“3-in-1 for me: Great value, yummy food and warm service!”
Review of Dozo Japanese Restaurant - CLOSED

Dozo Japanese Restaurant
Cuisines: Japanese, Fusion
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Tanglin
Reviewed June 28, 2012

My husband first brought me there to try their degustation menu on my birthday in February. I am usually quite particular about food, especially on special occasions! Didn't expect much as I hadn't heard of this restaurant before, but was pleasantly surprised by the good food, which was somewhat different because of its fusion nature, and personal service. So we went there a 2nd time recently in mid-June to celebrate my parents' belated 40th wedding anniversary, Fathers' Day and mum's birthday... 3-in-1! When I called to make the booking, they asked what the occasion was and this was reflected in the personal touch with the gesture of complimentary mini-muffins at dessert time, with the occasion indicated in chocolate sauce on the plates.

Both visits, we got private rooms and both times, we were greeted by very personal and warm service staff, who took care to explain their menus and attend to our needs, while giving us the right balance of privacy.

Most of the dishes on the degustation menu were lovely. I especially enjoyed their beef tataki and soft shell crab on a bed of mashed potatoes for appetisers and kurobuta pork as the main. Their sashimi was fresh, so am surprised by the earlier review that it was served on a warm plate. Warm lava cake could not go wrong with the right amount of oozing upon the 1st cut! I have only one negative comment on their truffle chawanmushi which is rather forgettable, especially as I could hardly taste the truffle.

However, given the cost of the meal over a weekend in Singapore these days (compared to booking some pricey hotel buffet where I have to fight with many others at a buffet line that I hate), I would say that I got a very enjoyable experience with interesting and yummy food, excellent and personable service, and at great value... another 3-in-1! I would definitely go back there again. :)

Reviewed June 19, 2012

This is probably the first time I ever had to use the word "Weird" to describe an experience at a restaurant.

From the get-go, when we saw word "Japanesque" on the front doors and walked into the dim, tired-looking, musty pub-like ambience of Dozo, we geared ourselves for an 'interesting' dining experience. And 'interesting' it was.

We took the eight course degustation set, whereby we could choose one item from each category (hot & cold starters, soup, mains, drink, etc) and because we were in a big group, each of us ordered a different item and were able to taste all items on the menu. And suffice to say, practically every item was underwhelming and/or weird (in presentation, taste, philosophy, etc). It was like they were trying to be avantgarde JapFrench but unfortunately ended up being neither, or any genre of cuisine for that matter. And note to Chef: putting poorly cooked Foie Gras onto everything does not make it more edible or presentable. And also, no, it's never a good idea to serve Sashimi on hot towel plates.

The interior, furniture, cutlery and general facade of the restaurant is cheap, tacky and in dire need of replacement/refurbishment. And they try to mask it with the dim lighting. Tell me that I'm in a seedy karaoke joint with GROs on the way, and I would believe you. The entire restaurant even smells stale and funky.

The service was also weird, in the sense that the servers all have this air of grandeur about them like we are dining in a stuffy starred restaurant. It is especially odd because their spoken English was so bad; we never could understand a word they muttered whenever they came to introduce the food to us.

We left feeling like it was the weirdest meal we ever had! Don't bother going.

1  Thank FoodEnthused
Reviewed June 6, 2012

If you have been here once, you will come back again.

Its course menu, at a reasonable price (especially lunch!)
dont be itimidated by the number of course. they come in small portions and you will feel just right when you are done at dessert.

king prawn and beef on hot stone are their recommendations.

Knowledge staff can guide you on the choices on the courses!

dinner is more expensive than lunch, but there is one more course during dinner.
nice business setting (rooms are available) or romantic dinner for two.

Reviewed February 25, 2012

When you go in and are seated, they will present you a menu with various categories.

Choose 1 from every category, and the waiter will be more than happy to recommend for you.

The food is decent, but the best part is the price.

At the end of the meal, I was very full.
Don't expect eating like Joel Robuchon, but for what you pay, it's more than worth it.

Good for a date or a fun night out trying new food.
Service was excellent, they explained how to eat every dish.

Good job!

Reviewed February 20, 2012

I have been to this restaurant a few times with family and friends. The restaurant is quite unique, in that it serves a mixture of Japanese and French food. The mushroom soup is very tasty, and the beef on hot stone is just nice. You can leave the beef on the hot stone for longer if you want the beef to be more well done.

There is a wide selection of seafood on the 5 to 6 course set menu too, if you are a seafood lover.

The ambience is very romantic for two too, if you want to dine there with your spouse; otherwise it is not bad for special occasions such as family gatherings too.

1  Thank singaporeguest2009