“quiet, serene, and comfortable.”
Review of The Garden Slug

The Garden Slug
Ranked #7,551 of 11,489 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Cafe
Neighborhood: Joo Chiat
Neighborhood: Joo Chiat
Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

chic and affordable diner nested in a neighbourhood in the east of Singapore.

food taste good and natural. you can feel that the chef genuinely wants you to eat well and eat healthy.

a place equally great for sitting alone contemplating your life or having a fun time with friends. the staffs leave you alone if you wish and attend to you promptly when necessary.

try some of their teas if you have an afternoon here. though their main courses are delicious too.

1  Thank Jackology

Reviewed August 3, 2012

The food is quite average at this restaurant. I ordered the salmon cakes which were only cooked well on one side, and the top was not crisp at all. They were more like mounds of mash than fish cakes. My friend ordered the beef salad which was a bit tough.

1  Thank Jenbennhoutbay
Reviewed December 26, 2011

For more photos and reviews, visit my blog at http://ms-skinnyfat.blogspot.com/2011/12/hidden-finds-garden-slug.html

I love the eastern part of Singapore- it's chill, laid back, hippie and it has the highest concentration of good food. Tell me where else can you find streets packed with eateries, cafes, restaurants that are all filled? Colourful Geylang, traditional Katong and yuppie Siglap. Each one of these areas has its special personality. The boy and i kinda grew up eating at these places, attended schools here and still love hanging out in the East on our free days. True blue Easties are we. :)

Today was another indecisive Sunday BUT the boy said he'll just decide (after failed attempts to get me to choose) and he simply put me in the car. I knew the choice couldn't be wrong, after all we were headed towards the Katong area. I was quite surprised when he pulled into Telok Kurau, a residential area.

We were greeted by the cute garden slug and sleepy cats chilling out on the benches and tables. Adorable much!

The setting is very casual and relaxing. There was a old za2 huo4 dian4 (neighborhood grocery shop) just further down. It was almost like eating at a coffee shop at the old housing estates. The good weather calls for some alfresco dining, Also, i noticed that the seats inside do kinda smell of food but the diners don't seem to mind.

Very spacious interior with lotsa seats to accommodate the crowd (not that it was particularly crowded at 12pm on a Sunday).

The first thing that caught my eye was obviously "All Day Breakfasts". Breakfast is one of my favorite foods. I could do breakfast food anytime of the day, any day of the week. My future cafe is definitely gonna have ADB and tea (another of my favorite meals!). However, all the breakfast eating the past week has gotten to me so i ordered a pasta instead. I was secretly hoping that S would order from the breakfast menu so that i could steal some and he did! Worm in my tummy he is!

The fatty boy started lunch with a sundae of all things. Such a monster. Knickerbooker Glory Sunday ($12.50)- Vanilla gelato with Peach Melba, almond stracciatella, sea-salt dulce de leche & jaffa truffle bar. This is a very interesting eat. Every mouthful is a burst of flavors and the mixture was absolutely exhilarating and surprising. Some orange, then chocolate then REAL vanilla ice cream (with vanilla beans!) followed by the taste of sea salt caramel and then hitting the sweet notes with the Peach Melba again. This is a must try.

The happy boy with his sundae. He is very non-discriminating when it comes to ice cream. Any ice cream is nice according to him even though he does have favorites.

Then came our mains. His Runny Salmon Scramble-Up ($12.50)- Creamy scrambled eggs topped with lots of smoked salmon, warm toast by side. This was heavenly. The eggs were runny as promised and had a rich creamy texture to it. Z would love this for sure! The salmon provided the slight saltiness that the dish required. Only downside is that the salmon didn't seem very fresh? Didn't have a very nice bite to it? Not chewy enough i guess.

My Juicy Shrimp & Roast Pumpkin ($14.90)- A rich pink sauce of tender baked pumpkin, shrimp and whole oven-roasted garlic cloves. The linguine was more on the cooked side but the plus point is that it makes it really easy to swallow (trust me that's a good thing). I was basically gobbling mouth after mouth of pasta. The sauce was light and not too sour, perfect base for a pasta marathon. I could go on eating this forever (ok i exaggerate.)

Look at the size of the dishes. It's twice the size of my stomach!

Obviously the pasta was too much even for 2 of us!

Happy us after a good Sunday lunch. The carb and sugar overload sent us home to our beds and we napped till the next meal. Piggies we are.

In all, The Garden Slug provides high quality hearty meals. The service was also excellent, the servers extremely attentive to the guests and anticipated every need the diners may have. Serving plates were served without being asked because they knew we would be sharing. Quick, polite and warm service staff always helps in retaining and attracting new customers. This i feel TGS has done extremely well. I would certainly be back. :)

1  Thank ms-skinnyfat
Reviewed May 19, 2011

We just moved in across the street so we've been to the Garden Slug three times in one week. Each time we order something different in hope that it is half decent. Unfortunately each time we've been disappointed.

The beef wagyu burger ruined a decent piece of meat with cheap, rubbery cheese that usually comes in a plastic wrapper. If you're going to use expensive ingredients like wagyu beef, you also need a nice piece of aged cheddar or Swiss cheese. The bun was also not toasted properly. The gumbo was not a gumbo. It was sausages and baked beans with tomato sauce in a bowl. Gumbos are supposed to be heavily seasoned and full of flavor. This was neither.

We came here for breakfast the next day and the big breakfast only had an egg, sausage and hash brown. No bacon, no tomato, no mushrooms. The sausage was also the same sausage that they used for gumbo the night before. Sausage in a gumbo should be smoked and spicy, which is not suitable as a breakfast sausage. The coffee is weak and has a burnt taste. Enough said.

Lastly, the spaghetti bolognese was drowning in sauce and topped with big chunks of zucchini and carrot. This is not Italian food. This is food an 18 year student who just left home would cook at his or her university flat. Bolognese is a meat sauce and any vegetables in it should be diced an cooked into the sauce. The spaghetti should be tossed with the sauce so that it's just covered. Having just spent 3 weeks in Italy, I couldn't even eat this.

Perhaps if you haven't been to any cafes in western countries the food might be ok. But if you are an expat looking for some decent cafe food, I would not recommend the Garden Slug.

Reviewed September 7, 2010

With a 4 1/2 year old boy and a 15 month old baby, this is where we can have a big enough table to put all the dishes, and still have room as the "kids' corner". We feel right at home here (it's just 5 mins walk from our place) and is the go-to place when we feel like a big meal without cooking up a storm. It's perfect for families with young kids because they have all the dishes the kids love - pizza, pasta, cakes, you name it. The staff might just be your family too - they might be busy with other patrons, but they also wouldn't mind you DIY - from refilling water to getting new spoons/forks to replace those dropped by the kids... the only thing is that it's a little bit pricey as a neighborhood restaurant.

2  Thank gigifoo