“Good food and service” 4 of 5 bubbles

Margarita's Dempsey Hill
Ranked #470 of 10,422 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Tanglin
“Good food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014

We have been frequenting this place for over 6 yrs now. Have never been dissappointed with the food or service. The nachos are amazing as are the enchiladas.

Visited February 2014

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
Munich, Germany
“A terrible Friday evening”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

Today we have been at this restaurant with our 6 year old son. At Margarit`s they do not serve a kids menue. Just Margarita Pizza - and that for 20 Dollar.
This pizza was so bad that my son did not eat it. The tomato sauce was sweet and the pizza was very soft. We told the waiter - but he did not do anything. My husband ordered a Beef Enchilada and I ordered a Pollo Enchilada I asked the waiter to put less meat inside and instead more salad or green stuff. The food was very soft and the taste was far away from real Mexican Food.
Then we received the invoice. At the beginning the waiter told us that the Pizza will be 18 Dollars. Now he charged us 20 Dollars (more as for the adult enchiladas) And for my "less meat" enchilada they also charged me 20 instead of 19 Dollars.
We asked the Supervisor. We told him that the Pizza Price for a child is rip off. He did not agree. He just said sorry that his waiter first told us that the pizza is 18 Dollars - the correct price is 20 Dollars. He told me that the higher Price for my Enchilada is due to the menue Change. You ask for less meat - and pay even more at the end. We felt being cheated.
The supervisor was very arrogant and told us about the location, the price and the cost of the service people..... Come on - this is no argument for terrible food and high prices.
We will definetly do not come back.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DianaPeking
Gurgaon
“Horrible Service (but food is OK) - never going again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

Our first visit to Dempsey Hill during our visit to Singapore, and with so many choices for restaurants, it is unfortunate that we picked this one. Very disappointing service. Started out nic and friendly and helpful, but what disappointed us is that afer waiting longer than normal for the appetizer (but assuming this was because they needed time to make it properly), when we were about to slowly enjoy eating our appetizer, 30 seconds later the main dishes were served.

What to do? Skip the appetizer to eat the main dishes hot? Or eat the appetizer and eat cooled down main dishes? Or rush through the appetizer and not enjoy it?

Such a basic thing completely messed up. In fairness, I'll present their view: that my son said he was hungry when ordering and he asked them to bring the food quickly - but I also added at that time to bring the appetizer first before the main dishes (which is normally the case anyway, and not something I should need to state). Also, bringing the appetizer first would have met my son's request, and there can still be a gap for the main dishes.

There were two other annoying aspects to the service which I won't get into here - but both related to unclear communication which led us to believe one thing, and then we were surprised when we saw the bill because this was different from our understanding.

Finally - despite all of this - when I raised these concerns, there was not an iota of understanding/recognition that the customer might have a valid point of view, or at least some logic to his viewpoint (this applies both to the first issue highlighted above, and also to the two minor issues noted above). This in particular is what escalates this from just an annoying part of the evening (which I could have minimized in this review) to a very disappointing and frustrating experience. One of the most basic rules for cusotmer service is that it "takes two hands to clap", and even a simple recognition of our view would have been appreciated. Taking a self-righeous view is unprofessional and unappreciated when dealing with any customer. In my case, having eaten at top restaurants around the world for over 20 years, and having written around 60 TripAdvisor reviews with thousands of views, I was flabbergated by the attitude shown at this restaurant as compared wiht the attitude I've seen at other restaurants around the world.

Now the rest - food was OK, Swiss cheese spinach enchilada was nice, and rest were OK/good. Ambience was nice. These points brought this from 'Terrible' to 'Poor'. But the poor service definitely left an indelible memory...

• Visited April 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TheVeggieWanderer
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Best mexican ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

This place has everything you need a restaurant.
- Ambience
- Tasty food
- Great service

Our Aunt/ Uncle who live in Singapore took us to this place and said we couldn't leave without trying it, and I have to agree. The food was so good that I still miss the flavour of the potato skins that Andy (owner of Margarita's) had just introduced to the menu.

• Visited March 2014
Singapore, Singapore
“Best mexican food in Singapore”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

I frequently visit this place and thought it deserves a review. The staff are very well trained and attentive, and the food is incredible. I would recommend the Fajita's or the Burrito, they never disappoint. And if you're having dessert - the Leche Frita is a MUST have, it is out of this world.

I love the location of Dempsey Hill as well. I would definitely recommend this place for great Mexican food.

• Visited February 2014