“Attitude of china staff”

Kelly Jie Seafood (Former TPY Mellben)
Ranked #607 of 11,201 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions
Description: Mellben Seafood –From humble beginnings of a small stall along Alexandra Road in 1988 to a popular household name for exquisite seafood dining.Opened in the year of dragon and named ‘龍海鲜螃蟹王’, Mellben Seafood has expanded in various outlets island wide, showcasing an array of delectable seafood and Chinese cuisine with a strong Singaporean identity using quality ingredients.One of the tantalizing signature dishes truly unique to Mellben is the Claypot Crab Vermicelli Soup, served in a luscious and savory thick milky broth, stewed with pure natural sweetness from the crab essence, promising a gastronomic dining experience.Today, the brand gathered not only local patrons but an international crowd appreciative of sumptuous Singapore seafood delights.
Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

Went to Mellben on 8th Nov 2013 arnd 830pm. not much ppl in line. We were served by a china male guy while waiting in line and he took our order. As we wanted a bigger chilli crab, he recommended us to take 2 smaller 800g crabs instead of 1 1kg crab. When we asked him how big was it, this was at a point he tried to smoke us. Cos basically there were sample sizes for the crabs on a chair nearby and he didnt bother to show us, didnt bother to reference us with his hands as example and just told us 2 800g crabs will b sufficient for us. So we ordered 2 800g crabs for chilli crabs n another 1kg for crab mee hoon and a seafood tofu.It was only after 10 mins another malaysian chinese staff came over to our table after we were seated and asked us if we can finish the 3 crabs as they were quite alot. So i asked her the same qn, which she then pointed and beckon me over to see how big the sample crabs were. I was stunned at first there were sample sizes close to where we were queueing but the china guy didnt bother to show us. His nonchalant heck care attitude and the fact he was trying to rip us off goes to show how irresponsible he was and just wanted to take us for carrotheads. So we changed our order to 2 1 kg crabs, one for chilli and one for crab mee hoon. Overall, waiting time was long abt 30 mins despite it was getting late and not much of a queue.
Tasted okay in summary, the crab mee hoon was cooked with black pepper sauce, mee hoon was dry type and crabmeat was not really seasoned with pinch of dryness. Chilli crab not really fantastic. Seafood tofu was nt bad. For the price of $140 paid for 2 ppl, considered quite exp.Uncle leong which has moved to toa payoh tech park still has better crabs despite both being coffeeshops, mellben just charges more for its posh setting. If u guys are planning to try out Melben, try to have a staff other than china prc to serve you, cos ultimately end of day, i wont trust them at all based on this lousy experience i had with them. Never ask china prc to recommend cos they will definitely rip you off instead of being concerned whether u can finish the crabs itself.

4  Thank Audioenslave

Reviewed August 7, 2013

It is a bit pricey for Singapore but the food is fantastic.

It is advisable to arrive early as within 30 minutes of us having arrived around 6pm, the restaurant was packed with a long queue.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

The price is not cheap while food is so-so compared to the first branch.

I went with my colleague sometime ago in the evening, but it's disappointment. We went there since we want to avoid the queue. We ordered a vegetable dish but somehow there is a small piece of plastic in it. My colleague was unlucky, she took a piece of vegetable with it.

Although its probably not intentionally, but we stopped going to that branch after that incident.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I live in the US but am a regular traveler to Singapore, in fact I go there every other month and have been doing so for years. Mellben at Toa Payoh is my absolutely favorite place to eat, and I make sure that I go there at least once or twice on every trip!
My absolute favorite is their Butter Crab. Heavenly! I cannot handle chillies so the staff is very accommodating and prepare it specially for me without chillies. I also enjoy their "cereal prawns"... HUGE juicy prawns, crispy on the outside, moist, tender and flavorful inside. Their Fried Rice is the best in Singapore, far better than the overpriced "fried rice specialists" such as Chen Fu Ji and others.
I have never had a bad meal at Mellben. Kelly Soon the owner works hard to keep up their high standards. The greatest testimony to the quality of their food is that Mellben is always full of diners enjoying their meal. People from all over the island go there to eat and it is always full every day of the week......

Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Make a reservation on a weekends but they decline me and claimed that they only took reservation for more than 10 pax!!!
Lesser than that would be walk in!!!
We arrive around 1815 hrs, restaurant was almost full house!!! Make our order at the hostess area!!! 3 wait staff approach us for the same question 'how many people'
We were direct to our table after ordering!!!
Waiting about 20 minutes!!! For the first dish arrive!!! Taste excellent especially the crab!!! We order 2 crab and ask to serve 1 follow by another!!! But disappoint came they serve both together!!! We wanted to ensure it is hot while eating as crab take time to eat!!! Restaurant was pack and queue started!!!
After paying the servers stated to clear!!! They anyhow throw the cutleries where all the sauce splash on my bag that on the chair.
Food is nice yes but the service really have to improve!!! Please be more gentle!!! You are serving human not animals!!! Give some personal touch!!!

1  Thank Dkny_y2d