“glorious crabs”

Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Singaporean
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed May 28, 2013

After a long day of theme park hopping, my family and i decided to try the very popular Mellben Seafood restaurant at Ang Mo Kio. It was a weekday and yet the line was still so long even at 830 in the evening. We waited for an hour and a half and were told that as soon as we sit down, we would have to wait for another hour for our order. Since that was the only night that we had available for that restaurant, we patiently just waited. To make the long line story short, we ordered thir butter crabs and beehoon crab soup. Both were really good but the butter crab stood out especially when you dip your fried mantou in it. Service was actually good as soon as you sit down. Fortunately we only waited for our foor to arrive for about 20 minutes.

Will I still line up for an hour and a half for it? NO. I'd rather order take away, pick it up and eat it at the nearby hawker center :P It's just crazy to line up that long for a crab. It was really good but the line is not worth it. REALLY.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

My local friend suggested this place. No regret with the long Q as the food is awesome. We ordered the Big Sri Lankan crab to be cooked in Buttercream and Claypot Meehoon soup. Thumbs up....Must tried their fried bun, goes well with the buttercream sauce.

Go early to avoid long Q especially during weekend.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Unbeatable crab with solid meat, as well as other impressive dishes. We two ordered Crab(stirred fried with Salty egg and cheese), Curry Pork Chop and Golden Bean Curd. Can't say anything on the crab, coz we both are busy with eating. Surprisingly the Curry Pork chop is awesome: Tender as chicken, with rich and tasty gravy. OMG, we paid SGD45 per person for all this that we can't finish and we are so satisfied. The quality and taste is impressive. Proper dollar value.

BTW, the crab is SGD55 per KG in my visit.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Check out some blogs on Singapore food and you'll be bewildered. Melben Seafood is good for its price. Love the fried buns.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

My friends came to visit me so we went to Mellben since it's very famous to the locals. The must taste dish is Chilli crab and Black pepper crab and some other crab but i didnt remember. We order the 2 mentioned crab above for 3 ppl and the food was very delicious. Though everyone says Chilli crab but I prefer Black pepper crab since the chilli crab is too sweet for me

1  Thank Haki123