“Simply comfort food”

Neighborhood: Orchard Road
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Simply comfort food”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

My husband and I travel occasionally to Singapore and I didn't realize until this last trip that there was a Dan Ryan's around the corner from our hotel. We used to go to Dan Ryan's regularly when we lived in Hong Kong, and then Taiwan. Being from Chicago, I used to love the decor, especially in Hong Kong, and we enjoyed many birthday parties, after work drinks, and late night bar sojourns for comfort food. We now live in Malaysia, where it's impossible to find really good deli food, so during our recent 3-night stay in Singapore our first night had to be a Reuben sandwich at Dan Ryan's.

We went on a Friday night about 6:30pm and the restaurant/bar were nearly empty. The decor is tired compared to the Hong Kong branch but we were there for the food, not the ambiance. The staff was efficient but offered us the dinner menu which confused me as there were no sandwiches listed; turns out that there is a separate lunch/bar menu. My husband ordered a cheeseburger and I ordered the Reuben. We also ordered the house Sauvignon Blanc and a Cab Sav; quite decent for the price/venue and 3/4 glass serving which was generous. We were not disappointed with the food...a juicy (huge) burger for my husband and I was in heaven with my Reuben sandwich and fries. We had a second glass of wine and were far too full for dessert. The price was also very reasonable as it should be for a comfort food/deli meal.

Our second night we went out to a chic, upscale restaurant. There are so many good restaurants, of all types, in Singapore that we should have gone to yet a different restaurant on the third night, but I knew I wouldn't be coming back to Singapore any time soon so I have to admit we went back to Dan Ryan's for the same meal. My arteries may not have been very happy, but my stomach and grunge-food-taste-buds were. (And even worse was that on his return to Malaysia a few days after I had already left, since it's just a 1-hr flight, I asked my husband to get take out from Dan Ryan's of 4 Reuben sandwiches to bring back for us/our neighbors in Kuala Lumpur....pathetic but true and I will going back to this restaurant for a dose of more comfort deli food every return to Singapore...I wish there was a branch in KL!).

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank Asiaexpat81

Singapore, Singapore
“Always a good choice”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Dan Ryan's, located next to The Regent Hotel , has been around for many years and we have visited the restaurant many, many times. It still looks the same , great ambiance and a super choice for a casual dinner with friends. If you reserve a booth it is a great venue for a romantic dinner.Food and service consistent and always good and reasonable.

• Visited February 2013
Brisbane, Australia
“Food was good and the beer was cold”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

What more could you ask for on a hot day but have some very cold beer and good pub food. Gets crowded after hours

Visited January 2013
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“easy tasty meal”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

when you feel like some western food in an asian city this place is great for the family or a bunch of blokes . the service is quick and the prices are good

Visited January 2013
Houston, Texas
“Excellent Steak & Seafood”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

This restaurant is tucked away from the main Orchard Road but in walking distance of most major hotels in Singapore. The ambiance is great with comfortable seating in a booth or at a table. The food is well prepared and service is excellent. Good selection of wine and other beverages. Great for customer entertainment as it is quiet with great food.

• Visited November 2012