“food as expected”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
“food as expected”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

food as expected. place can get very crowded. not all the kind of food is served every day.
very noisely

• Visited August 2012

• Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Singapore
“Old Hong Kong Dim Sum Charm”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

If you are like me, a Hong Konger living in Sinagpore who need to satisfy his craving for Hong Kong style push cart dim sum early in the morning ( I mean like 7am), Red Star is your choice, or may be the only choice!

The quality of dim sum may not the the best in town, but some of the items are quite nice. It is the environment that brings me back again to Red Star. It makes me feel right at home with the chattering of Cantonese around me. Early in the morning it is rather quiet, but from about 9am over weekends, it would start getting busy. When it gets busy it is worthwhile to go hunt after the carts and get whatever dim sum you want. That's what I do as a child living in Hong Kong going yum cha with my parents.

The best items for me is the steamed rice in a ceramic bowl which is not available in push carts, you have to order it through the waiters. Try steamed rice with salted fish and pork patty, or steamed rice with minced beef patty and a raw egg.

Amidst the modern 'tick what you want on a dim sum chit' restaurants, Red Star kept the old dining heritage which is slowly disappearing. It is a special place to bring children to especially!!

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank CSom
“awesome dim sum”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

The different kind of dim sums and large choice of dishes from the menu is great too, tends to be busy and crowded during buffet hours, will be ideal to taste a little of everything

Visited May 2012
Singapore
“Horrific Service, So-So Food and Pricey.”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I went there with my parents on a Saturday morning.

There was no queue which was amazing considering it's always so crowded. We were seated somewhere in the middle which we thought was good. Strategic locations to catch the food carts we thought.

We waited so long for the food carts to come. I would say 90% of our food were self service. I had to go after the food carts as they seem to be stuck elsewhere. Other people had to go after the food carts too. The dim sum could not be replenished in time.

During payment, I asked for the service charged to be waived as I did most of the servicing myself. The cashier just shrugged her shoulder and said "company policy, must pay". She also gave a very nonchalant facial expression. No smiles, no apologies, no nothing.

This will be my last time here.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Magdalene T
Metro Manila, Philippines
“SOOOO GOOOD!”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

This place is hidden on the 7th floor of the apartment building, so you have to know about it, but boy was it good! The staff was very helpful when we were trying to decide what to order. We were the only non-Chinese people in the house and it was a very authentic experience. It can get crowded, so going for a late Dim Sum lunch is a good idea-- there were plenty of tables available when we went in.

• Visited January 2013