not regret it.

Oh and the coffee's good too. :)

Reviewed December 16, 2012

We frequently do short stop-overs in Singapore en route between Australia / Europe. The Straits Kitchen buffet lunch at the Grand Hyatt is a wonderful experience to sample great local food, presented beautifully in a clean, modern, stylish and 5 star environment. I have been many times and will go again. One could perhaps go more authentically to the various street food vendors around the city - and this buffet restaurant tries to re-create that in the hotel context - in my view very successfully. The curries, Indonesian dishes, Chinese, and Malay food are all delicious and the staff warm and genuine. All washed down with beautiful fresh mango juice and perhaps some durian ice cream to finish (or not). A wonderful experience.

Reviewed December 14, 2012

The food served here are as titled - Local!
Food of the local ethnicities are found here, served under the lovely ambience of the Straits Kitchen. Loved the food, loved the place. Staffs are friendly and genuine.

Reviewed December 14, 2012

A must-do for visitors to Singapore who want to sample all of the various cuisines and dishes of Singapore. From otak-otak and sates, to curries and nasi - and even durian - it's all here and it is exceptionally good!. The Indian curries are among the best I have tasted. The restaurant was full of locals for the most part, always a good endorsement. This is a buffet, but Asian style - the food is superb. Skip the hawker centres (the food is almost always ordinary) and come straight here. Highly recommended.