“Not as crowded but just as nice (food)” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Red House Seafood Restaurant

Red House Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #237 of 10,422 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Chinese, Seafood, Asian, Singaporean
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: The Quays
Singapore
“Not as crowded but just as nice (food)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

Typically, we bring our guests to Jumbo for the Singapore seafood experience. But it gets ridiculous if we couldn't get a table until 9pm even when making reservations one week out. If you are in a similar predicament, head for Red House seafood.

IMHO, the food is just as good, as least as far as the main dishes are concerned. That would be the famous chilli and black pepper crabs. Another plus is the ambience. No hurried waitresses, loud crowds, etc. you get the picture.

• Visited July 2013

• Thai first
England
“Unpleasant experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

Restaurant was near my hotel in a nice quiet spot by the river. As a lone diner, I felt fine about being there on my own. These were the reasons I chose it.
I sat outside and it was an age before anyone came for my order. The waitress couldn't speak any English so she did the next best thing, which was to leave me alone! I guess they wanted to make money on drinks so were not pleased when I asked for tea. I had a vegetarian meal which was good enough, nothing special. The service was slow, and rude and made me feel bad. I wouldn't go again,
I have reviewed the prices as good, but bear in mind this is because I had a vegetarian dish and rice only, that with the tea, service charge and taxes cost $17.40.

• Visited October 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Pfeiffer
Adrian, Michigan
1,296 restaurant reviews
“Good Seafood but a little on the Expensive Side”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

We decided on this place because my colleague wanted Chili Crab since it was his first visit to Singapore. We also did not want to stray far from our hotel. An internet search turned up this restaurant as the main option in Robertson Quay. The restaurant is well located overlooking the river and features open air dining. The décor is fairly plain and favors the look of a seafarer's restaurant. We were seated promptly and our order was taken in a very timely manner. The server was very helpful in helping us sort through our choices. We decided on corn chowder as a starter and found it to be surprisingly very tasty (surprising because the specialty is seafood). For the mains, we had the chili crab, of course, as well as the spicy seafood mix. The latter was very good as it was spiced well enough to have a kick while still maintaining a full body of flavor. The chili crab was also quite good and the sweet and hot taste of the chili sauce was nicely balanced. The biggest negative was the prices as I would say they were a little expensive for the type of establishment it is (perhaps as opposed to what it thinks it is). With a minimal amount of drinks included, the bill for two was about $200 SGD, which is about $150 USD. While the food was good, it was not that good. Hence, the quality of the food was very good while the value for the price paid was marginal at best.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Brisbane, Australia
“Good banquet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

We decided to order the seafood banquet for 2 so we could try several dishes and not pay too much for the crab which can be expensive as charged by the weight. We knew what we would be paying upfront. We enjoyed razor clams, lobster, lobster noodles, chilli crab, asparagus in XO sauce, dessert and a glass of wine. The outside seating tho still undercover, is more pleasant then the frenetic atmosphere and bright lights inside. While not cheap ($68++ SD pp) the banquet is reasonable value and quite an experience. Eating the crab was a messy business but worth it as it was delicious. Charging extra for tea and wet wipes is a bit much tho. One small towel is not enough to deal with the messy crab and sauce so take a pack of your own!

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Sue S
Geneva, Switzerland
“Good if you go with someone that knows what they are doing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

Went with a friend who lives here, but I would imagine I would be lost if I wandered in as a lone tourist. They served a mean chilli crab, and decent prawns, but again, all of the sides that were useful, like rice and buns, and gloves, crab crackers, and bibs, seemed to be something that saved the meal that wouldnt have been provided had someone who had been there before spoken up. And yes, it is expensive for singapore, but seems a bit strange to get totally ripped off like others mentioned (as not even the big chilli crab cost thaat much), and while service was ok, we were one of the few patrons still around near closing time. So, if you want to try the chilli crab and dont feel like venturing out of the center, ask for one medium crab, some bread and rice, and the crab gear, and you should do just fine.

• Visited June 2013